šŸ”· FiiO BTR5

Can two BTR5s be synced with each other, so you can have one set of headphones (i.e. the Aeon 2 closed) and have each 4pin cable connect to a separate BTR5 on each side? I might be misunderstanding what is written on the Fiio Website - https://www.fiio.com/btr5

57%20AM

I think they are just explaining how they use two/dual dacs with their balanced output design. Though they are wording it pretty weird.

1 Like

Yeah Robert is right, the BTR5 uses two seperate ES9218P DACs in balanced mode, one for each channel. In single ended mode just one DAC is used. Theyā€™re the same quad DACs as found in some LG phones, but two of them. So dare I say it, in effect, octo-dacs?! :slight_smile:

You raise an interesting thought experiment though. The BTR5ā€™s donā€™t sync with each other, but I wonder if you connected a couple up to a transmitter capable of multipairing and wired up a suitable cable for each side of the Aeons if theyā€™d be in sync or give you an instant headache.

Hereā€™s an odder thought - and maybe closer to what you were hoping for - if you could somehow sync them, bridge the two amps in each unit, turning them into single channel monoblocks, and wire one to each side of the headphone. Thatā€™d be close to half a watt per channel right?. And almost certainly utter madness/drivel. Time for bed! :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, that is what I was thinking ā€œif you could somehow sync them, bridge the two amps in each unit, turning them into single channel monoblocks, and wire one to each side of the headphone.ā€ Is that even a possible option for two BTR5s?

1 Like

I donā€™t think so no. Brainstorming, I guess you could seperate left and right at source, run two transmitters with one running L on both of its channels and the other running R on both of its channels. Thatā€™s assuming that the transmitters stay synced which I doubt would happen, not with the variance in lag. If they did stay synced you could link a BTR5 to each of them and at that point you would have the potential of using the balanced outputs to drive either side of a headphone I guess, but as the driver is expecting a mono input youā€™d end up shorting the grounds of the BTR5 and bad things would happen. If you somehow had a headphone that could be bi-amped then it would have the potential to work - again assuming the two sides stay synced. Thatā€™s a lot of assumptions! So I reckon the answer is almost certainly no, itā€™d be much better to just use a more powerful Bluetooth dac/amp to begin with.

Found one!

1 Like

Dude! You canā€™t just post a pic and give no link, youā€™re playing with my emotions! How long is it? Looks nice and short. Itā€™s funny you should post that right now, cos a few hours ago Amazon delivered these -

FiiO CL06 Type C to Micro USB OTGā€¦ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DLQ2XYZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

UGREEN USB C Micro USB Adapterā€¦ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073VH55WF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

They work fine, the only issue is that my phone charges the BTR5, which isnā€™t ideal. I canā€™t seem to find a way around it, thereā€™s no software option (except one that may possibly work if I root my phone and edit some system files) and hardware wise I donā€™t think I can snip a power wire without screwing up the sync too.

But where did you find that cable? Do tell! :smiley:

2 Likes

Haha. Iā€™m going to blame HiFi Guides for that one. I actually posted the link and it converted it to the image.

Xduoo has it on their page. Sorry I didnt find it sooner!

1 Like

I forgive you, I suppose :neutral_face: That looks spot on, thanks very much. After all the Googling Iā€™ve done I canā€™t believe I never once came across it, Iā€™m pretty sure I reached the end of the internet. Iā€™ll see if I can find one in the UK, thatā€™s the next challenge :smiley:

When I was looking for portable DAC/amps to drive my P1s, at one point I had considered the xDuoo XD-05 and the Plus. I dismissed them in the end because theyā€™re huge and not that quiet for IEMā€™s, but I was leaning towards the Plus because it was USB C rather than that full sized male A plug/socket thing (which oddly FiiO have chosen for their new Hip-DAC?!). So clearly an xDuoo C-C cable must exist to attach the Plus to a phone or DAP. If only the different parts of my brain would talk to each other occasionally my life would be so much easier :brain: :wastebasket:

I wonder if the xDuoo cable will charge the BTR5 like this FiiO cable does. The FiiO cable comes with a warning saying that while your phone may say itā€™s charging your device, itā€™s actually not. Well tell my BTR5 and phone that, FiiO, cos they beg to differ. I may well end up spending more on cables than I did the flipping DAC!. Thanks again anyway, Iā€™ll get one ordered :smiley:

1 Like

Funny, I was actually reading your response and thought, ā€œDid I write this?ā€. I was looking at the amp for the same exact reason. Zeos had the P1 paired with the xDuoo and I loved it. When I bought my own P1, Iā€™ve been disappointed. I canā€™t get what I want out of them.

When I was lookimg at the site, I remembered seeing your post. The rest is history.

Well Iā€™m glad someone remembered something at least!. I was just Googling for that xDuoo cable and I swear itā€™s a ghost, I canā€™t find a single link to it, even to their own site. If you didnā€™t know it existed youā€™d never find it. What have you got to hide, xDuoo?!.

Iā€™m sorry to hear youā€™re not happy with your P1s. I was a bit underwhelmed until I chucked a decent gob of power at them and they really opened up for me and they quickly rose high on my list. But I guess youā€™ve already done that and theyā€™re just not for you. If itā€™s the bottom end then you can cover the vent holes and raise it a few dB, and theyā€™ll take a bit of EQ to raise it a little further too, but theyā€™re definitely not the best for that.

I must admit when I bought the Shuoer Tapes it was immediately clear what Iā€™d been missing down low! I love those IEMā€™s dearly, although I dialled back the lower treble a smidge. Still, for female vocals and acoustic stuff the P1s are some of my favourites, even when Iā€™m not on the go. But different strokes for different folks I guess, phones that rock someoneā€™s world will leave another person absolutely cold. I guess thatā€™s why thereā€™s a million of them out there!

May I ask if youā€™ve had experience with one of the Mpows that Zeos previously recommended?
Would really like to know if theyā€™re good enough for entry-level or save up for these proper BT audio ones.

1 Like

I would say grab a fiio ubtr or btr1k instead. As those are pretty decent and cheap.

1 Like

I canā€™t say I have. However, I think it really depends on what you are using it for. In the car or on low-mid level speakers, the MPOW will probably cut it. I bought the BTR5 because I wanted to power full size headphones and power-hungry IEMs. What is your setup? As RiceGuru mentioned, I would go with Fii, specifically because they have a great reputation.

Thanks for the recommendation! Though I found these to be priced oddly where I could get them. The ubtr seems too high at $40, then btr1k ($55) is so closely priced to the btr3 ($60). Seems like the btr3 is the best deal I could find, is it a mistake to go for btr3 now that btr5 ($120) are out (of stock lol)?

@The3rik I plan to use it as an all-around solution and to expand around it with future gears. I donā€™t have any amp/dacs yet so I thought these could fit right in for both portable use and as a desktop dac instead of my planned Fiio K3/Sonata dongle dac.

I currently have budget Chi-Fi IEMs from KZ and Blon, ksc75, kph30i, Pro 82s, and Blon B8, also planning for proper open-backs soon like the shp9500, hd58x, he4xx, and proper bookshelf speakers from edifier, I currently have a 2.1 set from logitech that sounds too bassy so I donā€™t use them much.

1 Like

Interesting. Do you mind if I ask where you are? I agree with your assessment. Those are likely too high for what you get. However the BTR3 is still very good at that price. Great features and plenty of power for what you have. Here is why you were recommended BTR1K OR UBTR. These are the price points in the states.

MPOW - $20
UBRR - $22
BTR1K - $40
BTR3 - $70
ES100 - $100
BTR5 - $130

Those prices are accurate for what you get. Seems like a great deal for the BTR3.

1 Like

Oops. Edit: @RiceGuru is from Canada

Almost pulled the plug on these but opted for the Shanling UP2 instead. They donā€™t get a lot of love but at 67mw output power they should be enough for Tin T2s and 80 dollars seems like good value. Hopefully I wonā€™t regret it cause the BTR5 also looks great.

1 Like

I rely on Asian ecommerce sites locally available here in the Philippines like Lazada and Shopee, then Aliexpress if I canā€™t find the item locally like the btr5 but bearing that slight issue of shipping time and customs tax. I do check the Amazon US price points and see how close I could get to retail price here since most resellers here would greatly up the prices, I once found Fiio K3 at $180!

BTW I noticed the uBTR in white is actually closer to retail at $30 but I realize they canā€™t be used as a desktop usb dac which the BTR1k and BTR3 can. Iā€™ve been meaning to ask, would you recommend these tiny devices anyway to be used as desktop dac on a daily basis though? I really feel like I could skip the dedicated budget desktop amp/dac combos like the K3 since these exist now.

1 Like

That makes sense. Iā€™m not sure about the desktop DAC question. The BTR3 does work, but I havenā€™t used it that way. The BTR5 is a great option for that. Someone else would have to weigh in on using it for desktops. My guess is that they all work great.