$1000 dreams, what would you do?

no worries!! I definitely appreciate the knowledge bombs

More info is always more useful, and this entire hobby is subjective so don’t worry about it lol

Yeah they were discontinued earlier this year iirc, used you can find them around the 250 range which is a really good value for sure but the signature might be hit or miss for some

Ah ok gotcha then most options should be just fine then. Later on if you wanted to buy a dedicated editing set grabbing a dt880 600 ohm would be perfect for that goal (and great for listening too) imo if you felt what you had was too colored but depending on the headphone you get you could just use your main and be just fine

i will +1 the hawks. M0N actually got me to try them after hearing some people really bash on them and then i saw a thread where people just LOVED them for their warm, lush sound without being mushy or unrefined. also the most comfortable headphone ive ever used. remember there are 2 versions one closed and one semi open. i think the opens are considered better but not sure. can find on AV exchange on reddit for 250 - 300, when i heard the edition XX i was blown away as well. takes well to EQ also. dont think either would be best for editing or monitoring. but i guess in a pinch anything will work lol people LOVE the dt880 600 ohm but ive never tried, ive heard they take some serious juice but dont quote me.

A whole lotta fun without being technically lacking for the price, pretty nice

Not really no lol

:+1:

They do, that being said the spark powers them decently well but they really open up on something like an asgard. Also quoted lol

hahah well in that case (please don’t judge me too much :pray:)

these are some albums that I want the really shine (at least some songs on it)

in rainbows - radiohead
xx - the xx
fevers and mirrors - bright eyes
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - kanye
bigger, better, faster, more! - 4 non blondes
neon bible - arcade fire
house of rising sun (song) - the animals
Any song by Mana
And generic r&b pop sound like The Weeknd
Decent performance with some country (older stuff)

I see almost 50/50 more bass heavy and smooth music and some more airy music. the planar offerings will give you more air and space (not always), and the dynamics especially bio dynamic like the hawks will make the weekend feel like warm honey being slowly swirled around your brain especially with EQ. i did prefer the XX or similar planar for vocals and some strings . it just sounds HUGE and open but the bass may not be exactly rumbling like you want for kanye or the weekend. not to say it doesnt have good bass. its just planar-y which means fast and crisp not “juicy” lol (this is just my opinion obv)

I was a pretty big advocate for Hawks before I went crazy and fell into the IEM rabbit hole.

I think Hawks do amazing well with any modern music that you are okay with chilling to. If you’re not seeking a ton of detail and sparkle, you will have a lot of fun with Hawks. They have superb bass and slam, but yet stay relaxed and chill. They are also ridiculously comfortable (physically and sound-wise) for very long sessions too.

The downside is that they will be harder to find, but have patience.

2 Likes

IEMS are just crazy these days, just like going crazy deep into speakers, i love it though. also i agree on what you said with the hawks. if you want air and sparkle you might want something else but i would say those things are more specific than the average person is looking for; at least not more than what hawks do well already, that being said its worth noting those things because they are important especially if good planars are in your budget as well. BTW planars arent the only thing that does good air and sparkle i dont mean to come off that way.

@wall_o_flow if you are looking for some nighthawks, I actually have a pair I was thinking about selling soon. If you are interested let me know in dm and we can work something out :smile:

2 Likes

You need something that does well with vocals. I think that’s priority #1 for sure.

That’s actually a great way to frame it because I remember needing something that would perform on “Songs From The Big Chair”, and was not satisfied till I found it.

lol. I think that is fair, love me some exceptional vocals

Circling back here now that my setup is up and working!

Ended up with Nighthawks, focusrite 2i2 (ended up getting a mic), asgard 3! So far, it’s been great

Thanks to everyone for their input, it really helped :slight_smile:

If anyone has a good idea for a partner for the nighthawks, give a shout

4 Likes

asgard 3 is such a dope amp for the price. my whole set up is now schiit products. USA. the nighthawks were always amazing to me its strange how they didnt really catch on to much although there is a cult following of sorts. a good pair would be a nice planar. the aeon 2 closed is the cleanest sounding device ive ever heard. even the aeon x is great for same price as nighthawks. nice pairing because the sound isnt nearly as dark as the hawks. not dark at all to me actually. quite neutral . idk if you would be into that . also maybe the new gold planar hype lol seems to be turning out pretty good but its pricey. good luck.

2 Likes

Yo whered you snag the night hawks from