500 - 1000 range IEM upgrade?

Ha ha, isn’t it like 10-20 bucks. The 03 sounded low res too (in the bass particularly) but for the price, they are very good IMO. Super budget.

The 03 with mesh mod doesnt sound low res to me though. You should try the mod, improves it a lot.

You can “demo” the mod by just removing the mesh and try it without any mesh at all (if you dont have any 3rd party mesh around).

2 Likes

Thanks folks, all cool advices! I like the idea of understanding my actual sound preferences and then work the way up. That’s a very reasonable approach. I just ordered blon 03 after reading some reviews. :slight_smile:

gl, I advice that you also get yourself a good silicone tips collection.

Some recs/favorites of mine:

Final Audio Type E (can get them through the Final Audio E1000 iems, high value and you can experience a warm neutral sound profile with those iems)

Sony EP-EX11 (budget Type E tips)

Spinfits CP145

Azla Sedna Earfits (very big tips, the largest I know, 1 size bigger than normal)

JVC Spiral Dots/Spiral Dots++

It is especially important to have a big tip collection since those blon 03 can be a big ass pain to fit.

Oh I see. I still have hard time to believe that eartips would affect sound quality… but I ordered comply T500 for my STP a few days ago and will see how it goes. I will also give a try for some of the ones you mentioned here. I also noticed that you specific mentioned “silicone tips”. Is that because silicone tips are really just better than foam tips or you just happened to only have experiences on silicone tips? I have a fairly large ear hole, not many silicone tips fit me well I experienced before… (But I have to confess that I’ve never tried any better ones before only just the ones that came with the earbuds)

I have large ear holes as well, so I use large for everything (except azla, which are one size bigger than average, so I use ML with those).

Silicone tips specifically because they give you the “real” sound, while foams changes the sound a lot more. (deviation from what the tuner of the iem intended.)

Foam tips are like “cheating” very easy to fit but not the correct sound.

I used to use foams when I first started (I ordered a ton of silicone tips…no-name ones from amazon and they were shit) so thats why I wasnt a fan of silicone either. Once I started to know to buy from these specific brands, I never used foams again.

No offense but this is crazy. The ear tips are possibly more important than the IEM itself. If you do not have a complete and perfect seal, you’ll never hear what your IEM actually sounds like. The IEM is only as good as your seal. Everything about the tips, seal, insertion depth has an effect on the sound.

Beyond sound quality, there’s comfort. Wouldn’t you want to find the best tips that are the most comfortable and make your music sound the best they can? The right tips make a huge difference.

2 Likes

I mean, its not realy. Without expericen its tough to imagine 1mm of foam or silicone makes a difference, but i realy does.

Yeah… Tips are very important.

4 Likes

Damn. I just put most of my tips inside a carry case and sorted the ones I like the most into another box (like yours but smaller). How do you remember the names of the tips though? since that is a pretty large collection in a single box.

Ha ha, I know them all. Those are just some of my most used. I have bags and bags of them. I have another organizer for my foamies, but I don’t use them anymore. Silicone ftw.

I am considering writing their names on paper or something lol.

Just organize them in groups. I have my brands all together with the different sizes in different compartments. You can clearly see what tips are what. They aren’t all thrown in there haphazardly. lol But if writing the brands helps, do whatever works.

1 Like

Resolution, that pill box is a clever solution; I should try something like that. Currently, it’s just mini zip bags inside a larger ziplock bag.

The kz, spiral dot, azla, final E, spinfits all look sufficiently different that it’s not a problem to tell them apart.

I too prefer silicone. Never could get the feel of foam.

1 Like

10 bucks…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PLDWC9D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07Y1BYZW1

1 Like

Got it. Thanks for the tips!

np, good luck.

Wow… ok. Now this is pretty crazy too for eartips. :slight_smile: But ok, I get it now. I will pay very close attention to eartips I pick.

This can make or break your iem. So its important to have a large collection of them. (even more so if you are insane like me with 66 iems hahahah)

1 Like