600$ End Game suggestion

Thanks everyone for the input really appreciate it

I have an anecdote I like to share with newcomers.

when I am listening to a headphone, Iā€™m listening to it because I wanted toā€¦whether itā€™s inexpensive or costs a bit. when I am using them, they are my end game. while I have listened to what people call summit-fi (vs. low-fi, mid-fi and hi-fi) and know how good, amazing, breathtaking and drool worthy they sound, thatā€™s not what Iā€™m thinking about at that moment. Iā€™m reveling in the sound those headphones are giving me and enjoying the groove on Iā€™m in at that time. Iā€™m not criticizing them and thinking how much better the summit-fi is / was, Iā€™m focused at that moment on the music thatā€™s making me happy.

that said, there is going to be a dividing line between good sound and bad sound due to the quality of the product being used. there are a lot of winning products under $100, but there are waaay more bad products than good unfortunately. I share this as you could find yourself in a situation where youā€™re thinking your sound is such garbage that you are wishing for something better, because you have heard better.

I refer to the knowing of better, to having been ā€˜corruptedā€™.

reading threads and articles like this, I will pine, long and desire the summit-fi I have experience, knowing I likely will never ever afford something like that. but as the saying goes, better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.

2 Likes

100% agreed with what marzipan said.

Also we could give you better recommendations: what do you like the most about the sundara? and what do you think it could do better?

Elex is amazing tho, tried it once.

1 Like

sundara cannot do anything better sundara is an angel descended from heaven it is airy and natural with forward mids and bass that knows when to come in and does but never comes in when itā€™s not needed

the only possible thing one could dare to say about sundara is that the soundstage is not wide enough but this is also a lie those heathens are all smited and surely I do not think this :pleading_face:

3 Likes

I think the sundara has good natural tonality, the mid range is good the bass is not overpowering but also not absent it is a good headphone all around donā€™t get me wrong.

i think it could have a little bit better soundstage for being open back i also notice some songs i feel like i can hear hissing but maybe thats because of the way the song was recorded but i really have to listen hard to hear it.

where i am from we donā€™t have any places that sell audiophile headphones for me to try out, so just like these i wonā€™t be able to try those out either before i buy.

hope this helps

I am not saying these headphones suck because they do not, I was using the sennheiser hd 598 sr before this those headphones in my opinion were far more comfortable to wear to me than these sundara but they lacked the neutral tonality and mid range and other things that the sundara do well.

The sundara are my second pair of audiophile headphones. but i know there is the next level or as i and probably others say end game and without spending 1,000$ or more just trying to find my end piece where i can say this is it for me i donā€™t need or want anything else and yes i know im going down a rabbit hole here with headphones and dacs and amps lol.

I was using these headphones with a zen dac but then i bought the power supply for it and 2 weeks later my zen dac was acting up sent it in for warranty IFI said they replaced the main board.

And by no means do i plan of getting rid of my sundara, heck is till have my 598 sr in a box even though i donā€™t use them.

by the way thanks everyone for your help so far really appreciate it

If you can find it, Audeze 2 pre-fazor is pretty much the $600 end game.

So actually iā€™m also looking for a sundara ā€œupgradeā€, In my case I donā€™t have them anymore. Iā€™ll most likely get the ananda but they are too similar to the sundaras to justify having both.

Its hard to look for that upgrade in the $600 budget, I agree they are a very hard to replace angel sent from the skies.
The elex I do consider as an upgrade, but it is extremely punchy so please try to audition it or the elear/clear (they are kinda similar) to see if you dig that.

The other options mentioned in this thread are also highly regarded, Iā€™d really love to get me both the esp95x and the ad2000x but my wallet cries.

In my case the dt1990 were too fatiguing, so I got a beyerdynamic T1.2 which is more laid back. Comparing the T1.2 to the sundaras they have a noticeably larger soundstage and more precise imaging, but they donā€™t feel nearly as open/effortless (which may be due to my gear) and arenā€™t tonaly balanced.

Good luck man

Another vote for Elex. I have Clears and have heard Elex are very similar.

Drop has refurb Elex in stock for $575.

1 Like

I love how you recommend the SR2s to everyone :rofl: you may have really found your end game bro, they are way hard to find for audition

1 Like

I do not recommend them to everyone. Every time I bring them up, it is because I analyzed what the OP is looking for. If somebody is looking for a warm headphone or a very open headphone, I will not recommend the SR2.

I am not paid in any way to promote it. I truly just enjoy them that much. Another reason why I bring them up is because they are very underrated, not many people know about them, so I mention them to acknowledge their existence. This helps the OP to be aware of the options out there.

There are many people in this hobby who never get satisfied and never find their endgame, I feel completely satisfied with the SR2. I donā€™t want people to think that I am paid by the manufacturer to promote the headphone, because that is not the case.

1 Like

@AppleofMyDroid you ok with buying used? What source gear (DAC, Amp, preamp, etcā€¦) are you using? Thatā€™s going to be a larger factor in the choice of cans as you go further up the price ladder.

Is 600 a hard maximum? If youā€™re looking for what you termed as ā€œEndgameā€ then youā€™ll need to stretch the budget a bit further. Based on what youā€™ve said you liked about the sundaras, without respect to your source gear, and with a bit of budget stretching I think a used HD800 would be a good choice ($850 used)ā€¦

For an option with some of that same hifiman sound, the ananda would probably be good ($550 used) (disclaimer : I have not heard an ananda personally, but I have had the sundara, 400i, hexv2, and arya)ā€¦

For a little different sound, and purportedly less in line with your preferences, the DT 1990 might be worth checking out ($600).

Elegias fit the bill for sound, but are closed back.

1 Like

I hear you bru, I didnt mean you recommend literally to everyone but it came across as that.

Its a shame they are hard to try out and not easily available in every country, I get a similar feeling from my ath-wp900 they are expensive to import and dont get the public eye they deserve. Also endgame to me (for portables) and wouldnt recommend to everyone.

1 Like

How can they be lightly worn after 10h ?
Heck. My 6XX have been used like many many many hours and even the ELEX have been used at least 60h and they both look ā€œlike newā€. No pad wear visible, no ear shapes, no wear or anything else. Some dust bits yes but thatā€™s easy clean.
Are the 800 pads like soft toffee or something?

No theyā€™re not and the amount of wear in the photos look pretty par for the course for 10 hours of playtime + storage.

Also, you need to chill on the negativity and attitude dude. There are many ways you can say you donā€™t like the ad that donā€™t come across as snide. Could also be constructive and follow the point of the thread by adding a different ad for the headphone instead of derailing with snide comments about the seller of the specific ad.

lol.
We all different. We all accept others or shouldā€¦ or not.
Some are more positive and some more negative and some very real.
You are being a dick if not accepting some being negative or moodier than someone happy like in good pill trip.
So think that for a minute.
You could use ur nickname and put it in action. lol

I generally was wondering will 10h of wear show like that. :slight_smile:
We have this saying ā€œpissing them off is caringā€ and its normal. So itā€™s all cool.

Oh you added text.
Another vote for Elex then.
Being very constructive and following the point of the thread. Happy happy.

@Pr3ssAltF4 i currently have a magnius and modius on order for my new cans and thank you for those recommendations and seriously thought thanks to everyone for these recommendations lets not fight in here please.

2 Likes

I believe the primary instigator has been removed from the forums. I donā€™t anticipate any issue in the future.

I do have to make a comment, $600 end game doesnā€™t exist. $600 pause point totally does.

The end game doesnā€™t exist.

2 Likes

Lol @DagoRed that Iā€™s a valid point I will have to call it pause point from now on just know the next pair I do buy will be my last for awhile.

like I want to be able to say that the only thing I can get thatā€™s better than this is 1,000$ plus and out of my price range like I know after I bought the sundaes there was obviously something better I could afford.

Thanks for your input

1 Like

You will find over time you will have different gear for different music. Iā€™m HOPING my latest purchase has the synergy Iā€™m looking for when my gear comes back. But after using some of my more budget gearā€¦ I can say flat out the Bifrost 2 honestly was one of my best purchases Iā€™ve made to date. Before you plan whatā€™s next, I can honestly say that a good DAC can really open up a world of possibilities so I would plan for that before you buy headphones in the future.

Favorites in sub $1000 catagory (no order):

• Airist R2R
  • Bifrst 2
  • Soekris anything you can find
  • Denafrips Ares II (new or used anything is good)
  • Holo Audio Cyan (used if you can find it)

Yes things get pricey, but its a short list of things to drool over and watch for ā€œthe next levelā€.

1 Like