A Class-A headphone amp for 500$ or less

Hey @M0N,
do you think it would be an option to first buy the Asgard 3 without dac and buy a comparable dac (maybe also a mutlibit one) afterwards. I thougt about it, because the only thing that really botheres me with the Asgard multibit is the fact, that it just has one digital input, in this case obviously the usb port. I’d like the option to maybe switch sources and have an extra digital coaxial and spdif input. It’s not a must for me in this case, but ist there an option that performes as well as the multibit and has more inputs to offer?

Hello,
No when you buy on Schiit directly you don’t pay tax,only the device.
When the Amp arrived you pay the Tax from your Land separate.:wink:

When you keep on this option take a look to the Topping E30 as dac.

1 Like

Hey,
okay thanks I appreciate the information. But do you pay the tax on the original price (in this case 399 or 199$) or do you have to pay tax on the converted price in euros?
I saw the review on the Topping E30 by Zeos and if i remeber correct he was pretty positive about it. I will keep it in mind.

No you pay the Tax to Fedex or Ups.You become a letter with the invoice.And pay it to this company.or in Germany maybe directy on the postman when it comes with Dhl.
Or you must go to the custom office.
Is depend,schitt has send it with Fedex and i recived a letter with the invoice.And you pay in Euro.
It give a webside who you can calculate the Tax in your land when you place a order from a other land who is not in the EU.

1 Like

Okay thanks I was a bit confused. I appreciate your help :v:

1 Like

Yeah no problem, I don’t see any issues with that, you could grab something like a topping e30 and be set imo, I don’t think it would be as fun as the multibit, but I do think it’s still a warmer more enjoyable dac and it is more detailed than the multibit

1 Like

I know that I initially created this topic to find a headphone amp, but I feel like it would be good to finish my plans.
If I just buy the Asgard to start with, I’d like to then save up for a dac that’s better than the e30. I know it’s not bad but why not. I have 3 dacs at around 300$ on my mind which have all the inputs i want to have. The Topping D50s, the JDS Labs EL DAC II and the Aune X8. I know that on top of DSD and all that magic stuff (which the other 2 also offer) the D50s also has an integrated LDAC with, obviously, bluetooth. A neat feature considering I also own Sony wh1000xm3s. Is there anything that the EL DAC II and the X8 can offer that could stop me from saving for a D50s? Is the D50s a good adition to the Asgard? Or is there any advantage over the e30 that me as a beginner would even notice?

So I will just say from experience that you would be spending in the 700 range to get a significant upgrade for your dac, the El dac ii, aune x8, and d50s are all nice, but are very marginal upgrades to where I would suggest you put that money in cans or put it towards a higher tier amp. I think to get a significant upgrade on the dac side of things you would want to look at like a soekris1421, ares ii, or bifrost 2 imo (with the ares and bifrost being up your alley imo).

If you wanted to add Bluetooth, I think grabbing an ifi Zen blue for the e30 would be my pick as you can scale later on with dacs

1 Like

I see your point, but I really want the dac to have both usb and coax, but the zen blue does not have usb. I just found the D50s 50€ cheaper on amazon than it is on Toppings web site, which now makes it 250€. Considering that the Asgard also costs me 250€ I would be in my budget just perfectly. The zen blue costs 150€ in Germany, so I will just take the hit of 100€ for better build quality, a better design imo and the display, aswell as the better controllability with the stick on the front.
Maybe it’s not the smartest move if i want to spend as little as possible, but I think for me it is worth the extra money.
I still appreciate your help and your experience.

Ah I was saying grab the e30 and the zen blue if you wanted to add bluetooth to the e30

I think if you are looking for bluetooth, it might make sense, but it is a brighter and more analytical dac so just be aware of that

Oops i germanated myself there, my bad. Now I see that you meant that I could go for both the e30 and the zen blue.

I will take that in mind. But the e30 and zen blue (280€) would also be more expensive than just the d50s (250€) and out of my budget.
Is the D50s really so much brighter? I could just wait untill I have more money if so.

If that’s the case, then that is a bit too much. The main benefit of going for the zen blue + another dac is flexibility in the future so if you got a higher tier dac it could support bluetooth in the future. In the us it would be about the same cost as a topping d50s so it would make more sense here, but for your price the d50s is more attractive. It is a bit brighter, but I think the asgard 3 should be able to tame that imo

1 Like

If you say so i think I have a winner. Asgard and D50s it is.

Okay wow I didn’t expect Schiit to drop another dac in my budget. I’ll just ditch the E30 and D50s and get the Modius instead. Will test it and can just send it back if I don’t like it. Found my “old” optical Bluetooth receiver (Avantree Oasis Plus) and will use that for wireless audio over BT. The Modius just fits so good to the Asgard 3 that I have to get it.