A30 Pro > Asgard 3 & G111..?

Thought the a30p is more a a90 with it’s single ended circuit and without it’s ground loop issues but have to admit i didn’t go indepth with my research of the a30p

Oh, you’re awake already! Good morning :sun_with_face:

Nah 8pm for me :stuck_out_tongue:
I too had the a30p in my sight as an Amp upgrade but a lack of reviews and passionate write ups and a good price for my g111 made me reconsider and maybe later upgrade to a singxer sa-1 for when I’ll need raw power :wink:

Whilst that would be great, I doubt that there is anything better new for planners than the A3, in my experience it was the best amp I tried for my HeK before I went to IEMs. The A3 was also really nice for the IEMs that I used on it. I’d say you’re better selling those three amps and going for something higher end since IME you get much more doing it that way.

From the headphones that you have mentioned, I think the g111 or A3 would be really good with them and from what I know of the Topping general sound signature, I’d rather take one of those two or go for something like the MLP which would do great with most of what you have mentioned there, although it is balanced only (if you want the best out of it).

1 Like

Perhaps I need a phone with stronger bass to better test amp power with. HE6 is neutral, and HD660 isn’t very bassy. Hm. Where is my LCD-3…

Welp, I do believe the A30 Pro sounds the best with HE6 so far. Very acceptable! Though I am going to say the sound of HE6se V2 is not to my taste. It seems a little shrill, with average depth at best, and the overall sense of resolution/detail seems sub-par to me for a phone of this price. It’s time to close the book on HE6.

But wow, I think it actually made my FD5(my best sounding phone, IMO) sound even better… With extra bass power and treble control. So far, I have nothing but praise for this amp. Oh, one thing - the volume knob feels like it’s being rotated in jello. Super smooth turning, but I dislike how the knob has no texture to grip, and doesn’t feel accurate. A longer, more textured, more precise/controlled feeling knob would be better, with or without detents.

Max listening volumes for me(w/BF2 balanced out):

• Erupt = Low gain, ~10:30.
  • HD660 = Low gain, ~11.
  • HE6se v2 = Medium gain, ~1 o’clock.
  • FD5 = Low gain, ~9-9:30.

Amp Hiss/Noise Detection Test(w/FD5):

• Low Gain = None.
  • Medium Gain = Extremely faint beginning at ~3 until max.
  • High Gain = Extremely faint beginning at ~10; fully audible light white noise/hiss at max.

Need to listen & compare more with my other amps, but so far has the most bass impact and possibly treble texture. Very crisp, clear & punchy. I think the G111 might have more space/depth. It gets pretty warm on top, but probably half the temperature of a Loki Mini+.

he6 needs pads desperately to be completely right. i’d go as far as to say not a single hifiman has their pad tuning right.

Hello! I previously owned Asgard 3, Flux labs amplifier, Jotunheim 1, Singxer SA-1, Topping A90. I agree that A30 pro loose a little bit in soundstage, but in every other way, from my point of view A30 pro beats them all with power, impact, details and the speed! Speed is stunning. Actually i was stunned about price/performance here. A30 pro is currently mo own unbeaten choice, i was surprised that i prefer topping product over all others.

For the name of the topic: A30 pro is direct upgrade from Asgard 3, huge step. A30 pro doesn’t have Topping sound signature, i compared A30 pro directly to A90, A30 pro is the different thing. A90 so boring, L30 sounds like disaster from my point of view, but A30 pro is the next level of sound presentation compared to them both! I sold Singxer, returned A90 to the shop, A30 pro - top imho!

One more finding that i think a little bit strange with this amplifier, because it uses switching power supply: i noticed sound change when replaced power cord to furutech.

1 Like

Honestly I’m surprised to see anyone particularly like the stock sound. I recommend trying it with EQ before selling it.

Which price? Lol. It’s not worth 1800. But it does have great technical ability

So then, what headphones might sound better than, or just like, a FiiO FD5, if any? Or an IER-Z1R, or MEST? I seem to only be finding a big lack of general detail, space, and quality with headphones compared to FD5, pretty much the best sounding overall phone I’ve ever heard so far(except for an old memory of LCD-3). I almost think only a 007/009 or HD800S can do it, yet maybe not, bass-wise.

@CT007 the a30 pro very much surprised me coming from Jot 2 and other mid level amps from more forum friendly companies. im no fan of chinese audio but this one is different than the other chinese amps. nice punchy sound but really nice mids and highs. makes my lcd GX sing no problem better than most amps under 500 and ive tried a lot of them. only chinese amp that has made me want to keep turning it up and not down. who cares if it measures well or not. its just a bonus for some

2 Likes

UPDATE - This is now my favorite amp ever. Too good to get rid of!! Let go of the G111 without any regret.

1 Like

My too, which dacs you like with this amp?

Of course Bifrost 2. And for now, SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII(thanks to @Pokrog for the great suggestion) is doing just dandy(as a temporary replacement). :slight_smile:

1 Like