A90D/D90LE stack end game?

You can use the ones they come with just fine, I’d honestly suggest doing that off the bat anyways. You can figure out if you like the chain, and if you do, you can then get better tubes to improve the sound and also further tailor it to your preferences. You can get some noticeable improvements/differences from swapping around tubes, but I’d only really do that once the stock ones burn in, and you get a feel for the amp and what sound you really want out of it

It’s pretty much that, just carefully take out the old and carefully put in the new, fairly straightforward, just want to make sure you put it in correctly the way it’s designed, and you don’t use too much force or with too much of an angle, then you just have to make sure it’s seated correctly. Might seem a bit weird at first to do, but not hard/not a big deal with this tube type

Honestly the harder part of tubes is just trying to find the ones you want to try and swapping in and out to find what you like lol, that can sometimes become a hassle

If you look used, you can find bf2 (and 2/64) for around 500 ish used, and liquid plat around 400 ish or under used, so pretty close to your initial budget tbh

I guess it depends on how higher end lol? What sort of budget would you really be looking at? I feel like before doing that, I’d really suggest trying some of the aforementioned amps and dac combos here, see how that changes things, and I’d also suggest getting in the hek first before going for the next level of chains past something like the bf2 and plat just to make sure that’s the headphone you want to stick with and build around. Since the higher you go in chain, typically the more specialized it is and the more dependent on synergy it is, so you want to make sure it’s going to be tailored toward the headphone(s) you actually want lol.

Personally for a hek for getting a really next level experience without going nuts, I’d shoot more toward a 2.5-3k ish budget used for the combined dac and the amp. For what options to consider in the range, would depend on what direction you wanted to go. I think I mentioned amp wise in the other thread that I’d see if I could get a good deal on something like a headamp gsx mini (around 1.2k ish used), bryston bha-1 (around 1.1k used), violectric v550 (around 1.7k ish used, also v281 around 1.4k), and a bit of a curveball a quicksilver headphone amp (around 1k new or used). Personally think those are some examples of amps that offer an overall substantial jump up from something like a plat/g111/iha-6 and such in the range. For what dac to pair with them, that would also depend on what direction you want to go. I think all of those amps pair well with the hek in different ways, and would also be very good with the meze

I’ve never tried the g111 with the empy, but I bet it would be good, I do think the plat is solid with the empy from my experience so no concern there personally

At one point I was using the MLP (stock tubes) with the OG BF2 and it was quite good . I ended up tweaking it by tube change and it got even better. Off the top of my head (my system has radically changed since then) I do not remember which tubes I changed to and of course it is boxed up in the closet now.

1 Like

I appreciate the suggestions. The next thing I really should save for is a house or wedding haha. I don’t plan on asking my gf for at least another year but I’d like to have some money in the bank if I do. So spending $3,000 on audio equipment would be a poor investment in my future. But if I’m going to upgrade I’d probably do it before asking her since my money will be tied up at that point. I have some money saved up already and I’ll have plenty by 1 year from now. With the HE1K being half cost new it got me excited to start planning my next upgrade and I’m happy for your support here. The next audio convention in my area won’t be until April anyway.

There are many many more important things in life to spend money on. Knowledge for the future is priceless though. A house and more importantly someone special to share that home with is penultimate. Worry about that first then audio can follow for sure.

3 Likes

You are right. But we’d need to save for a wedding, and then years for a house, and then we’d still need to furnish said house. By the time that’s all done I don’t see my gf being okay with me spending $3K of what would be our money on something for myself. I guess I’m trying to get all my big purchases out of the way.

I just realized what you mean by trust this idiot haha. I didn’t think THE wave theory would ever be commenting on my post. I’ve watched several of your videos including the newer Arya organic one and like your in depth reviews. I think I’m more interested in the organic now than the HE1000 because of it and decided to boost my budget for an amp to about $1,200 which is in line with the soloist 3XP. So many people say good things about it and that it pairs well with the Arya line. In your opinion what make the soloist such a good pairing for the Arya? Does it tame the high end brightness good? Or do you think the other higher end amp you recommend would be better fit? I couldn’t find a review you did on the soloist.

1 Like

Unfortunately, Burson is a company I have not had a chance to experience yet. I have not heard the Soloist so I cannot say, and that is also why you didn’t find my Soloist review: there isn’t one.

(Shameless self plug: if anyone has a Burson they’re willing to lend, please PM me!)

In general as amplifier quality increases (which almost always means increased cost) one of the benefits reaped is increased driver control. Many claim that an amplifier’s job is to take the signal and make it stronger, ie increase the singal wave’s amplitude (AMPlitude, AMPlifier, see how that works? lol) without otherwise changing the shape of the wave. That is a key function of an amplifier, but that’s actually not its only job. The amplifier is the thing that tells the speaker/headphone drivers how to move and ultimately controls their motion. More expensive amplifiers generally are better at both of those aspects thus speakers/headphones behave better - and therefore sound better - on them. Additionally there are some instances where the load a speaker/headphone presents to an amplifier hits right in that amplifier’s comfort zone. We call those pairings “synergy.” It is possible, although I cannot confirm this with my own experience yet, that the Soloist + Arya pairing is such a pairing where the load the Ayra presents fits right into the range where the Soloist is most comfortable operating. Again, can’t confirm, but the community at large may be experiencing this.

I hope that’s helpful.

4 Likes

Now this is endgame for me the Geshelli Labs JNOG J2 AKM 4493 was a good pairing but the AKM4499 with Sparkos SS2590 is another few levels above.

1 Like