Advice for entry level amp

to add on to what Mon said if you use a beyerdynamic headphone the liquid spark can be to your benefit as they pair well

I mean I would highly suggest considering getting a dt770 250 ohm, that will be a very large improvement over the 32 ohm imo

I still like to retain the ability to listen to them on the go so I went for the 32 ohm version of the DT770.

I am pretty sure my next pair of cans are going to be the Argon Mk3 or what comes next with the same sound qualities. I am a sucker for sound stage and that is very close to the perfect sound for me (some detail is lost in the lower end but it is worth the trade-off to me). I don’t know if I’ll be able to use them without an amp though.

Well that is going to be a discussion in a few years. I hope.

You can but it’s not great lol, I would say the 250 ohm beyers are easier to drive off of a phone than the argons. The heresy should power them just fine though :+1:

I would also consider the audioquest nighthawk carbon, might be up your alley lol

Hi all, revamping this thread :smiley:
I have upgraded my headphones. Now I am using the DT177x GO and after a troublesome transition period I am starting to enjoy them (suede pads + a lot of burn-in).

Sadly I do not think the Heresy is still the perfect amp for them, but I am not sure about that. Complete setup now is Dragonfly Red -> Heresy -> DT177x GO but my objective is to reach a warmer sound, blues like.
What do you think I would be better off changing, amp od DAC?

I have initially though about changing DAC but the consensus seem to be that it won’t change the result as much as changing the amp. Budget I would prefer under 300 EUR, the less the better (I am still running stuff out off Spotify).
Path I have already considered are, for the DAC route, the Aune X8 Magic, and for the amp route the magni 3+ or diving into tube amps.

I would still like for it to retain some clarity, which makes it harder for me to go for tubes, but also for it to make a clear change in sound. I assume previously suggested amps are still valid. What are your thoughts? Would such a change work in a discernible way? Any opinion is welcome.

How much is an asgard 3 for you? That would give you a bit of warmth, body, spaciousness, and smoothness without sacrificing detail or technicalities, pretty nice. The dragonfly red is a pretty decent dac choice and perhaps I would change that later on, but prioritize the amp. Most of the tube amps in the price range you are in will not play nice with the 177x go unfortunately. You could also go for a lake people g103s which is more neutral clean with a bit more warmth

1 Like

Looks sweet, especially if you sell it to me with added spaciousness. I will definitely check it out, it seems to tick all the boxes.

While looking for the Asgard 3 I have come across the ifi ZEN CAN amp and I am really curious about how it fares against the Asgard. I could not find any direct comparisons though.

Meanwhile the DFR broke (jack connector losing channels) and I had the chance to replace it. I went for the Topping E30 and things have actually improved as far as I can tell. The DFR did actually have a mid-forward and more intense coloring to it which I cannot find in the E30, more relaxed and wider sounding to my ears.

I must admit that the need of replacing the amp now decreased but we are under Xmas, who know, perhaps I will still trigger a new amp. Any words about the ifi ZEN CAN?