Advice on where to go from here

Since buying the HD6XX a few years ago I had just been running them straight from my PC. I knew nothing about dacs or amps, or that I wasn’t powering my headphones properly. I’d just seen them being advertised by tech channels on YouTube and got convinced to buy a pair. Fast-forward to about six months ago when I found Zeos, and started watching him. That, of course, led me to others like DMS and Joshua Valaour, and I started to learn a bit. At the very least, I learned I needed to pick up an amp and dac for my 6XX. Well, after I started lurking around here in January, I finally made up my mind and picked up the Jotunheim 2 and a Modius. I thought that was going to be the end of it. After all, I was completely happy with the 6XX, and the only other headphones that might have interested me I could talk myself out of.

Then the Clear Mg happened. The amp and dac that I purchased, were purchased with a pair of ~$200 headphones in mind, not a $1500 pair. So I need advice on what I should do. I know the Jot2 is plenty powerful, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good synergy. As for the Modius, I know that’s got to be the weak link in the chain. I also know that the Bifrost 2 comes pretty heavily recommended around here, but I was wondering if there were other options that might pair better.

Here’s a screenshot of what I’m currently listening to to give you an idea of my musical tastes.

Also, as an aside, once I get my amp and dac sorted what other headphone would you recommend as a good complement to the Clear Mg at <$1000?

I really wouldn’t worry about your source gear all that much just yet. The most recent Schiit stuff is great and performs great even with higher end headphones. I doubt the jot will let you down any time soon and the modius is plenty good enough for now.

Also, maybe take it slower. The clear MG is probably going to sound great, but don’t be afraid to try some other mid tier stuff to help better refine your taste. You may love the 6XX, but maybe you’ll love a more V-shaped headphone more, or maybe a brighter one. It’s good to try things in the budget and mid tier before going over $1000 so you don’t drop all that money and then find you don’t like something like the tuning box the headphone not prefer more soundstage or dynamics or whatever.

4 Likes

I second what @A_COC0NUT has said here. Basically get a darkvoice tube amp it will really bring up the level of the 6XX closer to that focal elex type sound. Not perfectly with the imaging but with the warm and dynamics and holographic soundstage.

With some aftermarket tubes. Id also recommend a complementary headphone that would be more V shaped rather than the more mid centric headphones if it’s going to be your only other pair. Maybe a nice closed back or a V shaped open back.

And if you own a 6XX with no darkvoice tube amp you’re missing out on one of the greatest audiophile experiences money can give you.

1 Like

To answer directly…yes, Bifrost 2 is a nice step up without jumping into the $1k+ range and should pair well with the Jot 2. It also pairs great with the RNHP which has great synergy with the Clear (Focals in general, really). A tube amp can elevate the 6xx, but I’d really recommend going with something more along the lines of a Bottlehead Crack, Eddie Current ZDT Jr, or Feliks Echo vs the Darkvoice.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I’ve done some a/b comparing with the 6XX and Clear Mg since getting the Mg, and since the Mg is kind of a superior 6X0 sound-wise, I’d been wondering if I would even keep the 6XX. I know that a tube amp is supposed to really make the 600/650/6XX shine, but I’m not sure I’m at a point where I want to tube roll yet, which has kept me from getting a tube amp. As for getting a V-shaped headphone, I think I know what you mean by that, but could you give me a couple of examples to look at?

1 Like

Some V-shaped headphones are the fostex TR-X00 line (only available used) or alternatively the E-MU Teaks (still available new). The fostex TH-900 are a higher end option. Campfire audio Cascades are super fun levels of B A S S. The Sony MDR-Z1R and some of sony’s lower priced offerings are well regarded. You might also consider the ZMF Atticus or Eikon.

2 Likes

Honestly, whats your budget? I agree with no worrying about sources for the clear too much. A TH900 will be a very different sound sig (v shaped) with very high SQ if you want to go that way. Depending on if you listen to a lot of edm you could also get something like an LCD-X, but, tbh man, clears are just an amazing set of cans. They kinda just do everything real well

1 Like

If I was going to spend money on another pair of headphones today, it would probably be $500 or less. I was only asking that for future reference, not for something to look for right now. Now, for a new dac, amp, or both? I’d be willing to spend up to $1,000 right now. And don’t get me wrong, I don’t have any complaints about what I’m hearing from the music, I just know that I don’t have any other reference point beyond “no external dac and amp”. But from listening to the same songs on the SE and balanced outs of the Jot2 there was a noticeable improvement in detail and instrument separation on the balanced out, which has made me wonder if I could get more with better gear.

2 Likes

By all accounts, the bifrost 2 will be a great dac, so if you want to upgrade that, go for it. As for the amp, I would just leave it. The Jot is also well liked and plenty powerful.

I wouldn’t read too much into the balanced output sounding better as a balanced amp will often sound best from it’s balanced output, but a comparable single ended amp can sound just as good as a balanced one.

3 Likes

I am considering it, given how recommended it is by people like @M0N, I just don’t want to jump the gun and do it if it isn’t going to be worth it. At the same time, I also don’t want to not do it if it will be worth it, you know?

So personally, with the gear you have, I do think the bf2 is the correct next step forward, as that can prepare you later on for amp changes in the future if need be for the clear, and it pairs really well with the jot 2. Personally I do like the jot 2, it’s not my favorite amp, but it does do well, and given you already have it, I don’t think it would be worthwhile to change to a different amp if you already enjoy it (in a similar price class that is, if you did want to change I would upgrade to a higher tier of amp). The bf2 will give you an overall boost in your current chain in most regards I can think of, a pretty noticeable one as well

3 Likes

Okay, so Bf2 next, and then at some point if I decide I want a change, move to a higher tier amp is what you’re saying? What would you suggest, both as a general price-point to spend on a good amp later, and do you have any specific ones you think would pair well with the Bf2 and the Clear Mg?

1 Like

I’d say generally around 1-1.5k ish used is a good place to be for an upgrade. For a clear (I haven’t heard the mg, only the og for now) and bf2, I might want to look for an xi audio broadway if you wanted to lean a bit warmer but not too relaxed with a wide stage and very good bass grip, a headamp gsx mini for something a bit more brighter analytical but still somewhat tonally dense and not harsh, for something neutral but organic if you can find a pass hpa-1 at 2k ish that would be really nice. For tube options, I like the lta mz2 + lps for something fairly linear and clean, with a bit of midrange richness with a focus on depth more than width. While I haven’t heard this exact pairing and extrapolating my experiences with the utopia on this amp, the quicksilver headphone amp is a good choice if you wanted a more softer neutral and controlled tube amp but with more heft and density overall with more spacious staging. Other options I would mention wouldn’t play nicely with either the clear or the bf2

2 Likes

That gives me some good places to look if I decide to upgrade. Thank you. I imagine I will end up purchasing the Bf2 before long, but I may wait and see if their shipping times shorten up a bit. I know they are having trouble filling orders right now.

1 Like

Yes that seems to be the case

1 Like