šŸ”· Airist R2R (Drop DAC)

I got you, I just pulled the trigger because I wanted to try something differentā€¦ after all I tried burr brown, sabre,cirrus logic, wolfson,akmā€¦ and this just did something totally differentā€¦ I had a chord for awhile and returned itā€¦ sounds better then everything elseā€¦ this is my personal perception.

Itā€™s one of mass drops revolving drops, so it shouldnā€™t be going anywhere, Iā€™m going to send my gungnir in I suspect now for the multibit upgradeā€¦ or perhaps buy the yggyā€¦time will tell.

1 Like

Whatā€™s strange to me is that you say youā€™ve also used the Micro iDSD before this. Have you never set that one to the ā€œBit-perfectā€ filter option? Thatā€™s also supposed to offer NOS operation and the same general sonic improvement as what you seem to have discovered in the Airist.

Copy-pasting this here too, itā€™s from SBAF:

I sadly have not hooked it up to the large variety of amps like I have the Airistā€¦ itā€™s a wonderful unit though for 600 dollarsā€¦ I think itā€™s probably best as a standalone DAC using all itā€™s features rather then as a total standalone unitā€¦ perhaps maybe even as a DAC+pre-ampā€¦ I genuinely have my doubts for the all-in-one units which is probably the reason it hasnā€™t popped to me like the Airist hasā€¦

Airist to hybrid amp,SS,tube it sounds great all aroundā€¦ I like it on my darkvoice with my 660sā€™s the most howeverā€¦ Iā€™ll end up getting an audio-gd or a denafrips ARES nextā€¦ def sending my gungnir in for the multibit upgradeā€¦ byebye AKMā€¦ itā€™s literally done nothing new for meā€¦wonā€™t even be sad to see it go since I have 4 of them.

1 Like

Probably nothing am I right or wrong?

I only see this post. What are we right and wrong about?

Hmm. Not sure where the ā€œbeā€ quote is from, but if I jump to the post you replied to I have a whole paragraph there that I was addressing to AtticSlob, and then he further replied to me below that. Iā€™m guessing thereā€™s some potential for confusion due to this forum not marking replies as replies (to a specific other post) if you add them right after said post and donā€™t include a quote from it.

1 Like

Apparently it was a reply to

But the answer was

1 Like

Oh, I get it now. Z was replying to Benjaminā€™s post right above, the one talking about ā€œright or wrongā€. The quote from me mustā€™ve been just some misclick or something.

1 Like

Insert Monty Python ā€“ I came here for an argument gifā€¦

2 Likes

I was teasing about what dacs he had before.

Anyone have one I could borrow to review? Iā€™d be very much obliged!

I have this DAC in hand but havenā€™t used it yet because Iā€™m debating if I should get a refund. I want to return it because I have no use for it being that the SU-8 is my daily driver. Still waiting for a proper review on this unit.

Well I mean if you have it, try it out for a couple days and if you donā€™t find it better then your su-8, then return it I guess

Where did you buy it? You canā€™t return stuff to Drop unless itā€™s defective.

thatā€™s not true. I just returned a LCX amp to drop for refund back in June and it worked perfectly. as long as itā€™s within 30 days of purchase drop will accept the return

1 Like

I contact support and they they sent me a prepaid label from Drop.com

Well thatā€™s interesting. It looks they now accept returns on Drop branded items. When I tried to return my 58X a while ago, they refused. Some items still canā€™t be returned like the THX 789.

Recieved my Focal Elegia an hour ago and drive it with ifi xDSD
THX 789 will ship end of September and my plan was SMSL SU-8
but owning the xDSDā€¦
I think I will choose the R2R for that special "sweet"sound in a few months

Lol you would be better off selling your 789 for 1.5x what you bought it for