All Things Classical

I enjoyed hearing origin stories from @TimpTim44 and @SandboxGeneral - very cool. My parents encouraged musical curiosity in me as well, and outreach efforts from local performing organizations sealed the deal. Growing up in Utah in the 80s, we had art music on two FM public radio stations. One of them did jazz at night, eventually dropped the art music during the day, eventually dropped the jazz, and as far as I know, is all talk all the time now. Philistines. Talk is so cheap. The other station tried to shut down a few years ago, but after several weeks of public outrage they found a way to keep going with 24-hr art music broadcasting.

I’ll try to share more later, but for now I’ll talk about my chamber strings kick. I finished listening to the Bartok string quartet cycle a while back - that is some tough stuff, almost as tough as the two Carter quartets I listened to recently. Boyce’s trio sonatas have been lovely, and two Prokofiev quartets plus his cello sonata led me into Enescu’s piano trios. It’ll take me a while to finish all 15 Shostakovich quartets - I’m going odd (1, 3, 5…), then even (2, 4, 6…). Listening to these pieces reminded me of a historical fiction novel I read a few years back. Very, very interesting book. Check it out if you get a chance. Loading interface... Heh, sorry, the Goodreads link looks like it’s doing weird things here. It’s called The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes. :slightly_smiling_face:

Best,
AM

3 Likes

Good evening. Tonight I thought I would start of with something new to me and classical. This was JUST released yesterday, so I had to give it a go. It’s fantastic! This is volume 2.

“As we delve into the second volume of Leonard Bernstein’s complete recordings on DG, featuring orchestral works by Jean Sibelius and Igor Stravinsky, we celebrate the multifaceted legacy of this remarkable conductor, composer, pianist, pedagogue, mentor, and more.”

AMHD > Schiit Bifrost 2 (USB) > Cavalli Liquid Platinum > HiFIMAN HE1000 V2 Stealth

1 Like

@Raptor168 Bernstein was a major musical influence for early me. Watched his fascinating stories and explanations of music on tv with his “Young People’s Concerts.” We could do with some colorized reruns of those, lol.
Michael Tilson Thomas has done some, which I used when teaching, but
Bernstein was great!!!

After a hectic week I needed a soothing wind down. This worked just fine! :wink:

3 Likes

I started this evening with something different. This turned out to be an amazing performance. What an incredible guitar.

Played on the speakers. The speakers disappeared and for a moment there I had the sense that she was in the room. Fantastic.

AMHD > Schiit Bifrost 2 (USB) > Singxer SA-1 > SMSL DA-9 > Triangle BR02 w/ REL Tzero mkiii sub

2 Likes

Wonderful! …and yes, she’s really good. :wink:

Seems my increased interest in classical guitar hasn’t waned. Here is a briliant performance by Vera Danilina, playing the fantastic Siccas guitar. Such amazing tone and character.

YT4K > Schiit Bifrost 2 (USB) > Cavalli Liquid Platinum > HiFIMAN HE1000 V2 Stealth

1 Like
1 Like

Having a classical evening tonight. I’m currently spinning up a selection from the collection. This is James Levine and the Berliner Philharmoniker performing Mendelssohn symphonies 3 and 4. Fantastic.

Local FLAC > Schiit Bifrost 2 (USB) > Cavalli Liquid Platinum > HiFIMAN HE1000 V2 Stealth

1 Like

It’s a rainy Saturday. So what does one do? Why he pulls out his Beethoven collection, of course!

It’s so nice to have all 9 handy like this. And frankly, I kinda like these 9. Von Karajan’s works of Beethoven are my personal favorites.

Local FLAC > Douk U2 Pro > Schiit BF2 > SA-1 Pre > DA-9 > Sonus Faber Lumina 2 w/REL Tzero mkiii sub

2 Likes

@Raptor168 Cool. I went to the local university’s music conservatory orchestra
concert last night. Beethoven’s 7th really well done, especially for so early in
the school year! So TWO B…symphs in a week!
Hope you enjoyed yours too!

1 Like

I went to a candlelight show last night. Vivaldi’s four seasons by a quatuor. Very nice rendition and very much enjoyed hearing the instruments live.

6 Likes

Such a moving piece, and performance with true gravitas. Thanks for sharing! Most of my Brendel listening has been to his Beethoven interpretations, but I must delve deeper into his Schubert having heard this. I’m going to track down his recordings of the 3 final sonatas…

2 Likes

Just discovered this wonderful biography/story. I have enjoyed her playing for some time…this gives more insight to what she brings to each performance.

1 Like

Nice - I love her creative recital albums, and I’ll happily give that a watch - thanks.

1 Like

The concert is a culmination, but THIS is where lies the genius, effort and connection between conductor and orchestra! :clap:

3 Likes

Tchaikovsky was probably my first introduction to classical music as a kid watching PBS on Saturday nights.

I wore out some cassette tapes of some classical music back then.

Qobuz > Cambridge Audio CXN V2 > Jnog (OG) > Freya S > Vidar (Monoblock) > Klipsch R-620F

2 Likes

Tchaikovsky 5 and Beethoven 5 were my very first classical lps…quite a while
ago, lol. I still have them!!

3 Likes

This is fantastic.

4 Likes

Def going to watch this later. I love the sound of the Viola de Gamba.

2 Likes