Amp to pair with Abyss 1266 TC

It’s still a pretty solid amp in the range, just now it’s up against tougher competition in modern market

Yep, and the output power is a bit lacking for the 1266. It works pretty well with less demanding cans though in my experience, and I like the switchable passthrough without the need to have it fully powered on - pretty useful feature.

2 Likes

Oooohhhhhhhh. [Drool]

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks much for looking out. I’m UK based so would prefer local. I’m on the hunt for a suitable dealer that might be able to do both the inpol ear and the formula s on a home demo. I have to say that I am drawn to the Pathos given how much I have loved the little Aurium.

2 Likes

Curious if anyone has heard the Luxman P-750U hp amp before? Especially interested in pairing with 1266 Phi TC if possible?

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=7

It’s rated at 4 watts/channel @ 32 ohms so should have plenty of juice. I’ve heard the Luxman integrated amplifier (L-590AXII) and it made my Hegel sound like crap in comparison. I’m not great at describing the Luxman house sound but my god I liked what I heard. Just wondering if that translated to their headphone amp implementation as well?

This amp gets very little love from the hp forum community and even less from reviewers.

It actually works pretty great with it, as long as you don’t mind trading some raw technical performance for that luxman warmth and sweetness, great body and nice impact too, wider stage, somewhat forgiving compared to other options

It does for the most part

The problem (imo) is that in the us, it’s fairly more expensive than in other places so that makes it less viable

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah new I found it for $3200 so it’s up there in Niimbus US4 base territory. Sounds like I would trade off some technical capabilities but get some added warmth and forgiveness.

I wish Accuphase made a dedicated headphone amp… The other option is to get a Accuphase E450 integrated amp or a Luxman L-550 then go speaker taps…

hmm all the options to consider :slight_smile:

You can do that as well lol

Yeah I heard a luxman L-590AXII and harbeth (p3r I believe) setup and now in love. I’m not a harberh fan persay but would like to mimic that sound with the phi tc if possible.

:ok_hand:

What was the dac for that chain? (or analog source, just curious)

Well if you were after that, picking up a luxman would def help with that, I’m not sure it would be possible to get the 1266 to sound anything like a p3esr, but at least you can address the luxman aspect lol

It was an arc CD player / dac:

And the speakers were the reference 30.1 Harbeth

It’s possible they had another Dac in the chain. I was primarily focused on the speaker amp synergy when listening. I should have taken more notes on the setup.

I loved my Maggie Hegel chain but this was far better in a small room I ever got. It’s weird once your hear a sound setup you just know if you like it or not. I just want to get that sound in my hp setup.

1 Like

Was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience with the new ampsandsound forge? If so how did you like the pairings with Susvara/1266 Phi TC? Did you try the KT88s to get the dynamic punch?

I think it’s an upgraded Mogwai developed to pair with planars and dynamics.

You bought 10kish DAC go wa33 ELITE or Well audio HeadTrip 2. I’ve had 15 different amps and 13 different DACs.