Amplifier suggestions for Falcon LS3/5A

unfortunately your profile is hidden : (

Try it now, there is no reason for it to be hidden, you should be able to see it now though.

2 Likes

which rega have you tried it with? heard good things, but not sure if the cheapest rega brio will have enough juice for 15ohm ls3/5a.

graham ls6 is awesome. i own one as well.

1 Like

I would go with the Elex-R, it sounds a lot better than the Brio. (Edit: I only tried 9ohm Chatwell 3/5) I really love it and still use it instead of some of my way more expansive Amplifiers. I was able to get my hands on a preproduction Rega Aethos for a Day and ordered one immediately. But due to the whole pandemic, it still hasn’t even been shipped.
Just remember to not use a Rega amp with very low impedance speakers. And Rega amplifiers will get very hot → put the on top of the rack. They also make a loud pop when switching on, but this is normal due to the simplistic design.

Congratulations! I love my LS6 to death. It’s a miracle how they manage to sound like a big 5/9. The Elex-R gives you a very enjoyable experience with the LS6. But to get the full dynamic potential out of them you need at least a very stable 100watt into 8ohm. They need more power than a 5/9 but scale the same way with better amplifiers.

I can access it.

1 Like

from what I read, rega amps are on the brighter side. It is so weird considering that rega, a bright amp, pairs well with BBC speakers while on the other spectrum, slow warm tube amps like sugden also pairs well.

I own a modern variant, Harbeth C7ES-3, and used it on both SS and tube amp. I really feel like BBC shine so much with tube amps. I currently have a Line Magnetic with KT88s and desperately want one in the future with 300b and 805/845s.

1 Like

Regas are not dark in sound, right. But they are also not bright in sound. What distinguishes them from many other amplifiers in this price range is that they sound very true to the source. With a bright DAC and bad cables the Rega will therefore sound bright. I would describe the sound as fast and mid-forward. A rega sometimes leaves details aside to make it sound smoother. The details are there, but you are not forced to listen to them with full attention.

sugden are Class A transistor

Yes and no.
It always depends on which qualities of a system you personally value. Especially the more traditional big BBC from Rogers or Graham can develop other good qualities with transistor amplifiers. Also you always have to compare in the same price range and not every amplifier fits every speaker. My Audionet sounds beautiful on traditional BBCs but too forward with Harbeth. I think Harbeth generally just like tubes more than other BBCs.

2 Likes

Thanks for the anecdotal evidence and clarification. Like anything else, we can safely assume that most things are case-by-case. That’s why at-home auditions are so important.

1 Like

@Nick_Mimi it appears you certainly did eat your words lol. This thread has a ton of good suggestions and experience so thanks for pointing it out!

I may end up eating my words as well but I’m somewhat confident the gear I have will at least give me a few flavours and good enough quality as to not embarass myself. I use tidal quite a bit and have a modest collection of FLAC files. I have a Denafrips Pontus I’ll be putting in the room (hoping they ship that soon) and a bifrost 2 and ares ii as well if needed I can move from my from desk. M0N mentions parasound right out of the gate here which gives me confidence in my a23+ and a Yamaha A-S2100 as well to try.

So really I’m hoping for a much more uneventful experience here lol. Your passion for these little speakers really comes through in your posts as well. Really awesome to see because that’s the whole point :+1:

I’m pretty sure I’ll be starting this journey with an old set of rogers in decent condition. Not the gold tag but I figure it’s a good place to start. Honestly really love the thought of the p3esr as well but we will see.

I’m not a mod but @M0N I feel like I highjacked that other thread so I’ll respond over here going forward. If you feel like moving some of the back and forth from over there to here I’ll leave that to your discretion.

3 Likes

I know your equipment, you will enjoy them. Just remember they are small speakers and as such don’t push them too hard. Let them break in for few days Just playing at low volume and then enjoy them. Good luck with whatever you choose.

1 Like

Has anyone had any experience with pairing a Enleum Amplifier with the Falcon?

I’m writing this in 2022, October 18. In 2020 I wanted to purchase ‘a sibling’ of these Falcons, the Sterling Broadcast LS3/5a v3. For bass I tried addition of the AB2 bass stands (more versatile than the original Rogers AB1). All sounded very sweet with the Moon amplifier from Norway.
During the listening session I asked the dealer to hook up the LS3/6 (big brother and a decendant of Spendor SB1; this one redesigned by Spencer and Dorothy’s son and officially BBC certified).
This solved my bass problem and left me speechless. The sound was much bigger and still very natural. The character of the LS3/5 but much more mature and with much bigger range. But, still usable as nearfiel monitors…
For amplifcation I use (for neutrality’s sake) the Cambridge Audio Azur 851A. The LS3/6 could use a bigger amplifier, but I believe that it would also be a perfectly match for the Falcon LS3/5 speakers. Much more affordable than some of the examples mentioned above.