AMPs for LS50 on a desk

This is mostly true, but you also have to account for measurements of each amp and how they react to outputting more power vs how distortion and other artifacts that may occur react.

You may be able to drive the speakers to high spl at max output for a 50 watt rms amp, but it may noticeably distort even with reasonable volume levels depending on the quality of the amp, so I would say that as long as you aren’t getting distortion you are fine

Each amp will react different depending on what technology it uses and how it was designed, so that’s something to check first

2 Likes

Agreed, notable distortion at reasonable volumes would be an issue much like how compression at higher volumes typically is, but I’d argue that this examples would be a poor design or defective units.

While topologies do differ in what they tend to do, I do not think there is as much of a difference as there once was and that a well designed class d can be as good as a well designed class ab amp , and vice-versa.

I agree that the gap between class ab and class d has pretty much realistically closed besides the ultra high end, I still have seen some budget amps that can only use around 60-70% of their rated power before hitting noticeable distortion. Will everyone notice this, probably not, but it’s still there. I usually figure that if a more budget oriented class d is rated for 50 watts rms, 35 watts will be at acceptable distortion levels. Just something to take into account.

Amp compression is pretty different, so I don’t think Ill touch on that

1 Like

Sorey to derail topic - seeking advice but don’t want to open a new thread specifically!
I have an XPA2 Gen2 on my desk - has anyone powered LS50s with the Emotiva? If so, what are your thoughts?

I think it’s a good paring, plenty of headroom and better bass response imo

Thankyou! I thought it would be :smiley:

In the same position as @Fysicall.
Looking for a desktop amp for my LS50’s in Europe.
Size doesn’t matter.
Used nearfield most of the time, but sometimes I turn it up … :slight_smile:

Class A/B:
Behringer KM750 €135

Crown XLi 800 €239

Emotiva A-100 €298

Emotiva A-300 €479

Class D:
Crown XLS 1002 €279

Crown XLS 1502 €369

Marantz PM6006

IOTAVX SA3

I would pick one of these because I think they are a better value for your money. These Amplifiers are true HiFi Components with great sound
IOTAVX should be a better choice for a room

Thanks for the response!
The PM6006 was on sale a couple of months ago (amazon.de) … should have bought it … :slight_smile:

Edit:
Seems that the IOTAVX is on sale atm
They seem to be an European version of what Emotiva and Monoprice is in the USA.

IOTAVX PA3 - AUDIOPHILE POWER AMPLIFIER €397 -> €340 = 14% Discount
IOTAVX SA3 - AUDIOPHILE INTEGRATED STEREO AMPLIFIER €511 -> €454 = 11% Discount

1 Like

Just discovered your Edit now…
I would go with the integrated option. A matching preamp is very important for good sound.
I’m not really an expert with budget stuff but I heard the SA3 several times and was really impressed by it. I would definitely choose it over Crown or Emotiva (value isn’t that great considering import tax). You are getting a lot for your money with the SA3.
@M0N any further suggestions?

From what I read, it is best to get both SA3 and PA3 which enhances the sound a bit. But then the price goes up to €800, so that’s another level :slight_smile:

1 Like

I made the comparison with and without the power amp on the Buchardt S400 and the difference is not particularly big in a small room. The LS50 are very efficient and the performance should be more than sufficient. If you lack punch in the bass or you want to try something new, you can still add the PA3. But then I would still think more about a subwoofer than about the Poweramp on the LS50.
There is always something better like a Naim Nait 5si for your LS50 but for now the SA3 is a very good amplifier.

Thanks again for the information.
So now comes my next question.
What sub would you add to it?
I read a couple of times a sealed sub would be a good combo.

1 Like

Personally I prefer to use closed subwoofers as they generally have better control and speed but don’t reach as low as ported ones.
DSP is a good thing in a subwoofer for room adjustment.
I have had good experience with JL audio Dominion subwoofers and the SVS SB-1000 is also very popular option even though neither of them have DSP. But there are a lot of good companies. It’s best to open a new topic in the appropriate category, because I dont´t know everything lol.

1 Like

I was looking for relatively budget AMPs, and Zeos had this video on budget speaker AMPs.

I’m thinking of going for the SMSL A300.
To confirm, is the A300 sufficient at 85Wx2 (8Ω)?
KEF recommends between 25-100W, so probably decent.

It has a Sub output, but would be limited by power at that point right?

For now was thinking of using Bluetooth while I set up a more permanent setup, but I do have and SMSL M3 DAC/AMP.
Does it make sense to use the M3’s Line Outs, to the A300’s Line Ins?
Not sure what numbers to look for the DAC.

Got a deal on LS50s, but need to build out the rest, so going piece by piece…

Did some more searching so will update a bit here:

To confirm, is the A300 sufficient at 85Wx2 (8Ω)?

Found a reviewer who used LS50s, and the A300 seemed acceptable:

It has a Sub output, but would be limited by power at that point right?

Most subwoofers are active, and not passive, so knowing that, should not be an issue.

Does it make sense to use the M3’s Line Outs, to the A300’s Line Ins?

Still a question, but not relevant here.
Currently thinking I don’t see a reason why it would not work…