amps for the Hifiman?

I always try to buy used. Can save quite some money and never had a problem.

Also bought a few times from china, no issue either but I never had to return something. Can imagine that is where the trouble could start

You already know the answer. 3.5mm to RCA cable.

The Tempotec is a DAC/AMP combo. On full volume it outputs 2V, that is the basic RCA voltage and required to get the full 2W out of the Magni. The D10s gives out 2V over its RCA’s too. So you could use the tempotec as your DAC feeding the Magni.

Only want to show the options, you have to decide.
I would say get whatever Magni you feel comfortable to buy. If you don’t feel comfortable to buy used then don’t do it. If you just want a normal desktop setup get the D10s. If you like the idea to have a decent USB dongle for on the go too and safe some money you could get the tempotec.

You either had the k5 pro’s volume down on the pc or are going deaf bruv, or your headphones are defective idk…
You don’t need that much power , I can drive my 400i from a dongle dac on my phone or don’t go past 10 o’clock on a liquid spark, there’s something weird about your situation.

1 Like

Well I was looking at the specs of the Topping DX3 Pro+ and it says 1800mw x2 at 32ohm, does that mean it has 3600mw? because if that were the case then the dx3 pro+ would have more power than the magni for more volume or am I wrong?

I was also looking for other options and what do you recommend about the iFi Zen CAN? It is at 199 dollars on amazon and it says in its specifications that it is 1600mw with balanced cable at 32ohm and the truth is that I tried the sound with balanced cable once and it gives a much cleaner and more detailed sound, I had thought of using the iFi Zen CAN as an amplifier with balanced cable with the hifiman and combine it with the Tempotec as a DAC using RCA to 3.5mm, what do you think of that idea?

Yes…and no…Yes, it does have 3600mW. When we are saying amp XY has 1W then this always means 2x1W because you have a left and a right channel on the headphone. So the 2.4W that the schiit has is also 2x2.4W.
The ZEN Can is great amp for 300 Ohm headphones. The CAN can deliver 650mW into 300 ohm but “only” 1.2W into 32 Ohm. So from the volume point we are talking about all the time it will be quieter than the K5. But as ragecandy said too, that should be more than enough.

The zen can sounds a little warmer because it is class A and the bass boost button is nice to have (but you always could EQ that). Both could make the very neutral 400se a little more enjoyable. You might also like the 3D button the zen can has (crossfeed)

wow friend the truth is that you know a lot about the subject and you have helped me a lot and I thank you so according to what you say is that the magni amplifier has more power than the Topping DX3 Pro+ for volume.
so my best option will be to buy the magni on ebay and combine it with the Tempotec DAC.

If power is the main goal then, yes the magni is still better than the other two.
Don’t want to confuse you again but when the Magni is hard to get for you and would pay around 200 anyway then the Topping L50 (3.2W) is worth to have a look at. Maybe you get this one on amazon.

friend and with that Topping L50 it would be much more powerful in volume?, for how many dB would a comparison of the fiio k5 pro have more?
And the best thing is that I found the Topping L50 on ebay cheaply and that would be an excellent option, and it would be enough to combine it with the DAC.

Close to 5db gain in comparison with the K5.

The L50 is not that much more powerful than the magni but:

• Less distortion and noise than the Magni.
  • XLR Connector (it is not a balanced amp so don’t buy an XLR headphone cable) .
  • Nicer build.
  • The Magni gets quite warm/hot, the L50 not.
  • L50 has balanced input if you ever should buy another DAC in the future with balanced output.
  • L50 has 3 gain settings (Preamp Volume steps), Magni has two.
  • Magni has the On/off and gain switch on the back. L50 on the front.

but the mangi has 2w and the topping L50 you say it has 3.2w, so shouldn’t the topping be more powerful?

Yes it is. Just not that much. Like explained earlier you need double the power for every +3dB(1W 0dB, 2W +3dB , 4W +3db, 8W +3db). So the difference between 2.0W and 3.2W is not that big anymore like between 1W and 2W. It’s a logarithmic system, to go higher and higher you need ridiculous amounts of power.

Magni in comparison to K5, +3dB
L50 in comparison to K5, +5dB

1 Like