Amps that can drive headphones

This is interesting. I’d like to know more about this.

I feel like you just answered your own question with that quote.

Last night I was playing around with various combos for my DT 880 600s, and ended up using my new Ares II DAC to feed a Geshelli Labs Archel2 Pro (single ended) solid state amp. Using high gain with the volume knob at about 3:00, Smashmouth’s All Star sounded the best I’d ever heard it! In mp3 even! It was an exceptional, rich, full-range, surround-sound experience. Every note, every timbre, was exactly on point. The other tracks on my playlist didn’t quite make such an impression, but it’s still a winning combination.

Does anyone know about the Archel2’s topology/class? Traditional transistors? Op amps?

I ordered my Argon Mk3s on Apr 15. With a 12-week lead time, they should be here in a couple of weeks. I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.

2 Likes

I personally used to own the Argons and had no issues powering it with my old Archel 2.5. I think you will be surprised how good it will sound.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback :smiley: this’s exactly the reason I started this thread…first hand feed back and not just manufacture’s figures and claims :+1:

1 Like

After watching Z’s recent review of the 880 600s and witnessing the resulting kerfuffle, I actually wrote to Beyerdynamic to ask for their take/suggestions. I’m not surprised they haven’t gotten back to me. :unamused:

1 Like

I hope they get back to you because I’m really curious. In the meantime we can perhaps gain some level of insight into Beyer’s thinking by looking at their own headphone amplifier:

They specify its maximum output level as 170mW @ 250ohm. Being that it’s a solid state design it is very unlikely the power goes up for 600ohm loads. To my knowledge, AKG is the only other headphone maker that has any 600ohm models for consumer use. That tells me Beyer is intending this amp for use with their own headphones.

Here’s a shot under its hood:

https://images.app.goo.gl/6biu187jarUedczn9

(tagging @MazeFrame to tell us what kind of amp that is)

Beyer also says on that product page that the A20 is good for 600ohm loads with a high level source. I think it is therefore reasonable to hypothesize that Beyerdynamic themselves don’t think it’s necessary to overwhelm their 600ohm headphone models with power. That also does NOT mean that their own A20 amp is the best match to any of their individual headphones, either.

Though please, @AllegroMaestoso, do tell us what they say if they do get back to you.

2 Likes

Topology overview:

1. Controll logic
  2. Power Conditioning (Device side) (← not super sure, there might be a chip in there)
  3. PSU (switchmode)
  4. Power Filter (Grid side)
  5. Input stage (1 Op Amp per L or R)
  6. Amplifier stage (discrete transistors sinking heat into the exposed solder pads)
  7. 100 Ohm resistors
  8. Relay

That relay looks to only be a start up delay as pin 2 and 7 don’t go anywhere.

Channel breakdown
It is a mostly straight forward class AB, without taking a multimeter to it, the nature of the yellow marked areas will remain a mystery.
If I had to guess, I would say it is feedback or transient clamping, that is a shot in the dark though.

TL;DR Discrete transistor based class AB with 100 Ohm output impedance

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks, @MazeFrame.

I interpret all this to mean that the folks at Beyerdynamic think that a moderately powerful class A/B amp is a good match for their headphones. Individual listeners are, of course, free to disagree. I still think the DT880 sounds best on my Darkvoice, for example.

1 Like

I’m saving for a Dac but my next amp purchase will be the flux lab fa-10. Class A and 16 watts into 32ohm for 750… initial feedback on headfi Is that it’s a beast. She’ll do 1 watt into 600 ohm.

Likely red or blue

https://fluxlab-acoustics.com/product/fa10/

1 Like

Wow Susvara is a serious headphone. but i hear it sounds amazing

That is cheap for a shit ton of power! Do you have any 600 Ohm headphones?
I am thinking about trying out a pair as one of my amps will do 600mW at 600 Ohms and I am curious.