đŸ”¶ Andover PM-50

Are you missing a word there? You’re saying they’re not particularly detailed right?

Mmmmm. No. It’s hard to describe. I guess the best way is to explain it is a comparison. I can hear all the detail I can hear with the Sundara if I listen, with slightly less soundstage, and a little more bloat / bleed to the source of the sound. As in it sounds like it’s more diffuse. With the slightly elevated bass and mids compared to the sundara, this gives the feeling of warmth / enveloping sound. I can still hear the details if I try, but because of this diffuseness it’s harder to pull out (but I’ll emphasize again and again, they are still there on both the Sundara and the PM-50). However, after A/Bing and listening to each for longs periods of time, I firmly believe they are able to pull out the same level of detail. It’s just that the airyness, spaciousness, and crispness of the sundaras make it much much easier to pull out without a lot of concentration.

Does that make any sense?

For the comparison

Take this album The Wailing Wailers by Bob Marley and the Wailers. Simmer Down specifically sounds much much better on the PM-50s. It still sounds like an old recording, and you can still hear the edginess and peakiness inherent, but because everything is a little more ‘round’ there is less harshness available. Still not a good recording by any stretch, but whereas the Sundaras ruthlessly reveal the flaws, the PM-50s give them to you in a less offputting way. I can still hear everything, but the way it’s presented is warmer and rounder and fuller, so it’s easier to ignore the flaws and just enjoy the music. My Eikon does the same thing in a way, but it has better separation and imaging than either the PM-50 or Sundara by miles. Maybe it’s timbre? Idk. Trying to explain my best here.

I’m probably just insane tbh. Also, apparently there’s some people who fucking hate these things in their entirety. I don’t really get it. These just aren’t super analytical cans, they just make music sound good, the horror.

3 Likes

I also got such an email. I assume that’s off the $499 standard price? If so the Drop deal has rendered this moot.

Also, does your email about this offer say the deadline is midnight Friday May 25 2020? Today is Friday and it’s 5/22. There will be no such day this year.

1 Like

Yea. Not exactly worth the $500 unless you have the money.

$400 is a fair price for these though. Get it through drop if you’re going for it, unless they do the initial sale again.

These things are apparently highly devisive so far. I love them, but we’ll see if that holds up to broader public scrutiny.

1 Like

FWIW, Zeos thinks these are a $200 headphone being passed as a $500 headphone.

Not my opinion, just passing the word along

Yea, have seen. I couldn’t disagree more, but again it’s all opinions. I had my sister step in again (and my cousins (keep in mind they aren’t audiophiles)) and their opinions line up with mine with a couple caveats.

Did I just get a magical pair, or are my ears just broke lol.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response. I think I get what your saying. Though I probably would need to hear a pair myself

1 Like

This must mean they sound really good then. :wink:

I commonly see headphones described as having similar detail retrieval capabilities but one simply has the details presented more forward to you. Does that align with what your explaining in a simplified version or maybe it could be described as the Andover having some sort of masking effect on the details?

1 Like

I really don’t know which one to pick.

On one hand, when I a/b the sundaras, I can still pick out the details on the pms. When both have been warmed up and are actively being listened to. It takes a bit more thinking / concentration than the sundaras though. So the above statement sounds accurate.

On the other hand, if I wear the eikons or sundara for an extended period (>= 24 hrs) (and leave the pms idle), they sound muted for at least an hour before they just start sounding warm instead of veiled.

Does that help?

1 Like

I mean, when I tried them I think they are really good
 a solid contender with the Sundara but I don’t think they are particularly worth that price tag considering how Sundara is priced and in its current price range you go head to head with Ananda(on sale or used) and Edition XX(used) among other headphones like the aeon open x. If you can find these at $400 or less though? yeah, I think they are worth it especially if you can get a solid pair of pads on them instead of those on ear
 get some nice thick over ear sheep skins or perfs, while I haven’t tested myself, I think it would do wonders for this headphone. just my opinion though
 I really fought on whether or not to keep them lmfao I ended up keeping my aeons though instead mainly because I prefer that wide open warm sound they provide. @Pr3ssAltF4 honestly If they would just make that big fat pad that comes with it an actual over ear? I would definitely be sold
 cuz man is that pad ultra soft lol

1 Like

Right? Can they make those pads around ears and can I put them on everything I own?

Yea. Once you hit $500 I assume it’s probably better to spend the money on an Elex or something better. I can’t speak for T50 mods either. At $350 or $400 the PMs seem to be worth it.

So this is now public. To say Zeos was not a fan would be an understatement lol

3 Likes

Yea. I saw it. I disagree with most, if not all, of his criticisms of it. He had mentioned in the full thing that he got a magical pair of another pair of headphones, I’m guessing that might be the case here with me.

I mean, I think my best way to say how much I like them is that I’m selling my Sundaras to keep the PM-50s, and I love my Sundaras.

I’ll say it again too, these aren’t analytical cans. They’re not meant to be. I believe the tuning is intentional, and that’s why I love them.

2 Likes

anyone have measurements for this headphone? I’m really curious what the tuning is and why z hates it so. oops nvm all I had to do is scroll up

He didnt compare them to his Sundaras, rather then the Goldstar GL600

In the subscriber video (idk if it’s the exact same as the public one) he did bring up the Sundaras a few times iirc.

Nope, my bad. He did, but not till 20 minutes in did he plug them in. (Thank GOD I caught myself
 I hate how people use the word “like” all the fuckin time)

2 Likes

Hahaha, yea, it’s like a little frustrating.

I haven’t seen Z rant like that in awhile (although, I’m not an every-video watcher). It’s fine that he didn’t like the Andovers, but he was dismissive of reviewers who did say good things about them, which I didn’t think was particularly cool. One of the reviewers was Brent Butterworth. I was reading Butterworth’s reviews back when I was in middle school some 25+ years ago. Butterworth has decades of experience reviewing audio and home theater gear - which makes him neither infallible or right about the Andovers - but does make Z’s swatting him aside a bit off, IMO.

3 Likes