AQ Nighthawk upgrade around $1000

IMO I think the th900mk2 is a higher tier than the 7200, the 9200 is a closer comparison imo. I personally think the better value would be something like the emu teak, and to get to the real next tier you would want to go for stuff like the 9200 or 900mk2 or auteur, etc

1 Like

So the Cascades tend to pair well with most amps? Also what kind of amps does the th900mk2 pair well with? or is that all personal preference? little different sound sigs here and there or just need a beefier amp? This is what I don’t know much about.

I wish I had shops or meets near me so I could physically learn more about pairing amps and headphones etc before buying. When it comes to higher end game as well how important are different dacs?

The cascades aren’t as picky, the 900mk2 can get too bright or harsh on some amps. It depends on your budget and tastes for which amp you go for

Oh, Okay. What about the Emu Teak you mentioned earlier? How do those mock up to the Cascades and th900 mk2s?

I’ve seen some Z1R’s sell for $1000 used. Some retailers are selling them $1500 new if you’re lucky.

2 Likes

They are going to be more neutral than the cascades and also a bit differently tuned than the th900. I don’t think they are as detailed as the 900 but they might be on a similar level as the cascades. They are just very good biodynas that are well respected, and at around 350 on massdrop with an attacked cable they are pretty awesome

1 Like

i believe the current drop run is over

curious on your thoughts about the other woods for the teaks? if you’ve heard them

I assume the emu ebony have a different sound to them?

Yes, but personally I would order the teak because I think you can order the ebony cups separately but not the teaks if I recall correctly. IMO the teak is more refined and desirable than the ebony. The x00 ebony is the cream of the crop of the x00s though lol