Argon MKIII Still Worth Getting?

In the days of Sendy Aivas, Blons, and other hyped up planars, are Argon MKIII’s still worth getting? In the past I have heard nothing but good things, however they seem not to be brought up much these days.

Currently own HD600 and M1060. Plan on potentially selling off M1060 for LCD2C down the line. I do however want to get a pair of Argons if they are worth the time. I would be powering them off a SMSL SP200.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

So the argons do have a unique sound, but they are a bit overhyped imo, and the wait is kinda long. If you know what you are getting into they are good but if you are looking for a general all purpose upgrade I would look to other models

So, the tech that went into the T50 series is very old these days so unless the sound sig of the Mk3 is exactly what you want you may want to pass on it. I will say I love my T60RPs but they are a bit fatiguing to me.

I mean I would be more apt to suggest the t50 or the t60 over the argon’s. The t50 is still very good but I think the argons have a more specific tuning

Yeah I had a bit of a feeling people these days were going to be a bit lukewarm regarding Argons. Makes sense with the lack of discussion about them. Might give the T50 Mk3 with shure pads a shot, depending on some more research. I heard the highs can be piercing and that is something I tend not to be a fan of.

I would recommend that for sure. If you enjoy that, then perhaps you would want to consider making them an argon. The t50 is good on it’s own anyway, still a very solid pair

I mean if Argons are not for you there are probably 1000 other different mods to do to T50RPs. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe getting T60RPs and just changing the pads could be enough for people who want something “Argon-ish” ? But they’re like twice the price and it’s way too much IMHO.

I’ve done this to mine. That’s so stupid but so effective lol.

so if you do get a mk3 you should shoot an email to the modhouse guy and ask him what pads would best suit your sound taste

that reminds me, my suede pads for my t60rp Arogns should be here Sunday or Monday. threw a series of long and uninteresting events I ended up getting my set with lambskin pads and well lambskin on them is not the best.

I still got my T50rp’s. I havnt sent them in yet. 90$ for the conversion. I paid 150$ for the T50rp. If i dont like them i guess i could sell them on ebay.

Should i get pads for them too? its 50$ more. Which pads where best? I like balanced or neutral sound. more towards bright. but not painfull. they got suede, protein, cowhide and lambskin. Then they got the Eikon pads for 70$ more for lambskin, perforated lambskin, suede, perforated suede and protein.

Or maybe i should get pads from somewhere else?

I wonder what this does with the stock pads. Just do this with the foam (turn it a bit to hide the four corners of the planar driver) and it will change the sound drastically.

Maybe that’s all you need to like these.

Otherwise, 20$ for Shure 840 pads instead of the “treble murder pancake pads” will make these into V-Shaped bass monsters.

honestly that’s a question you should ask modhouse https://www.modhouseaudio.com/contact

If your budget goes up to $600 and you see this within the next 24 hours, grab a Kennerton Magni on sale and thank me later.

I’m also enjoying the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony for a little less than the Magni ($420 used w/extra pads). Gives most of what the Argon brings to the table, but without the distortion or distant vocals.

I’ve not tried them, but I’ve heard the Emu Teak are even better than the Ebony’s by a hair.

If I ever go in “collect mode”, I’ll buy another pair of the Argons. I loved the sound signature and they are unique. Over time I just couldn’t get past the distortion and vocals I felt like I had to strain to hear.

I enjoy my MK2 with MK3 baffles. The trick is proper amp power. An LCX with a balanced DAC in is kinda minimum imo.

1 Like

I think the best pairing for the price unbalanced is the asgard 3, and balanced there are more options

1 Like

good idea! i think i will

Thanks for the heads up. Right now that is just a bit more than Id like to spend. But if I see these down the line on sale again I might give them a shot.