šŸ”· Audio-Technica ATH-M40x

Great headphones, been using them for the past couple of years, however the biggest point of failure I find is the hinge cracking. I nearly always remove the headphones from above the hinge save for once or twice, so Iā€™m not sure if thereā€™s anything else Iā€™m doing wrong, or if itā€™s just simply a failure in the design on Audio-Technicaā€™s part, but this is the second time Iā€™ve encountered the problem in the past 4 years, and it looks like my Iā€™ll be getting a third pair soon enough once it breaks.

Otherwise love them, great headphones.

Oh sweet, I didnā€™t even know they made a wireless adapter for these. As far as ā€œZMFā€ pads, which ones are you using?

Iā€™m finding the default pads uncomfortable for my ears after a half hour, but I donā€™t want to return these since I like the way they sound. Are the pads you refer to similar in shape or say longer vertically like Jubilee HD58X (which I find to be the most comfortable pads for my head/ear shape)?

Hey bro gimme 10 minutes Iā€™ll link

I bought these for the more neutral tone but am going to try the cowhides, and yes this is a sleek Bluetooth adaptor, but volume is lower than my BTR5

i have the cowhides actually!

3 Likes

And some SENN headband pads? What were ur thoughts on those verse stock?

more soundstage, more laid back bass, less aggressive highs

Has anyone else tried these with Shure 1540 pads?

Yup!
Running them balanced as well.

Is it me, or do those pads fix the headphones?

Mine really broke due to my little brother accidentally sitting on them and now they are dangling therefore I cannot wear them anymore. Yeah, I agree that is one of the issues that the M40x has and man it sucks more when I did some modifications on mine with the pads and cable replaced. RIP my M40x.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by ā€œfixingā€.

For me, the Shure HPAEC1540 definitely increase comfort, especially in 48C+ Australian summer, so the pads donā€™t stick to your face.

Itā€™s been a long time since I heard them with any other pad, so this is going from memories a long time ago, The pads probably did bring up the low end. Sound stage did get better with the balanced mod.

I just saw this old picture of my M40x when I first bought it, looking at it right now makes me feel a bit sad since I can no longer get this beauty to work again. Also this was the time that I never had the new pads and new cable back then, it was stock to the brim. Still love it to this day man and I miss it.

1 Like

I recently found the arm assemblies on fullcompass.com for $12.25 plus tax with free shipping. Left arm assembly is part number 385409180, right arm assembly is 385409190.

Funny how I just converted mine with a cheap M50x style headband

So yeah, another option. theyā€™re around AU$25

1 Like

Would that headband replacement work with non modified m40x?

Yup, pretty much a straight replacement.
It does however, rotates the cups a little bit (not sure if Iā€™m describing it the correct way)

Look at the tip of the Audio Technica ā€˜Aā€™ logo on the cup, compared to the original (image below)

Hope that helps

Oh, I see, are you using angled pads? did that rotation affect comfort in any way?

The pads are Shure HPAEC1540. Iā€™m using the same pads on a pair of ATH-MSR7SE as well.

If anything, I find the M40x cups with the M50x headband somewhat more comfortable.

Overall, the cheap headband was lighter, and sits on a better spot on my head (but then again, your mileage might differ)

Bro, do you have a guide for the balanced mod? I only saw one from instructables.