🔷 Audio Technica ATH-WP900

It’s already the slightly less bright offerings in Audio-Technica, and people say Grados are bright :stuck_out_tongue:

My bad, forgot how versatile the Violectric is. The output impedance is pretty low it seems so the pairing should be fine.

I know you aren’t very impressed with the BF2, but may I suggest the reason it sounds full and bassy is partly because of it?

You certainly may. :grin:

I don’t hate the BF2 or think it’s a bad product. I was just underwhelmed.

I think the combo of a tube amp and a Loki set to big bass gave them the full, bassy sound. But of course the BF2 also played a part.

1 Like

On the brightness point, my early impressions are these are definitely V-shaped headphones. Lots of treble, lots of bass and good mids.
With the Grado GH2’s, for me, it is about 75% mids and the remainder split between bass and treble. I find the bass weak and I barely notice the treble. But mids for miles.

As soon as I put the WP900’s on I heard treble. A short time later I started to hear the bass. The mids sound fine and are in no way scooped out.

Pretty cool sound overall.

Spot on! It’s probably the first and only v-shaped Audio-Technicas (excluding the lower end consumer products) whereas the bassiest Grado is never v shaped. Personally coming from other ATs I’d prefer the WP900 to have a bit more mid presence

1 Like

This v-shape is very special, I don’t think they are that bright but rather trebley. Its a weird v-shape as well, sometimes the mids are upfront and sometimes they’re recessed depending on the mix. Very hard to describe the sound from this pair.

Coming from other ATs I did expect more mid-emphasis, or them to be sweeter, like in their solid bass or monitor line.

The grado GH seem like an awesome set, I wonder how they do against the hemps, congratulations on your 2 woodies.

2 Likes

I think it’s recessed but if the vocal is female it tends to reach the upper mid / treble bit which is then forward again

same, its recessed in a part of the mids I don’t mind, but some songs come out a little bit cold cause of that dip. Still somehow doesn’t take away from guitar crunch and pedals buzz.

1 Like

I actually have three woodies but my T60RP’s are currently vacationing in Pennsylvania. :laughing:

2 Likes

Do You find them good for noisy environments? Work, travel, etc.

yes, they are good for all of those, with my previous glasses they really werent but got smaller frames and now they are. just get a case.

I was browsing cases on Amazon. My Meze 99’s had a great hard case. I just rolled with them in my kit bag every day. They are still perfect shape after three years, although the pads were wearing.

Like to find something that would give me the same confidence with these.

Not sure if Geekria is available there, but they are good quality. Alternatively I’d suggest getting any generic case that fits, and get egg shape foam to fill the gaps, it won’t get more secure as this :stuck_out_tongue:

On head-fi they shared some good cases like 10 pages from where they are now, I just use geekria or focal case cause Im broke.

And I recommend the burn in as well, I never heard as much change from a burn in as with this pair.

I have no idea on the time already on these. They were an open box and I think they were returned. They will see lots of hours this week.

The Geekeria cases look fine, it is just a matter of finding the right size.

Amazon.ca has Tons of Geekeria cases. I just have to figure out the correct size.

Try M70X, it’s about the same size. Or MSR7, M50X, ESW990H, SR9

1 Like

This is a great case. I own a slightly older version and it is at least as sturdy as a focal case. Though it might be a bit big, I’m not shure.

This might also work, but I can’t personally vouch for it.

1 Like

Thank you. The second one looks more like it since the cups swivel flat. The first one reminds me of my Meze case.

Off topic but with you grado fans in here, if you had no grados and little income (xD) would you go for the sr80e or save up for a nicer pair, if feel that if I get the sr80e I wont be getting other grados for a very long time (cause they rock).

Why not both? Get the SR80e and an assortment of cheap pads to try. If you like them, then maybe save up for a Hemp, RS2e, or PS500e (they do sound better than the SR80e). Or maybe your happy with the SR80e and can save some money. The SR80e are fairly affordable so there is little harm in trying.

1 Like