šŸ”· Aune X8

You just use the v6 as the stilt lol, see if you can get it to balance somehow. You can get those burson op amp extender cords though so that might also be reasonable

im sure itā€™ll balance just right :ok_hand:

Sounds like exactly what I was expecting. I donā€™t think Iā€™m gonna want anything higher since my cans arenā€™t exactly analytical (HP-3ā€™s) and the RebelAmp isnā€™t as well. Unless you think they would benefit from an R2Rā€¦

So if I assume the rebel amp is in the same tier of stuff like the liquid platinum, Gilmore lite mk2, rnhp, I think that grabbing an ares ii of bifrost 2 would improve it overall more than you would expect (def worth the money imo). That being said you do already have the x8 which is solid imo, and also personally I think your next step would be to go for higher end headphones, as imo where you are at that will make the biggest difference. The aune is solid and the rebelamp looks solid too (I really want them to come back in stock lol), so I would focus on a higher tier of headphones for now for the most sound for the money

HP-3ā€™s are $1379 lmao. Love the v-shape, would the next set up be worth the jump?

Imo yes, going for more of a direct upgrade, imo the zmf eikon is a great pick, or the auteur for a bit more neutral sound. The fostex th900 mk2 also sound up your alley imo

Personally I would rate the hp3 in the 700-800 dollar range, which they can typically be found for used if you want to value something off of price.

There are many other options of course, and it doesnā€™t have to be a more direct upgrade either, stuff like the Arya, focal clear, lcd x range perhaps, and more, but those arenā€™t really v shaped or anything

1 Like

I actually got them during Adoramaā€™s sale for $700, so Iā€™m pretty happy with what I paid. Thanks for all the info.

1 Like

An nice, that was a pretty dang good deal they had on them for new, glad you are liking them :+1:. In this case though, I would say just stick with your current amp and dac, that sounds like a solid pairing imo

1 Like

Yeah I would restrict it to smaller op amps here lol

2 Likes

Mon the Soekris 1321 DAC is 450 new. Are you thinking about the 1421? or the 1541 instead?

1 Like

I was mainly referring to the bifrost 2 and the ares ii with that statement, I just happened to tack on the 3121 without thinking about it, but that statement would apply to more the 1421 yes, lemme change that

1 Like

How do you think the 1321 stacks up against the 1421? i thought it was teh same dac just with a amp.

Itā€™s a higher quality dac in there too besides the headphone amp (the headphone amp in the 1421 is not a highlight imo, itā€™s really moreso a dac then headphone amp), I think the 1421 is just overall an improvement to the great 1321, but it does cost more. I would still get a 1321 though if you find one for a good deal, and my preference would lean towards it over the aune imo, but again it would depend on pairing for if it would be right for your setup

1 Like

Do you think it pairs well with the RNHP?

I think so, the soekris stuff is a tad analytical leaning, and this makes for a good studio reference type sound, really helps with spatial recreation and timbre too, with the filters you cant tweak it more towards your liking too, sounds up your alley where you like good detail and a bit more forward sound

1 Like

Thank you for all of your words, which are also expressed with love.
As far as the op amps are concerned, I can speak part of them completely, I did not own or hear another part of the op amps.
It was certainly not easy to switch the spoiled ears to a less good product.
I do not know how it is with you when you have new devices to hear.
For me it is what I hear first that mostly shapes me. If I listen to it for a longer time, it tends to pick up when everything is quiet, I am mostly satisfied.
I think that you can probably judge that even better if you go from high end to less good and you notice the differences more directly than someone who has hardly been in contact with high end devices.
Thank you for your impressions. There is really nothing to complain about. Great Mon :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. I am still using it, still pretty nice. Currently I am using it with the fostex hp-v8 and my th900 mk2 lawton purplehearts and it does hold up decently well. I am still deciding which opamp I want to leave in there

Edit: so I went back to the stock, and it is pretty solid, to where imo I can say that I wouldnā€™t feel the need to swap out the opamps imo. I still kinda prefer either the muses01 or the burson v5i, but again thatā€™s another like 40-50 bucks on top of this dac that could be used again to be put towards the higher end more significant dacs.

1 Like

So spending more time with it today, my initial thoughts I feel are still fairly accurate of how I feel, just trying it out on more stuff. Did decide to throw it into the higher end setup, but I was limited to amps with unbalanced in, but it did do decently well for the price imo. It was nice with the mz3 using the muses op amp, and was pretty solid with the bakoon with the burson for some things that I though paired well enough that was single ended

3 Likes

quite impressive dollar per dollarā€¦ I think the e30 then the X8 give solid options at their respective price points. If you go up another $100 or $200 what would you suggest? SMSL M500, Topping D90, Sabaj D5 are all in that price point.

I personally think going up, I would absolutely go with the bifrost 2, ares ii, dac1421 range imo. I would skip stuff like the topping d90, gustard, lks, d5 as imo they are margnial upgrades, they are moreso measurement machines and are an upgrade, but barely from stuff like the su8 or m300.

4 Likes