Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 2)

Nobody here needs my opinion on them. Whoever would buy them already is on it so I can take my time

So I had my PR2 since Wednesday, I wanted to do some more direct a/b comparisons but I don’t think I’ll have the chance this weekend so here’s my impressions so far:

• again appreciate the money going to the IEM and not unnecessary accessories
  • foam tips being on by default feels like a mistake, not needed for the sound and they got squished and looked really rough out of the box, hurts the first impressions a bit
  • I had no idea what to expect from planar IEM bass, turns out it’s great, particularly sub bass
  • great all-rounder sound, nothing is missing or particularly over-emphasized
  • fit at least for me is great - and I think they should fit most people, since they don’t go into any extremes when it comes to dimensions
  • if I were to have any complaints, soundstage is just fine

I thought Z300 was going to be my everyday default IEM and only got PR2 because I didn’t have any planar IEMs. But instead PR2 became my new default, and I’m not sure if I’ll like the Z300 as much… they should arrive next week, guess we’ll see. Definitely cleared up some misconceptions about planar IEMs for me and once again proved that tuning is king.

For now, if I had to rec an entry-level set to someone new to the game, I’d rec them the PR2.
(ok, I’d rec them the PR2 and QKZ x HBB but that’s because I love that set too much)
@hawaiibadboy knocking it out of the park again.

12 Likes

Thanks man. Glad you like :notes: :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

141 Days

The speed they grow and learn at is crazy.
That’s why every parent tells you to take all the pics and videos you can.
I get it now.

25 Likes

Cute Baby pics. This is the best time to take them.

Olina is excellent, just out of the box :package: is fantastic. Any truth of a collab upcoming with kiwi ears? Someone on superreviews discord was teasing a 5 driver set similar to the quartet.

4 Likes

You get it now, right?!

It’s unbelievable, the rate in which they grow. You’ll catch your self not remembering how they were just the week before. It’s scary, brother pics and videos are just the best :handshake:

Kai is a handsome gentleman, Chris, congratulations to you and Mrs. HBB

5 Likes

Nice to see some non-reviewers getting them. Mine are in the right time zone finally. I ordered them on 4-24, so we are at 20 days.

I think my PR2 ( ordered from Linsoul on 4-27 ), just left China today, after 17 days.

2 Likes

I felt that way about planars until the S12, which has more bass than most of my collection.

There is a some magic to that IEM.

4 Likes

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I think i might grab those :thinking:

1 Like
10 Likes

Great review but I just wonder. Is this acceptable for over $5000?

You can not really compare measurements from different rigs. While they all may comply to the 711 Standard the microphones itself can still vary. So try to keep it inside each database.
You can see that effect on Super Reviews Squig with his IEF comp target which tries to null the difference between his and crinacles rig.

3 Likes

What’s the issue here? The channel matching of the L/R looks very good, and the singular HBB measurement is done on a different setup/coupler and probably with different tips. Do you have an issue with the FR? Am I missing something here?
Edit: for reference, this is the factory measurement on my pair (STM018):

I will get it measured independently at some point, but I can not discern any imbalance from regular listening.

9 Likes

Good example of Frequency graph tools at work.

Looks close…my 711 and DUNU GRAS
Now go find the other Vulkan’s on Squig :v: :notes:

It’s QC or the Mics… :thinking:
It’s the mics :ok_hand:

4 Likes

4 Likes

We ‘quote’ graphs like we’re throwing confetti :tada: there needs to be some sort of industry standard when it comes to graphing.There’s way too many variables involved for results to be valid in most cases…seems B&K 5128 is closest to being what is actually physically audible by the human ear?..graphs help, but certainty don’t tell the whole story :musical_score::notes::musical_note:

3 Likes

No graph, even if there was one industry standard everyone follows, would be good enough because ear anatomy just does things. It’s part of why we can’t agree on terms like neutral, bright, warm etc. Even in the upgrade matrix I’m developing I am strictly defining the terminology I’m using and I KNOW there will be “that’s not what bright is to me” pushback.

But defining things and having graphical reference points are still extremely valuable, as long as we recognize the standard that sedition or reference is coming from. You don’t have to personally agree with a standard but if it’s consistent, the data will still be reliable.

7 Likes

Just got my Blon Z300 gold edition, the quality of the cable is unreal at this price point!

Fit and sound are on point for me, looking back over the last couple of years IEM’s have evolved to amazing value.

10 Likes

Anyone got any tip recs for the Z300? Almost none of the tips I have fit and before I go blindly buying, would be nice to know if anyone knows some that mesh well with them.