BASS Headphone help

Looking into a new purchase for some nice BASS headphone

Current Setup Use with Desktop
-Schiit Lyr3 with Modius stack
-Dekoni Blue T50RP
-Grado 325E
-Hifiman Sundara

Of the 3, I think the T50RP’s have the most bass.

I’m looking for suggestions, I want a headphone that reminds me of the days of having 2x 12" subs in civic. Super bass with excellent sub bass. But also clean. lol I want it all!!!
I was leaning towards the DT770’s. Haven’t heard them.

Ill be attending CanJam SoCAL (fingers crossed) and plan on trying any that this community recommends.

Price, under a grand? Unless 95% of you all recommend the same thing and there under 1500 lol

My vote for bass would go to the 177x. What’s your amp situation?

Lyr 3 amp with modius dac

Campfire Cascade’s

3 Likes

Im blind. Thank you lol. Glossed over it assuming that was headphone list lol.

Might look for a burson soloist 3x for driving authority and the opamps that come in them are v shaped and pretty bassy. Used ones go for under $1000.

1 Like

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 perhaps maybe the GM edition if you want a bit less bass bloom. Keep in mind they are a darker headphone so it might not mesh well considering you have a Grado and Sundara.

Campfire Audio Cascade bass is probably the thickest out of the 3 going from memory decay is also a bit slower overall and bleeds into the mids.

Beyer DT 177X probably a solid middle ground between the 2. Not as much bass but overall solid signature

I second the Cascades. Hmmmm… good bass. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thanks a everyone. Will keep these in mind

the Russian GH50’s are interesting, as the cascades. I’m keeping my eyes open for both. thanks all!

I’ve heard good things about the AudioQuest Nighthawk as a fun bass headphone, and I think someone was selling them in the buy/sell thread recently.

They have decent bass. I would not call them bass headphones though.They just have a darker sound signature with a relaxed treble

Happy hunting!

yup this is something im excited for. I have had some fun with my current set up grados and TY50RP’s, but the wife loves bass. so… what better way to find a headphone for her :slight_smile:

I don’t have the T50’s but do own the T60’s and can say pad rolling really helped bring out more bass in them. I can’t exactly remember what had been said when comparing the bass of the 50’s and 60’s, but can say the ZMF oval suede pads turned the 60’s into some decent bass cannons (and I really enjoy my bass). If $1000 is your budget though I think there are some higher tier Fostex models that may fit the bill some could point you in the direction.

Have you tried pad rolling in the T50’s?

Edit: meant higher tier Fostex not Denon

1 Like

I’ve not heard Cascades but everyone who has considers them bass monsters. My other suggestion would be something with Fostex biodynamic drivers. The E-Mu Teak is a good option, and Drop just re-released the Fostex TH-X00 line, or at least one member of it. You can go even further by taking that Fostex chassis and putting Lawton chambers on them. I did that to my TH-X00 awhile ago and used Type IV chambers, and OMG the bass! Powerful, full, punchy, so much rumble. That will run you up to close to $1K, though. Enjoy the journey!

1 Like

What were your 12’s? :grinning:

Thanks everyone, opened my eyes to some new ideas and optional pathways I was unaware of.

Gonna try pad rolling the T50’s as well

2 Likes