Beginner looking for his first pair

Hi :slightly_smiling_face:,

So maybe you all need a little context, these are some of my favorite songs, I’d like to enjoy them to their fullest.
Like that violin makes me want to cry…
The wub-wub soooooo good.
I can’t sit still with this one

SO… I’ve looked over the reddit Headphone list.
[Gaming] Erm… a little yes, but I’m a filthy casual and not the main point of the purchase.
[Closed/Open] Bothering my neighbors is NOT an issue, I just want the best experiance.
[Base] Yes please!
[Hard] I’m super open to learning about DAC and AMPs etc, I can see this becoming a full on hobby so YES
[Portable] Not necessary
[Other] I’d like an over ear can, that’s suited for really long use 4-5hours.

So that’s that… Mmmmh what else?
I’m in Sweden so there’s the added issue of that.
Budget all inclusive, (cans + amps etc) $550 - $600

What I’ve done so far…
I was looking @ Monolith M1060, but Zeos’ comment on build quality worried me.
The Beyer-Dynamic DT770 looked great, but again the worrying comment of ‘1991 build and plastics’.
Also here I defs need an amp and I’ve not even started that rabbit hole.

If you have other suggestions, or feedback on the above. Tips, advice, anything. I’m all ears :smiley:

If you want a warmer sound that would most likely suit your needs, the hd58x and fiio k5 pro would be a great setup

Something that recently released thats supposedly really really good especially in the bass region would be the audeze lcd 1, and you could also get something like the fiio k5 pro to power it and have a great experience. This is a more premium option though

If you want a more neutral and slightly bright sound with a wide soundstage the dt880 600ohm is pretty great too

If you wanted a quick sounding headphone with interesting bass the hifiman he4xx is a good pick too

If you wanted a dac and amp stack for future upgradability, you could get something like the monolith liquid spark or jds labs atom and a topping d10 or smsl m100

Could go Foster T50RP mods like the Modhouse Argon Mk III if you don’t mind a wait and spending a bit on the high side for an AMP and DAC. Usually not a beginner headphone but these have bass and fun.

TBH I would focus the budget on the headphones, as they will make the bigger difference imo.

Also while argon’s are good, I don’t think I would recommend them unless you want to get a beefy amp and already know what you like

1 Like

Thanx for the info <3

I’ve not really understood or experienced this yet, so you’ll need to explain like i’m 5.
Upgradability sounds like a good idea, I’ve yet to research or watch anything there, but thanks for your options.

So a warmer sound will sound thick and rich, and fairly meaty with more relaxed treble so it typically isn’t harsh.

A neutral sound is something that doesn’t really place emphasis on a certain frequency and almost tells it as it is per se

Something bright has emphasized treble

Not the best at explaining it lol

That actually said alot, I think warm is something I’d enjoy, i think I should try that first.
Has Zeos mentioned anything regarding the audeze lcd 1?

I think something like the hd 660 or hd 58x would suite your tastes quite nicely. or a dt 880.

Not yet, but I think metal has a review out along with other people

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/audeze-lcd-1-new-portable-audeze/5811

The dt880 600 ohm was one of my first headphones and its still what i use the most. The slightly bright signature at least to me is very pleasing with a ton of detail. Not to mention the comfort far surpasses anything else i have in my collection. Bass is very present but maybe not head rattling. Imo, you cant go wrong with that option. Just have a decent amp (fiio k5 pro/ jds atom will do) that can drive them.

Also great options as long as you don’t mind that slightly brighter sound and wide soundstage. Also I agree they are pretty comfortable, I would say about equal or slightly more comfortable then the hd58x

I’m leaning towards an dt880 + fiio k5 pro.
I’ve not been able to find the hd58x locally, so unless there’s clear feedback on you need to get the hd58x over the dt880, then I’ll probably end there.

Just curious what’s the difference between 250ohm and 600ohm.
I see that most of the beyerdynamic is 250, so why 600?

So the 600 ohm is harder to drive but imo more detailed and also a more even frequency response. If you can try for the 600 ohm. You should have no problem driving them with a k5 pro

The hd58x is a massdrop exclusive, and vs the 880 it comes down to preference for what sound signature you end up preferring

Ive owned both the 58x and dt880 and personally enjoyed the 880 more. It all depends on your preference. 58x is a much more in your head sound, however, thats not to say that the 880 sounds super wide. Imaging and soundstage is better on 880 tho.
As for what the difference in ohms. Its the impedance or resistance. The higher the impedance, usually means less distortion and background hiss, but you need a more powerful amp to drive.

I personally think the soundstage is better but imo the 58x is better for imaging

Either way they’re both great at imaging :slight_smile:

Yeah lol, I don’t think you can go wrong with either

You guys are great, i feel relieved that I have an answer to my search.
dt880 and fiio k5 pro.

I’ll sleep on it, and buy tomorrow unless nothings changed

Yeah, do some more research and make sure the headphone would work for you