Best closed-back for under $200 these days?

NAD HP-50. they are WONDERFUL!!!

I think Zeos mostly likes things that are different not necessarily flawed everyone has different ears and use cases

1 Like

Agree

Agreed he even says that regularly

Wow. So all day Iā€™ve been listening to the DT770 and thinking, ā€œthis is good but fatiguing.ā€ Then I started AB-ing with the HD660s, and holy crap. I guess itā€™s the timbre, which is natural on the Senns but grating on the DT770. Oh, well.

Iā€™ll check them out.

Thatā€™s the Beyer ā€œsparkā€ that they are known for - though the newer ones dont have that problem as much( i have the 700 Pro X, overall great)

1 Like

Thatā€™s one reason I got rid of my DT880s, which had many great qualities otherwise.

I might just get my friend IEMs. For $100 i can get her Er2xr or Moondrop Starfields.

Maybe wait for the upcoming Aria Snow edition.

Price seems to be 60 usd.

While i love the Starfields, the paint job is super delicate so waiting for the Aria might be a good idea - and you can also grab a AKG 361 and still be under 200$. that way you cover both bases

the NAD!!!

Looks like my next pair of iems. Iā€™m really in need for something well tuned

dang those look neat wonder if theyā€™re finally dropping prices of their others (starfield/Aria)

Not likely seeing how it went previously.

Not even joking, I think itā€™s the Creative aurvana live, had the k371 for a while and after a pad swap the cal! are just better and more comfy, only problem is they donā€™t isolate as well but nothing without anc does anyway, Iā€™m intrigued by the new rodes tho

edit: also had the 770, those do feel higher end and more detailed but the frequency is wonky af

Iā€™m hearing some good feedback on the new Final UX3000. Its a wireless set however.

This is kinda a market area Iā€™ve been frequenting recently. I bought the NTH-100, K361, K371, and borrowed the DT770 from my brother for a bit of a group test. Anyone want a comparison on anything, hit me up.

The NTH-100 stand out for their comfort and build quality and a luxuriously smooth warm sound, though they arenā€™t the most detailed (sound is possibly a tad muffled or veiled at times?). The DT770 has the build quality but the design isnā€™t as sleek and I never liked the sound. Poor recessed midrange, harsh treble. As a side note Iā€™m guessing thatā€™ll be why you found the 770s fatiguing.

For your friend Iā€™d say the K361 or K371 depending on budget. Both sound great, light, easy to drive. Soundwise the best of the bunch is the K371 to my ears and probably more suited to Classical (I assume the warm Rodes arenā€™t ideal, though Iā€™m not a classical listener). Slightly less on the comfort and build compared to the Rodes. Superb pick all round.

1 Like

The Rodes are a great headphone, but do have a few tuning issues soundwise (IMO a veiled sound as mentioned). They are my daily pick of the bunch though for work etc. just due to the sheer luxurious comfort and build quality.

If youā€™re not an audiophile youā€™d be hard pressed to notice the sound issues compared to anything else in the price range though. Iā€™d say for most people theyā€™ll be fantastic.

In terms of timbre, I personally found the Rodes to be the most natural sounding. The K371/K361 made voices sound odd to my ears.

1 Like

I believe Zeos says the HE-R7DX are competitors to the Rodes as well, no? he commented on those two and a third model, which I forget the name of, but may have been a Sigva?

he did a video on R7DX vs Rhode vs Robin

1 Like

His review of the Rode NTH-100 if Iā€™m not mistaken also referred to the Sivga SV021, a Blon closed back and the R7DX.

When he says competitors, he means in the same price bracket. Theyā€™re all in the same closed-back-under-$150 category. His rough comments on the R7DX were that it has an unusually wide soundstage. I forget his take on the other two, but from my research it seems the Sivga has quite a scooped out midrange (very V-shaped) so Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d enjoy it.

Zeos did not consider the Blon or Sivga or R7DX to be of the same calibre as the Rode. Iā€™ve only tried the Rode out of the four so cannot comment, but from my research Iā€™d be inclined to agree.

1 Like