Best Closed back headphone under 1000$

Just under $1000 open box

1 Like

I strongly suggest the Mod House Audio Argon T60RP or the Argon MK3. Both are well under 1k and both are amazing headphones to own. I have both of them, and they are both very good, but for different things.

Zeos has a decent review available which may help you decide.

In regards to the Argon T60RP - it is still one of Zeos favorite headphones. He still uses them regularly at his desk and for review comparisons, and in his recent walkthrough where he talked about all his headphones, the Argon T60RP still was one of his favorites. They really are special.

I would personally match them up against anything under 1,000 dollars, and I think they win every time. I also believe they could fairly be compared to closed-back headphones that are 2,000-3,000 dollars and still be in the running.

The downside is, you can’t just buy them and have them delivered quickly, these are custom jobs and it will take several weeks for them to be sent (possibly up to months depending on how long the queue is ahead of you. However, I think they are well worth the wait.

Here is a link to buy the Argon Mk3’s Argon Mk3 — Mod House Audio
(you want the ZMF Lambskin Pads and the Deerskin strap with this one)

and here is a link to the Argon T60RP T60 Argons — Mod House Audio
(You want the Suede pads with this one and the Deerskin strap)

Regarding amps, I just bought the Topping A90 Discrete. 599$, but I needed an upgrade for my old amp, and that seemed like a good one.

Here is a review for that amp…

I ended buying an open box pair for $990.00. My new king of closed backs! LSA HP-2’s and Elegia’s are gone. T60 Argons and HiFiman HE-R9’s are up for sale.

The Radiance are the best closed backs I have ever owned, or heard.

3 Likes

I’m glad you found a good set you like! =) a couple great things about the Focal Radiance, they are quite good at isolating sound without any sort of active noise cancellation. They are also very comfortable cans, and very easy to drive. Which means you can run them off almost anything. This is one thing that is different about Argon, for them to become truly exceptional, you need all the power.

Congratulations on your new headphones!

1 Like