Best DAC to buy under $2500?

Well that’s good that I wasn’t going nuts then lol

I know, most DACs are just plug and play, some options and ends there, I think that anyway the RME is not so difficult to set as many people think, in the end if you don’t mind much, once set, you can leave it as it was originally, but if tomorrow you want to change something or adapt the audio signature of a headphone to your liking etc… with the RME you can do it, with other DACs you simply can’t, and maybe this is the strong point of that DAC, flexibility, besides the fact that it’s still a great sounding DAC. I’m getting a lot of information these days, apparently it also has an extremely accurate and well done manual from which you can learn all the functions of the DAC itself. I’m also considering the Gumby anyway.

1 Like

Guess this will be a continuation to my R2R mind blownage by the Airist… I literally been playing all day with m100, D30, SMSL SU-8, Gungnir AKM 4399 vs bit-perfect IFI iDSD Black Label and Airist…

Something is magical with R2R/multibit for plug and play… it just sounds so authentic… sending my gungnir in for multibit upgrade is next project… 10,000 days album wings for marie there’s a swirling soft audible fan like noise that’s extremely more pronounced with life along with lots of the instruments on the R2R/multibit… astonishing.

Next test… attach all to the rupert neve amp and give it another whirl…

@AtticSlob ould you consider your Mjolnir worth it? Thinking about picking one up used… (sry for the OT)

Not worth it for 900+ dollars IMO if I could go back… even after rolling good tubes in it, I’d end up… getting the cavalli if I had to pick a “hybrid”… I bet that TA-20 is prob decent… no reason to drop 900+ on a less refined piece…

Since I have both… would rather have bought the Platinum… but in all seriousness I don’t care for hybrids after getting a darkvoice… its either pure tube or solid state for me, one con to the darkvoice is it’s only good with high impedance headphones IME… being 150+ ohms… anything 600+ in the sennheiser line and most of the beyerdynamics.

The reason to get a hybrid is it pair’s well with everything across the board… can use planar’s and everything you can’t use on the darkvoice… so hybrid has a place… but the darkvoice is a more enjoyable experience w/ good tubes and you have a pair of HD6xx,HD600,HD650,HD660s.

If your interested in SE only… Lyr 3 would be my choice… just the amp with a sophia electrics tube… would prob be absolutely de-li-cious.