Best 'fun' headphones to upgrade from M50x w/ No Amp/Dac?

The topping d10+ atom is a great stack that would server most people well if it fits in their budget

I also agree that he should try a dac amp first to see if it furthers the elex for him before making another purchase

Actually what if you went with something even less traditional and picked up a koss esp95x (on sale right now) if you wanted to experience a good electrostatic headphone? It would be on the more light and airy side of things, but be very quick sounding with great imaging (just something different, but for what you like and listen to the xx might be more appealing)

Possibly with the Koss’s, most likely the XX’s tho. And yeah I want to obviously pair my Elex with a good AMP/DAC combo first. So the Fiio K5 set or the JDS Atom/Topping D10?

I would personally say if you have the extra budget, the topping d10 and jds atom is an upgrade over the k5 pro imo, and it is more easily upgradable down the line

@M0N what about the Modhouse Argon Mk3 with a Schiit Asgard 3? Is that the amp you recommended for them? The Argon are supposed to be really fun. Or maybe for an Amp/Dac combo, the XD-05 plus?

Yeah, that would be a great setup if you wanted to get an argon. Although I personally don’t think I would recommend it here

1 Like

Gotcha.
What about the XD-05 plus for a combo?

And the Monolith THX portable is a unique one too.

I was mainly saying I wouldn’t recommend the argons here. If it was in the budget though an asgard 3 or xd-05 plus would be pretty great

1 Like

Oh okay. I gotcha.
20 chars.