Best USB DAC/AMP

They are more portable for sure but they output 1/4 of a hip dac power. But still impressed to find out they sounded better than hip dac.
Currently looking for a clean dac/amp to handle my hd560s around 150$.
Do these have a bass boost on them ? I’d like to boost the bass on hd560s when I am just having fun.
And size no factor which one would you recommend for pure sound quality ?

And the list is not in any specific order so just because audioquest stuff are at top of the list doesn’t mean they sound better than other things on the list .

I prefer the sound quality of the S1 to the Hip Dac. It doesn’t have a bass boost, but it does have a variety of EQ presets. I think for headphones that don’t need a ton of power (I’m pairing them with the Focal Elegia and the AQ Nighthawk) I would personally choose the S1 over the Hip Dac based on sound quality alone. I am running them both out of the balanced output.

1 Like

Absolutely. However first you have to know this device is as sensitive as an egg. The looks are deceiving with nice alu case. Thats why there is some charm in devices which originate from Ukraine or Russia - basically you can fix them if needed with a screwdriver, hammer and bit of duct tape. “Gniotsa nie lamiotsa”.

Ummm… and ?
Sensitive in sense of interference or break easy? If it just sit’s in table with added cable, how it would break? Also a egg is pretty hard to break, in one way. It can withstand nearly person’s entire strength as you try to squeeze it.

I though audioquest DF are made in USA at least the current ones.
Any links to russia made ones?

OK, got it, my English on Monday morning no good. Need more coffee.

I meant, sensitive on build side.
It was working properly plugged to my laptop - and I did not fiddle with it too much. Meaning, laptop used like stationary comp, Red plugged in, Grados plugged on other end.
Then the time come that I had to move to other comp - plugged Red to iMac and it started to misbehave. Not recognized by system, just blinking red (coincidence?). I bet it is about soldering quality.
With no warranty I`ve managed to resurrect it, but I keep it on very light HP and indeed on extension cable.

As for Ukrainian / Russian made stuff, I was thinking about my big set up… SET on 845 tubes.

2 Likes