đź”· Beyerdynamic T5p

This is the official thread for the Beyerdynamic T5p. This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Over Ear
  • Amp needed
  • Closed Back

:red_circle: HifiGuides Amazon link

Reviews…

[Z Reviews]

[HitsTownUSA]

I have the T5p.2’s and love them. They are the cleanest, clearest headphones that I own.
However that can also get a little boring. I recently discovered the little miracle called the Schiit Loki. Using the T5p.2’s, I add some bass and some midrange and they are perfect. To me the Meze 99 Classic’s are more “fun”, but these sound way more accurate. Nice to have both, depending on your mood and the type of music you are listening to.

They are super expensive, at least in Canada. I bought mine, used, on Canuck Audio Mart and paid about half price.

Great sound, improves with a nice DAC and amp, pretty good isolation and IMO needs to be EQ’d. For the right price, it’s a great addition to the collection.

Shane D

I couldn’t agree more. I have them also and I found them new $200 under MSRP, so that made the decision easy. I use them primarily with my Monolith amp and the two together deliver a clean and very detailed sound.
They have a low impedence, so easy to use on the go as well and overall I am very satisfied with this purchase. They are my first Beyerdynamic headphone but not the last.

I got a Forza Audio cable for them and I really like the way they fit together.

Cool stand! To me you would be missing something if they were your only headphones. However, not having them would be a miss too.

Shane D

PS: My endgame would be two very different sounding closed backs and two very different sounding open backs.

Sounds nice! (And thx, but I just ordered a new stand :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

My current wishlist looks like this:
Sennheiser 660S
Beyerdynamic BT 1990 Pro
Sennheiser PCX 550 II (BT and ANC - they are out oct. 1)

My far-away-due-to-budget-wishlist:
Klipsch HP-3 in Oak
Focal Clear
Sony MDR-Z1R

For me it is:

1. Grado GH2 (have it)
  2. Focal Elex
  3. Beyer T5p.2 (have it)
  4. CFA Cascade

The DAP/DAC/Amp situation is coming along nicely and will be probably be finished in eight weeks.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nice!
The monolith and my Fiio M11 are my endgames and when the XDUOO XD-05 Plus is purchased I just need the headphones. I saw you have the Shrue 1540 and I was comtemplating those, but Z really disliked them, so I am on the fence right now.
What do you think about them?

I bought them used a few weeks ago. I do like the look and sound of them. I think that they scale up better than my Meze 99 Classic’s. I only have a few, 10 maybe, hours on them.
My favourite fun, somewhat affordable closed backs are the 99’s.

I didn’t go looking for the 1540’s, but came across an ad in Kijiji (Canada’s version of Craigs List). The price was good and I had heard a lot about them. With six pairs of headphones, they haven’t been getting much time. I just decided the HE4XX’s are leaving so I will use them again soon.

Shane D

1 Like

I had a pair of these but sold them.

They were accurate and revealing and with heaps of bass available. Really excellent sound stage too. The build quality was great, although they use a lot of plastic for such an expensive headphone and the styling is a bit homespun I found the actual build quality was first class. Really very comfortable too, big proper around the ear cups and the clamping force was good.

The reason I sold them was a certain screechiness in the treble. I adjusted and lived with it until I bought some Etymotic ER4 IEMs at which point it just hit me. Once I noticed it I found it harder to unnotice for some weird reason. Apart from that they were fantastic with many positives.

1st gen or 2nd gen? I feel a little bit of that in my gen 2’s. For long sessions I have to EQ or use my LCX amp.

Mine were gen 2, with removable cables.

Same ones I have.

I wouldn’t be too negative about them as they had many terrific qualities and ultimately tuning is about preference. If the T5P II tuning works for people then it is a superb product I think.

I still have mine.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m currently selling my T5P 2nd Gen. If anybody is interested, please DM me.

Sold as of 3/31/2020

1 Like

You and I are getting eerily similar… :astonished:

Mine will be leaving at some point. I would love to trade them towards something cool. Maybe Cascades or LCD2 C’s?
The day after I got my Elex’s they were done.

1 Like

I have the LCD-2C and I really enjoy them. I want to buy amongst my considerations either a Focal Clear, Elex, ZMF Aeolus, Auteur to find a more neutral open back that complements my more fun sounding LCD-2C.

The t5p I got at a steal of a price and they are pretty good, especially for gaming, but my Atticus and Elegia both are my favorite closed backs so the t5p don’t get much use.

The Cascades are awesome. Probably one of the best audiophile V shaped sound presentations that I’ve heard. Comfortable and awesome for portable usage.

The LCD-2C are awesome, especially if you buy at a good price. I got my LCD-2C for $475 on ebay. The treble is very warm/dark but it is presented in an enjoyable way. What always surprises me with the LCD-2C is that even though the treble is warm, you still get really good detail…typically it is a trade off between the two.

3 Likes

When you say V shaped, are the vocals recessed?

Yes, but not enough to sound bad…they just are pushed back a bit.

If vocals are a priority for you, I dont think the Cascade is a good fit.

The LCD-2C seems to be a better buy for you.

1 Like

That would be disappointing. Food for thought.

1 Like