Cal's Corner Store - I like Bass

Ohhh I see I thought it was the detail rating sections. I’d tell you but idk either LOL

1 Like

This was long overdue, brother. I love it :sunglasses:

2 Likes

7Hz Legato Review

Sound Profile
Bass boosted warm sound signature with decent treble extension

Summary

The 7Hz Legato gives me festival show in the summer vibes. It’s not going to be for people who put big emphasis on detail retrieval, stage size and and imaging but it is going to be a party in your ears.

Is it Worth it?

In my opinion these are totality worth the price and probably more. However, worth the price != a good value to me. While I think its worth the price for what you get (I like this cable more than the Moonlight cable) It’s a very specific tuning and thus I wouldn’t recommend this set if its going to be the only set you own (unless your library is primarily hip hop and rap) when you can get an IEM that plays more genres better on average for cheaper.

Sound Details

Treble

There is a lack of air and sparkle in the replay which results in a pretty intimate space. Coupled with the excessive bass, you can get a bit of a claustrophobic experience on some songs. I don’t mind the intimacy, especially because after getting the Serratus I realized all IEMs that I have tried aren’t all that much more open.

Midrange

Vocals and instruments are pretty accurate overall but are colored a bit warmly. Luckily that warmth doesn’t come at the expense of good extension so while voices sound full and warm they avoid coming off muted which I felt was the case for the Penon Serial and ultimately why I sold that set. Unfortunately vocals are a bit too recessed for my taste as I prefer a slightly forward vocal experience but overall not offensive or poorly done. For those who listening to vocalists who sing mainly in the upper registers you will be missing a bit of completeness unfortunately.

Mid bass

Mid bass has great texture, snappy and thumpy bass hits feel distinct and are palpable. They have really good speed and don’t linger longer than they should. There is definitely nothing soft about the mid bass.

Sub bass

Sub bass has over the top rumble and boom that can sometimes wash out the rest of the replay, especially on drones. However the speed and texture of the bass is great so for songs that have quicker sub bass drops you don’t get it messing with the rest of the song. For the quantity that is present I feel like the sub bass is surprisingly tight.

Genres

Below are my rankings for how this set plays each genre. These are based on my general enjoyment of the replay for songs in each set and is therefore very subjective.

Hip Hop - 9/10
Rap - 9/10
Latin- 8/10
Dance/EDM - 7/10
Pop - 7/10
R&B - 7/10
Country - 4/10

8 Likes

Symphonium Meteor Review

Sound Profile
Bass boosted mini W

Overview

I will say I really enjoyed the Meteor, probably more-so than the Mest MKII. It leans pretty close to my preference while also giving a very unique experience. I definitely think it’s worth the money. I will say if you are looking for something closer to a natural presentation this probably won’t be your cup of tea.

Sound Details

Treble

The meteor has pretty crazy extension that doesn’t get peaky or shrill at any point. It also avoids the fraying effect that I feel the Mest had while having similar air. While treble is obviously well extended it doesn’t come off as sparkly or shimmery to me which is nice and keeps vocals sounding natural. Detail retrieval is good for the price range but nothing particularly mind blowing to me.

Midrange

Guitars and other string instruments have good body and detail. This is one of the best replays of guitars that I have heard in a while, it sounds correct but then takes it to another level and gives a very immersive. You can feel the reverb yet it doesn’t mask the delicacy of the higher frequencies. Things get interesting in the vocals though, vocals come off slightly recessed and ethereal, benefitting from the save immersive qualities that the instruments show. They definitely don’t sound natural to me but I don’t hate it!

Mid bass

So this list he first time I have a heard an all BA IEM and I was very interested in this set because of the elevated BA bass and I have to say its definitely different but I appreciate it. Mid bass is extremely tight and precise. There is no bleeding and boominess but you definitely still get the tactality and can feel the mid bass kick drums and slaps. Having said that I definitely prefer DD bass.

Sub bass

Sub bass hits hit well but can come off soft, maybe that is the BA limitation. Even with the softness the bass hits are distinct, clean and quick, never lingering or loose. It’s not basshead bass but that wasn’t expected anyway. I think the sub bass (and mid bass) is actually very nicely balanced with the rest of the FR and it never overpowers it for my library. For an all-arounder I could see getting along with this however I think it would take it up a notch if they had a DD here for the lower freqs.

Genres

Below are my rankings for how this set plays each genre. These are based on my general enjoyment of the replay for some songs that fall in each category and is therefore very subjective and may not represent the category as a whole. If you have any questions as to what songs I listened to for each category feel free to ask!

Pop - 8/10
Rap - 7/10
Hip Hop - 6/10
R&B - 7/10
Latin - 8/10
House/EDM - 7/10
Country - 8/10

9 Likes

Softears RSV Review

Sound Profile
like really good… maybe a warm neutral? It definitely has elevated bass and forward vocals but with full mids

Overview

Well… so I really really really like this set! For my preference it beats out the Meteor and Mest MKII easily. While I love my bass, I need good vocals or else the whole sound falls flat. I could honestly see this set knocking out the IE600 from the top spot for me. This will be getting A/B’d with the IE600 later this week for sure. As for the price, I don’t think I could pull the trigger on this for new price. While it’s really good it doesn’t do anything super magical (besides being overall really good) to put it at over $600 for me. I could see grabbing this for under $600 though.

Sound Details

Treble

The RSV is not a particularly airy IEM. There is a good amount of detail but it’s definitely not in the upper treble. Having said that I don’t think it’s missing anything in how it replays vocals and instruments alike. It doesn’t have the most spacious soundstage although it’s not particularly tight either. The RSV strikes a good balance where it doesn’t over offer and under deliver when it comes to the treble.

Midrange

IMO this is the sets bread and butter! Vocals are like being right there in front of the singer. They are clear and accurate and forward and beautifully detailed and a bunch of other positive adjectives that I don’t have time to write. Instruments come through well articulated with good detail and warmth. There is nothing sterile about the replay here. Instruments and vocals are well separated while still giving an intimate feeling like you are at a small venue.

Mid bass

So the bass really tricked me on the RSV. After coming from the Meteor’s very tight and clean bass (mid and sub) I honestly thought I was listening to a DD in the RSV until I looked it up. Mid bass has all the goodies. It’s Thumpy, snappy and tactile which I love. It also has some things that I usually attribute to DD bass which is that it’s a little loose and lingers a little longer than the bass on the Meteor does. The quantity in the RSV is about right given the looseness as I would be worried any more bass would start to muddy up what’s there. Having said that I honestly wouldn’t want much more mid bass than what it presents anyway. While its not the most detailed I really appreciate how it works with the rest of the replay.

Sub bass

I’ll just say it. I want more sub bass. This IEM definitely sounds more mid bass focused than sub which is cool because the mid bass is good however for my library I think it could use a couple of dbs in the sub 40hz region to just get some more rumble.

Genres

Below are my rankings for how this set plays each genre. These are based on my general enjoyment of the replay for some songs that fall in each category and is therefore very subjective and may not represent the category as a whole. If you have any questions as to what songs I listened to for each category feel free to ask!

Pop - 8/10
Rap - 7/10
Hip Hop - 7/10
R&B - 8/10
Latin - 8/10
House/EDM - 6/10
Country - 8/10

9 Likes

Thieaudio Monarch MKI Review

Sound Profile
Bass bumped bright neutral or V, I can’t tell

Overview

Originally I was really excited about the Monarch but it quickly faded as I started getting to genres where it just wasn’t up to the task. The biggest issue with this set for me is that mid bass tuck. It’s extremely noticeable and causes two issues for me; the first is that it thins out notes a little too much and staccatos become too sharp and in your face, especially when you crank the volume. The second is the cut is too deep into the bass frequencies, leaving not much low end to support the elevated upper mids and treble. Vocal clarity is very good and technicalities are good for the price but overall it’s a pass for me and my library.

Sound Details

Treble

Monarch is more focused on the upper range and it really shines up here. It’s got a great amount of air without feeling overdone like on the Mest MKII. Details come through well even at lower volumes. The space feels pretty open and expansive and imaging is very good. Even with the extended treble the upper harmonics of percussions such as cymbals sound natural, however staccatos do shoot you in the ear at times.

Midrange

String and wind instruments and vocals lack some body but otherwise sound clean and natural. They have great extension without sounding artificially airy or frayed. They also occupy a good space in that they are not too forward or too recessed. Percussion instruments do sound particularly thin and lack the bunch from the mid bass that is needed to make them sound natural and prominent.

Mid bass

Audible but lacking body. You have to really crank the volume to get much mid bass however the treble becomes too unbearable before the mid bass can really show up. When it does come through its a clean and tight bass.

Sub bass

It does have a sub bass bump which gives a bit of support in the low end to not back the whole replay sound shrill however for my library it just isn’t enough. Even though its bass boosted I think it doesn’t go far enough to balance the rest of the FR out.

Genres

Pop - 8/10
Rap - 6/10
Hip Hop - 5/10
R&B - 7/10
Latin - 6/10
House/EDM - 7/10
Country - 8/10

8 Likes

TinHiFi P1 Max “Panda” Review

Sound Profile
warm neutral

Overview

Totally worth it 1000x! It’s so smooth and warm yet clear and articulate. The vocals remind me of the IE600 except slightly warmer and with less shimmer and detail. It’s definitely mid bass which makes it a good compliment to the IE600 as well. It’s like a slightly warmer and smoother IE600 with a mid bass emphasis instead of a sub bass emphasis. This is pretty much an instant buy at under $100 and even at full price they are worth it.

Sound Details

Treble

You don’t reach for the panda if you are looking for treble. The name of the game is smooth here and with that comes a narrow stage, a more intimate presentation and less air overall. Although it leads warmer it still manages to stay surprisingly clear and resolving.

Midrange

As I mentioned in the overview, the mids remind me a lot of the IE600 which I love. The only vocals I prefer over the P1 Max and the IE600 would be the RSV. They are actually a good in between. The present like the IE600 but are warmer like the RSV (although not as warm). As for instruments they are definitely colored a tad by the overall warmth but they don’t sound off or necessarily incorrect. More just that they are a bit more mellow, with less bite.

Mid bass

Mid bass has all types of texture. It hits with good physicality and decent speed which makes for a fun time with certain tracks. The nice thing about the mid bass is that it only comes when it’s called.

Sub bass

Sub bass is not elevated over the mid bass which is my preference but in this case I don’t feel like I am missing anything. I think the Lower sub bass quantity in this case works because of the warmth and smoothness of the rest of the signature. I will say I do miss the sub bass for things like kick drums as I feel the hits come off a bit too soft.

Genres

Pop - 8/10
Rap - 7/10
Hip Hop - 7/10
R&B - 8/10
Latin - 7/10
House/EDM - 6/10
Country - 7/10

10 Likes

Damn man I got some catching up to do. You just threw down mad content. Love to see you having your own thread now. Briefly skimmed everything, until I get more time to read in depth, and I’m here with you to say. I agree to every point you made on the Legato.

Aside from that if anyone here is a much a reggae head as I am, Meteor is a set that gets a 10/10 out of every set I’ve heard. Throwing this in as plug to my favorite set and seeing reggae isn’t one of your genres. Until another set comes along and knocks it down it’ll reign supreme as my top reggae choice. No set I have gives that reggae rhythm section the justice Meteor does.

4 Likes

Thanks! Most of it was copying posts from the IEM thread but it’s nice having everything in one spot.

I can definitely see that. The texture of the bass seems like a good fit for reggae. You also bring up a good point which is there are tons of genres that I didn’t list since they either aren’t in my library or make up a very small amount. For all I know the ie600 can be 9/10 for metal and a 3/10 for orchestral.

4 Likes

I was quite surprised to see HBB not list the Meteor as the better reggae set in his newer video. I’ve never heard the Maestro SE but, from my take on the Mini it just had a tad to much subbass emphasis for reggae. The Meteors slight subbass dip and elevated midbass really allows the bassist and riddum they bring to the song to be forward, punchy and textured. While the BA bass for me felt the most accurate to the mellow mood of reggae to shine. Bass did feel deeper on the Mini, though contrary to what a lot may say, it felt to deep and less textured. It had a sound I’d more relate to EDM amd HipHop. No other set gets my skankin’ shoes hotter. I get it though we all have our preferences.

4 Likes

I just saw that video and it was cool to see the Meteor on that list! I would love to try the Gran Maestro at some point. Also the fact that that got bumped above the Storm is very interesting…

2 Likes

:+1:

(pst you might want to put links to your reviews here (first post or 2) so it is easier to find.)

2 Likes

I didn’t get the chance to play around with the GM too much but I do remember them being ridiculously balanced in the setting I heard them in at CanJam. I’d be so down to play around with all the different settings it’s capable of. Seems like a beast of a set.

2 Likes

Good call! Ill add that to my second post

2 Likes

Yes. But not for old or classic records! Otherwise, for metal they are 9.5/10. Having owned several mid-centric kits, I think the IE600 is better for metal than them (and technically). Some may think that guitars lack bite, but this is not the case. They have a good bite but aren’t in your face so it’s not tiring listening.
They are hard to recommend because people listening to metal want more emphasis in the middle! :wink: :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

LETSHUOER EJ07M (Resin) Review - Str8 Shooter

Sound Profile
Neutral with a bass boost. The bass boost inches into mid bass but mainly stays in the sub region while the rest of the FR stays relatively neutral with no noticeable peaks or elevations elsewhere. This set leans towards the musicality over a clinical tonality like the IE600 would.

Overview

It’s starting to seem par for the course but I would not pay full price for this IEM. With the deals that you can find on AliX during various yearly sales you can snag an EJ07M for closer to $500 which isn’t unreasonable but then you got to add another almost $200 for reshelling on top of that, putting the best you can get this new at around $700. At that price there are few things it should do better. Specifically, there is a very slight haze around the edges of notes which can get distracting depending on the tips you use. Speaking of tips, this is one of the most tip dependent sets I have ever used. For most sets I find tips make very slight differences in the sound quality of the set, either changing the stage or boosting/reducing bass ever so slightly. With this set I have had tips that change the sound so much it sounds like a different IEM. This is a double edge sword because it was hard for me to find a tip that really clicked with me but it does give you a bunch of flexibility. Want a really clear and open stage, use Tri Clarions (bass gets tightened but reduced). Want something that brings the ruckus? Use some foams or Final Es. I found AET08s to be a good compromise albeit a compromise none-the-less. The tip I landed on though was the AliX TS400s (shoutout to @JAnonymous5150 for the rec!). They give me the openness of a wide bore tip and reduce the haze so it’s barely noticeable while giving me great isolation and bass. The only downside is that they are foam and thus will eventually wear out. Lastly, I need to talk about driver flex. I have really bad driver flex on this set. It’s a known thing with the EJ series but evening with knowing it was a thing I was still very bummed to experience it. Some tips do better than others and I never got any flex when using it (only putting them in) however foam tips don’t cause any driver flex so that’s a win I guess. So having said all that, what’s my overall opinion? These are a great all around set and I can enjoy my whole library with them (once I found the right tips). They will probably be my everyday set and I’ll leave the IE600 for critical listening and the Legato for when I just want to jam to rap/

Details

Treble

Treble is well extended without being boosted. I don’t feel there is any masking or dullness in the treble and it’s quite lively. I mentioned this above but there is a bit of hazing around the edges of notes in the upper registers. Tips can exacerbate or resolve the issue so roll accordingly. With the right tips the stage is very expansive and holographic. I used to not really understand that term until I heard this set. I will say if you are looking for a detail monster this is not for you though.

Midrange

Mid range stays clean thanks to the bass tuck although it’s not as clean as something like the IE600. There is a sense of reverb that colors vocals however I don’t notice it much on instruments. If you are looking for a super realistic “they are right in front of you” experience I would look elsewhere. On top of that there is a slight haze to the edge of notes that again is much more noticeable in vocals than instruments. These two things color the replay and add a good sense of musicality which I appreciate.
Vocals are forward and good weight to them without being warm and intimate. I found vocal replay to be very tip dependent and with narrow bore tips they had a tendency to become more hazy. Wide bore tips were a necessity to get the best vocal quality.

Instrument replay was less impacted by tip changes. Instruments sound natural with very good separation and space. The very wide stage helps with being able to pick out each instrument and notes have clearly defined edges. On “Southside of Heaven” by Ryan Bingham it’s hard not to notice how clean and on point the acoustic guitar is. There is a sense of pressure that is accurately conveyed on the lower notes that is lacking on a lot of other sets. You can hear what sounds like a cabasa faintly to the left and almost behind you but it’s so clear that I can actually picture the player playing it.

Mid bass

This is not a mid centric IEM and is definitely sub over mid so if you are a mid head and love mid bass I would move past this set. Having said that, I don’t feel like there is a void where the mid bass should be. There is good snap and kick from bass and electronic drums. It’s quick and well textured and honestly he whole bass section is really high quality. You will get a good face full of mid bass on songs that boost those frequencies. The quality is definitely there, it just won’t come out on most tracks in my library since my library is more sub bass focused.

Sub bass

Oh the sub bass! This is some of the best quality bass I have heard. Its goldilocks sub bass where it’s not too loose to the point of being flabby but not so fast and tight to the point that it feels like a punch instead of a rumble. There is really good texture and a wetness to it that is really addicting. As you may know I love my bass so I would prefer maybe 3-5db more of this goodness however for the rest of the FR the bass quantity is really well situated and doesn’t throw off the tonal balance. I will say quantity is hugely impacted by tips. Tri Clarions reduce the quantity substantially whereas FAudio Instrument and Final E tips give you a boost. The hard part is finding a tip that give you a boost in the bass while still being open for vocals.

Genres

Below are my rankings for how this set plays each genre. These are based on my general enjoyment of the replay for songs in each set and is therefore very subjective.

Pop - 8/10
R&B - 8/10
Latin - 8/10
Rap - 8/10
Hip Hop - 8/10
House/EDM - 8/10
Country - 8/10

12 Likes

Well said Cal!

My pick for best all-rounder at $500 for a reason :smirk:

5 Likes

Daaaaamn, 8s across the board - that is as solid as solid can be. Amazing write up, Cal, thanks for sharing brother :handshake:

3 Likes

Killed this set for me, same goes for Canon which I still find to be a very impressive set for slightly different tastes to mine.

3 Likes

Thanks! It’s a great set once I got the right tips on there. I would definitely score some genres lower depending on what tips on there.

I just remembered you had a resin EJ07M right? knowing your preferences it makes sense these didnt jive with you. I can get down on sets with more midbass but vocals def take a hit and 95% of my library is vocal focused.

2 Likes