Cal's Corner Store - I like Bass

@GooberBM some more words on the Starsea

4 Likes

Appreciate the impressions Cal, and I forgot to tell you the EW100 might still be modded. If it has the filters then it is, if not then it’s stock :+1: It’s my favourite $20 IEM with the filters.

And dam I really need to hear the Starseas again sheesh

2 Likes

I’m glad you gave Starsea a chance and enjoyed them. They are a fantastic IEM for $110, at this point, as long as you can manage the pressure build up.

Besides that legit dealbreaker, there are few deals that are better for the budget, for all-arounder IEMs than Starsea. I’m definitely looking forward to deeper thoughts.

I shouldn’t be so surprised that Kai passed the “do I want to hear more?” bar for you, but I kinda was LOL.

And then there’s :rose: :bird: (it’s a finch stand-in, thank you) :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

3 Likes

More thoughts are definitely on the way. It’s shockingly good. Today was my day dedicated to the 10th and I kept wanting to swap them for the starsea. I’ll have a write up on both but the starsea has been the star of the tour for me so far.

It’s unfortunately hamstrung by that pressure build up. I tried the TS400 foams which are the most transparent I have heard and while it alleviated the build up it ruined the sound, which is a first for me. The starsea shines with the FAudio instrument tips and rivals sets under $500 easy imo but that pressure makes it near impossible to listen to for more than an hour.

If they could figure out the pressure issue and remove the useless switches to bring the cost down even further they would have an easy winner

4 Likes

I find that I don’t get much pressure buildup when using Starsea as a desktop set. But they’re terrible on even the most basic of walks. So they’re very situational even for me. For most people, I can understand them being too fickle to use. Which will bring us to Dunu VULKAN…

1 Like

Penon 10th Anniversary

Sound Profile

unabashedly V shaped

Overview

The 10th is a very interesting set that has taken me some time to fully wrap my brain around. While most sets I have listened to fall into a certain category where I could say “this is like set X set but worse/better” the 10th is hard to put in a box. It’s V shaped, sure, but it’s not like many other V shaped IEMs I have heard in the past. The treble is extended and slightly elevated but not to the point of being bright or sibilant. The Bass is noticeably boosted but it’s boosted across the entire bass range as opposed to focusing on a sub over mid glide like most other V shaped sets. The thing that really tripped me out the first time I listened to is that how the replay adds a slight ethereal quality to tracks while also being energetic and very musical. It’s somehow a relaxing and fun listen at the same time which is probably what’s causing my brain to get confused on what the essence of this set is.

Having said that, the main question to ask is “how does it sound?” and in this regard I would say it sounds really good! Its not a set for purists who want as close to an authentic replay as possible or for someone who is dipping their toes into the higher prices sets as I think they will be unhappy with how niche and tip dependent this set is. On top of that technicalities are mediocre for its price point. This is a set for people who want to experience something new and refreshing, who have locked in their EDC and all rounder sets and are looking for something to mix it up. Bass is big, punchy and adds body to notes without being face melting and the upper mids are tuned to cut through all the bass and have clarity even through the most turbulent bass lines. The treble gives just enough extension and energy up top to make things sound lively without trying to steal the whole show. Whether this set is worth it will wholly depend on you. $500 is a lot of money for most people (even if it doesn’t seem like it in our hobby) and in my opinion you can find better all around sets for much cheaper (Looking at you Starsea). However, if you are an enthusiast who has a modest collection and is looking to add a unique set it would be hard to pass this one up.

Details

Note: I found the Tri Clarion tips to work best for this set which really tightens up the bass and adds a bit of air and treble so my take is going to be skewed a bit compared to using other, less impactful tips.

Technicalities

Technicalities is nothing to write home about on this set. Stage is relatively average for an IEM however I would expect more for the price. The stage is pretty wide however there is a lack of depth and the soundstage is not very high leading to not much space to work with. It’s definitely more “2D” than “3D”. The cramped stage doesn’t help this sets imaging capabilities. It’s definitely got separation and you can hear left, center, right blobs pretty distinctly but outside of that there isn’t much nuance. Notes are sharp and concise which helps with clarity. I don’t get any roundness across the entire spectrum which is more important to me than imaging.

Treble

Treble is emphasized enough to counteract any veil in the vocals that the big bass shelf would have caused. The treble is emphasized enough to cut through the mix and stops at that. The lack of zing in percussive instruments is usually a big indicator that treble is missing and I don’t get that here. Where I do notice the lack of treble is in vocals on certain mixes, especially with vocals that are in the lower registers. There is a lack of top end that causes lower vocals to come off as dull or blunt, which hurts the enjoyment of the song for me.

Midrange

Vocals present in line with the rest of the track, maybe a tad forward but definitely not in your face. lower vocals have an extra husk to them that would put them firmly in the “colored replay” category. Vocals in the upper registers have good body and still manage to keep a bit of sparkle to avoid sounding dull. Steel string guitars snap really well with good body and zing as do wood blocks. Maracas have good detail and come off very texture which is not always the case with bassy sets.

Mid bass

Bass is the focus of this set and unlike most other bass focused sets, the mid bass is the prominent player here. There is a lot of physicality and texture in the bass without blowing out the whole mix. Mid bass has a good balance of tightness, speed and decay so hits linger long enough to feel their full impact but not too long for it to seem loose or flabby. If I had to describe the mid bass in one word it would be palpable.

Sub bass

While not basshead levels, the sub bass is elevated enough to get substantial hits on certain EDM and rap tracks when called upon. It does a good job taking a backseat to the mid bass and plays a supporting role in the replay. I would describe the sub bass as clean and thumpy with good speed which is how I like my sub bass. No boomy bass here, just clean, thumpy hits. Bass speed is very good, it doesn’t linger and take over everything like other bassy sets such as the EST50.

Genres

Below are my rankings for how this set plays each genre. These are based on my general enjoyment of the replay for some songs that fall in each category and is therefore very subjective and may not represent the category as a whole. If you have any questions as to what songs I listened to for each category feel free to ask!

Pop - 7
Rap - 7
Hip Hop - 8
R&B - 8
Latin - 7
House/EDM - 8
Country - 7

9 Likes

It’s funny how you ended up on Tri Clarion tips for the 10th too. I talked about them using a more traditional tip, but my personally preferred version of the 10th was with Clarions. I agree with all of your points there.

I leaned just a little bit to DTE500, but the 10th is a worthy set if that’s your preference

2 Likes

Great minds think alike! I was thinking it was a bit unfair to write up my thoughts using the Tri Clarion because it really was a decent improvement to the sound compared to other tips I used but I like to review IEMs with the best setup I can give them.

I also liked the DTE500 but I found the 10th to have a bit more special sauce than the DTE500 which was the biggest differentiator for me.

1 Like

That makes sense. The way you wrote up the 10th treble, I got that feeling a little bit more with DTE500. But I can see leaning one way or the other based on which one catches your fancy that way.

2 Likes

Tri Starsea

Sound Profile

Neutral bright

Overview

The Tri Starsea may be a name you have heard briefly before. There are plenty of reviews out there that sing its praise however it never garnered mass adoption and a lot that, in my opinion, has to do with two substantial issues. The first is that it leans on the brighter side and can be a little unrefined in the upper treble, causing a bit of harshness and the second is that pressure build up/driver flex. While both issues depend on the individuals ears the second will likely impact more people than the first.

Even when taking into account those two potential dealbreakers I will stand by the statement that if you like a neutral bright signature (such as myself) this IEM is easily one of the best under $150 and competes with IEMs 2-3x the price. I love a sparkly vocal forward set and I can’t think of one better that I have heard in this price range (I definitely recommend narrow bore tips or ones with built in filters like the Sennheiser IE Pro tips to help it shine). Technicalities are pretty good for the price range as well. This is definitely a lower volume set however nothing is really lost at the lower volume as bass still has good impact (much better than the Blessing 3 for instance). The set is overall an energetic and exciting listen with a tuning that is line with a lot of people’s preferences. I think a boost of 2-3db would help counteract the peaky treble but I’m being nitpicky here.

Overall I think the Starsea is easily worth the price if you can handle the treble and pressure. Unfortunately it’s hard to recommend as a blind buy because of that unless you use something like Amazon with free returns. And before I forget, I think Tri messed up by putting switches on this thing. The switches really do nothing and they could have saved some money but just removing them.

Details

Technicalities

While not a stand out in the general landscape, the technicalities of the Starsea are pretty good for ~$100. I think some of the resolution comes from the boost treble which is unfortunate as it does result in harshness and some graininess in the very upper registers but that kind of boost definitely adds space and air. Stage width and depth are slightly above average however everything sounds like it’s on the same plane due to the lack of height. Imaging is not particularly great as I find it hard to really isolate sounds inside the stage. General location is there but specific pinpointing is trickier I will say I have seen similar imaging on sets in the $300 range so I don’t judge this too harshly since this is a ~$100 set.

Treble

Because of the elevated treble vocals can sound overly sparkly and unnatural, especially coming off of sets that are darker. However, once you give your brain some time to adjust it really brings a lot of excitement to the mix and boosts some background sounds that result in more “detail retrieval”. I wouldn’t recommend this set with older recordings.

Midrange

Vocals are forward with nice sheen and air. For those who like super clean mids you will not be the biggest fan of this set. Vocals and instruments are full bodied with quite a bit of extension up top to the point where they may sound unnatural. This doesn’t bother me as much since it really lets them cut through the mix. Instruments have nice sharp edges that help with instrument separation and detail retrieval.

Mid bass

There is enough mid bass to add note weight and counterbalance the treble so that the whole signature doesn’t become too lean however if you are all about that bass I would avoid this set. Again, we are talking about a neutral bright signature here. Drums can come through a bit weak due to the lack of mid bass but that’s pretty dependent on the track since some tracks had great kick drum hits whereas others gave me the same sensation as playing a shooter with haptic feedback off.

Sub bass

Being a neutral bright set, Im a bit surprised the amount of sub bass contained in this set. The first drop in Big Poppa by Biggie hits with a beautiful rumble that reverberates the whole space and really sets the tone. There isn’t a ton of texture in the bass and that is actually okay since it’s not particular boosted. The bass that does hit is clean and tight which I prefer. While its not the fastest bass, it works well again because its not balanced with the rest of the signature.

Genres

Below are my rankings for how this set plays each genre. These are based on my general enjoyment of the replay for some songs that fall in each category and is therefore very subjective and may not represent the category as a whole. If you have any questions as to what songs I listened to for each category feel free to ask!

Pop - 8
Rap - 7
Hip Hop - 7
R&B - 7
Latin - 7
House/EDM - 7
Country - 8

12 Likes

If there was a way to hold back the Starsea’s 8k so that people who are sensitive to that section (me) can enjoy the rest of it… definite low cost winner! I don’t have different filter weights to try with.

3 Likes

nozzle filters would definitely help with this. I found the IE pro tips to help a little since they have foam inserts but I agree. That peak in the upper treble can be rough

Starsea with that treble extension lost me forever :grinning:.

In what way?

The cymbals will tear my eardrums apart :smile:

1 Like

Aful Performer 8: Afully good

Sound Profile

Neutral with sight bass boost

Overview

For anyone unfamiliar with the Aful brand, the Performer 8 is their top end offering. It features 7BAs and a single DD compared to their lower 4BA/1DD Aful Performer 5. I had the privilege of listening to the Performer5 a few months back and while it was a very good IEM and worth the money, the Performer8 improves on all my issues with the Performer5. I found the Performer 5 to be overly warm with a small soundstage which resulted in a congested replay on anything even slightly busy. The Performer 8 refines the general approach Aful had with the Performer 5, resulting in a much more neutral and open replay. If I had to knock the Performer 8 on anything, its that its almost too neutral. There is no real mojo in this set. Vocals for instance are technically flawless however they lack engagement. They are slightly recessed but not overly so, they aren’t thin and have decent body but for some reason I don’t get much “feeling” from them.

This set is quite the enigma as I find it hard to fault anything on it but at the same time I find it hard to be really excited about it? When I first started my IEM journey I guarantee this is a set that would have put a pin in my search, however my goals and tastes have changed to the point where I need something more for it to win me over. If you are looking for a technically strong set in the sub $400 it’s really hard to beat this set. It’s a better Blessing 3, full stop. If you need something more engaging and fun I would look elsewhere though.

Details

Im using Final Audio E tips for the review

Technicalities

Im very impressed with the technicalities on this set. While stage is mostly in front of you, detail retrieval and imaging is pretty damn good and allow you to truly visualize the where everything is. Resolution is also top notch in that it doesn’t come off as treble “resolution” but true clarity in music replay which also means its not particularly fatiguing. In “Misguided Ghosts” I can pull out and pinpoint the small thump in the background which is kind of new for me.

Treble

Treble is teetering on the line of too much but I think it just avoids jumping of the edge. I don’t find the set fatiguing or grating however I also love the IE600 so Im somewhat unaffected by runaway treble. What I will say is that on boosted treble sets I hear a bit of fraying on the edge of notes in the upper registers and that is not present here.

I wouldn’t call the Performer 8 “airy” or “open” but notes in the upper registers do have a sense of shimmer which is kind of a must for me. As time has gone on I have become less a stickler for needing that sense of air and space so I am pretty good with how this treble tows the line

Midrange

The midrange on the Performer 8 is top notch. If you are big fan of clean midrange that still has good body you will really like this set. Instruments have amazing clarity. For instance, guitars have all the body and twang that I would expect. Electric guitars seem to be particularly tricky imo because it’s a fine line between being too thin and fuzzy and bloated and muddy. The Performer 8 walks that line with ease and the technical chops allow particularly hectic tracks with multiple guitars and drums to avoid congestion. Vocals are not forward and do come off less engaging so if you are all about the vocals there are better sets however the vocal quality is very good and fits nicely in the stage along with the rest of the sets. Vocals in the lower registers have more note weight which helps them come off more engaging and complex compared to those in the upper register.

Mid bass

This is not a mid bass set. The “tuck” is real on this one and if you like your mid bass I would avoid. You kind of have to pick your poison, either good chunky mid bass or a clean, open, midrange and this set went with the latter which makes sense since the Performer 5 exists for those who want a warmer tonality with more mid bass.

Sub bass

This is one place where the set loses me a bit. For tracks with dedicated sub bass hits like “Doin’ it Right” the bass is so tasty and really fills the space without washing anything out. However, on other songs that don’t explicitly emphasis sub bass the whole bass experience is lost. I tried adding a 4db shelf at 125hz and it did wonders for engagement and body.

Genres

Pop - 8
Rap - 6
Hip Hop - 7
R&B - 8
Latin - 7
House/EDM - 7
Country - 9

12 Likes

dropping some 10 minute impressions on some sets I have been super interested about and finally got to hear! Shout out to @VIVIDICI_111 , @Sonofholhorse @GooberBM and @MMag05 for letting me try these all out

HookX x HBB (medium bore no name tips)

• Super airy to the point of sounding frayed at note ends
  • Bass has good thump but outside of that nothing to really write home about
  • Stage is very in front, not immersive or 3D
  • Imaging is decent
  • 3/5

Kailua (Azla regs)

• Great instrument replay, super natural and resolving
  • Stage is very wide, not super deep. Vocals lean more forward
  • Bass is present with good thump but I would like a bit more, lighter than HookX imo. I can’t turn it too much to get a lot bass because the upper mids become harsh
  • Imaging is good
  • Fit is funky
  • 4/5

Fan 2

• Super smooth, nothing offensive, very natural tone and great clarity
  • Not a bass set. There is a slight warmth but that’s about all you are getting from it
  • Stage is average in all directions (height, depth, width)
  • Nothing in particular stands out meaning there isn’t anything “special”
  • Imaging is decent
  • 4/5

Starfield 2

• Bright and thin
  • Has some bass to hold it up and making it listenable
  • Techs are meh. Everything sounds tinny
  • 2/5

Prestige LTD

• Tonal balance is top tier
  • Clarity and resolution is uncompromising
  • Stage is average, staying mostly in front of me
  • Bass has a lot of texture and is real tight although it lacks some body
  • They are big and the nozzle is too chunky for my ears
  • 4/5

Monarch MK3

• Tonal balance similar to Prestige but leaning more fun
  • Upper mids can be sharp
  • Bass has bigger impact with similar texture
  • Somethinwg with the shape of these makes the fit better even though the nozzle is the same of the Prestige
  • Stage is average, staying mostly in front of me
  • 4/5
17 Likes

I’m not surprised by your take on the Kailuas. They sound good but the fit is so weird and at least for me they have major condensation issues after about 90 minutes. If it wasn’t for the drawbacks they would be a good generalist set for a basshead looking to take a break from big hitting sets but not going to a bass shy “audiophile” tuning.

3 Likes

Hey all!

It’s been a while since I did any “formal” reviews but I’m glad I got to a chance to listen to some bangers (shout out to @Sonofholhorse @domq422 and @GooberBM ) so I feel its only far for me to share my thoughts. Ive changed up my format a little bit and I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

3 Likes

Subtonic Storm - Regrets come in many forms

Overview

The Subtonic Storm was a well known IEM before it even existed. I remember the clamor leading up to its release. Folks were saying this would be the pinnacle of what an IEM can achieve. While I was skeptical of those claims and of the reviews corraborating those statements I accepted that I would never actually experience this set so I never really thought much about it. That is until the magnificent @Sonofholhorse offered to let a few of us listen to this set. Thanks again for this once in a lifetime opportunity!

After listening to the Storm for a few days all I can really do is add my voice to the choir and agree that this set is likely as “perfect” as any set I will ever listen to and has single-handedly made me believe that BAs can do bass well. Every aspect of the replay shines in some way. The bass is impactful and tight, with just enough quantity to balance the rest of the FR. Mids have enough heft to keep them afloat while not weighing down the top end which manages to bring sparkle and air in abundance. Every nuance is easily retrievable without being distracting and the stage is deep with great imaging which adds to the detail retrieval.

If I had to knock this set the biggest issue is that in its pursuit of perfection, it losses a bit of its soul. I never found myself dancing or tapping my foot when listening to this set. On top of that, I would personally still prefer a good DD for the bass. The bass is plenty impactful but I prefer a slower decay and rumble that is missing.

Pros

• Air on top of air on top of air
  • Imaging is pinpoint with even the most nuanced sound in the background being heard clearly
  • Details are easily picked up without being fatiguing
  • Female vocals are so soft and sparkly without being frayed or poorly defined

Cons

• Hard to listen to other sets right after this one
  • Not the most comfortable for long listening sessions
  • While the bass is better than most sets I have tried its not class leading, especially for the price.
  • People may want more husk and warmth in male vocals
  • Requires a lot of power to get to a proper volume (almost maxed out SE on the Gryphon)

Genres

Pop - 10/10

Standing Next to You (Remix) - Jung Kook & Usher

Both Jung Kook & Usher are operating in the upper registers this entire song and on many sets this track can get sharp, sibilant or just generally fatiguing. However here it straddles that line without going over. Mind you I am pretty tolerant of sibilance so for some it might still be too much.

Meet Me At Our Spot - Willow, Tyler Cole

I love this track because Willow has such a unique voice and the simple bass and drum track just set the whole tone. The storm replays this track really well and gives proper body to the kick drum and bass guitar throughout the whole song without interfering with the rest of the song. This is a testament to the layering and separation that the Storm can manage. Willow’s voice is tonally correct and has her signature husk.

Hip Hop - 7/10

Inward Hill Park- 6LACK

This track emphasizes some deficiencies in the Storms bass. When played with a boosted DD bass set the bass line booms and rattles my ears. The extreme control of the bass on this set doesn’t let that rawness through. On the other end the unique texture in 6LACKs voice comes through and is intoxicating. Even with just vocals and a layered bass line it’s amazing how much depth comes through still.

Bruuh (Remix) - JID w/ Denzel Curry

Bass takes a backseat in this track when it should really be front and center. This one is more egregious as the bass is the entire heart of this song and saps it of its essence. On top of that JID and Curry’s voices sound artificially airy. Couple that with the lack of impactful bass and this song falls flat.

R&B - 8/10

On and On - Tyla

This song also has a great, impactful bass line that straddles sub and mid bass which is why I love to use this for testing bass. With the Storms you get a get a good sense of the sub bass and keeping it tight on this track works in its favor, mid bass however is missing which makes some of the bass rolls a bit meh. Tyla’s voice though is just chef’s kiss. This set plays to her vocal strengths so much. It captures all the breathiness and warmth while staying light and soft. All that without any rounding or fraying at the edges is pretty miraculous.

Needs - Tinashe

Another track with big bass hits that hold for a long time which the Storm manages well enough. I wouldn’t say it’s deficient but I have heard better texture and rumble in other sets. I feel like a broken record but again the vocals are just spot on for this set and the bass hits don’t impact the vocals at all, with everything being perfectly separated.

Latin - 9/10

Monaco - Bad Bunny

Right off the bat on the intro you get this tight bass hit which sets the tone for the whole song. Bad Bunny is front and center and you can immediately get the sense of depth as everything seems layered on top of each other without getting muddled, including the violins that move around in the background. This is a song where I would expect Bad Bunny’s voice to be a bit huskier and lower though but that would be my only knock.

Dame Beso // Muévete - Kali Chis

This set has all the classic latin staples such as trumpets, piano and various percussions. Every instrument throughout the song comes in crystal clear yet properly defined in their place in space, swirling around Kali Uchis’ ethereal voice. On many sets I have had this song fray the edges of Uchis’ vocals, especially as her voice gets whispy from left and right when it switches over to the classic merengue beat. Honestly, I don’t think there is anything that could improve the replay of this song for me.

House/EDM - 8/10

Doin’ it Right - Daft Punk, Panda Bear

I love this track and it’s one of my favorites from RAM. The Storm almost does it justice but again the bass doesn’t quite bring the appropriate texture and impact, mainly in the mid bass. Everything else is spot on and the spaciousness adds a great atmospheric quality that I wish I could experience with other sets

Heaven Takes You Home - SHM

Yeah this track bumps. It’s an oldie but a goodie and the Storm does crushes it. Yes, the bass could thump a bit harder but hot damn Constance’s vocals just put you in the correct mood for this song.

Country - 10/10

I remember Everything - Zach Bryan, Kacey Musgrave

This is a simple track with just two guitars, drums and these two amazing artists. It’s an extremely intimate song and this set captures that pretty much spot on. timbre on this entire track is extremely lifelike. Bryan and Musgrave have very different vocal qualities and yet Bryan’s huskiness is captured perfectly alongside Musgrave’s airiness.

If It Hadn’t Been For Love - The Steeldrivers

I love this track because it’s one of the few that really pushes the boundary of space and staging and of course the Storm does not disappoint. I can hear the banjo all the way behind and to the right, violin front and center and then to the far left is what almost sounds like a ukulele. Everything crystal clear in their designated places

17 Likes