Can my Aune X7s drive DT880 600ohm?

Ahh, I bought mine from schiit US (I’m in the UK) and it worked out a couple £ more than the schiit eu store, but I don’t know whether the shipping costs would be different for you? I, and I know a few others, feel like you need to go to something in the $500 range to get an upgrade to the A3.

Another option that you can get in the EU is something like the Lake People g103 from Thomann, that is supposed to be a good option in that sort of price range.

I don’t know much about the UK transportation. In EU everything, that is shipped from the outside of EU, is taken by the customs department and customs policemen (if it is more expensive than 22 EUR). You would need to pay the customs taxes, fees and explain the policemen your intention with the shipment. I got a hard lesson from buying stuff on Ebay and I had no idea at the time. So I would definitely not like to spend half a day in a government building (especially in this pandemic time).

Holy moly. It’s actually in stock in my local shop. However I’m not sure much about the Lake People. I will definitely check it if it worth to swap it with my X7s.

I didn’t realise it was that much hassle, yeah maybe not quite as worth it if you have to go through all that. :sweat_smile: We get customs charges etc, but we don’t have to do things like going to a building to declare what we intend to use something for.

I haven’t experience with the a20 but since you are looking for a new amp, you have a 600, maybe in the future a 880 600ohm, you are in central Europe, and you have already a solid state amp, a good option is a tube amp I’ve got the eufonika h5 made in Poland, it adds a lot of magic to both and is really well designed

2 Likes

I see. I’m planning on a tube amp in a future but not right now. I heard that HD600 is excellent with a tube amp. Something like Darkvoice or Little Dot Mk2

I tried many solid state amplifiers, differences by them exists but are really subtle and sometimes just there aren’t at all, a tube amp really change the sound, so if you want just to change the aune go head but if you are looking for a different sound probably you’re not gonna find it with an other solid state amp. About the tube amp, I’m a little in the DIY and I know something about the electronic and circuit, when I got it I was curious as usual and I opened it, and design and components are top class, almost too much for the price, from the outside it looks close to a DIY project but inside is a really professional product, I was thinking to a dark voice too after I heard that It has some noise and buzz issues, the eufonika is really noiseless, I was astonished when I maxed out the volume and it was dead quite, probably because it uses 2 secondary transformers one for each tube.

Ok. Well it’s definitely on the list but it is very expensive. I’m not there yet. Btw I was checking one of the pages regarding Aune X7s and it is said in order to use X7s to its full potential I would need a source that is not lower than 2 volts. I have it paired with my Focusrite Solo, does that Solo provide enough voltage for the Aune X7s for its full potential?

I don’t know who wrote that the aune needs at least 2Vrms in input but I will say every amp needs them and all the hifi DAC on the market have an output of 2Vrms in unbalanced, but the focusrite is not a hifi DAC and as all the professional converter usually has more output specifically 4.6Vrms

I’m sorry I couldn’t understand because of my bad English. So Solo is taken as a professional converter that has about an output of 4.6Vrms, which would be enough for Aune X7s?

Don’t worry I’m not English as well, 4.6Vrms is more than enough for the aune, basically it means that when you are using the focusrite compared to other hifi DACs the focusrite will always sounds louder and this allows to reduce the gain in the amplifier

1 Like

Thank you. I was just worried because Focusrite seems not exactly built for the hobby. It is also much cheaper than most dacs.

Is the hifi that is overpriced…

Hi. I just found that my local shop has Lake People Phone-Amp G103-S that everyone has been talking about. Do you think it is an upgrade from my Aune X7s?

I had at the same time a lake people G109, a lehman linear, a lehman rhinelander and the aune. I got the aune because i was thinking to go balance and sell some of the other amps, I tought about the violectric but was to expensive so i decide for the aune. I enden keeping the aune and the rhinelander. I decided to keep the rhinelander just because was different in sound signature compared to the aune and I keep it just in case of emergency. I decide to sold the linear because wasn’t really worth the upgrade over the rhinelander and I sold the g109 because in sound signature was extremely close if not identical to the aune in single ended but compared to the aune balanced i prefered the aune, also about design and features i prefered the aune, it looks better and I don’t have to open it when I want to change the gain. So for me is not an upgrade maybe if you had a focal the lake people was a better choice because the focal are headphones with an odd impedence curve and really need an amp with an extremely low output impedence if you don’t want to change the frequency responce but since you got like me all high impedence headphones I don’t thing the g103 is an upgrade.

Thank you for the answer. Focals are pretty much out of the price range I would like to buy headphones from so I’m satisfied with amps that can support my HD600, DT770 and upcoming DT880 600ohm. That would probably be my endgame setup. Do you think dacs are also important to upgrade? Or is my Focusrite enough?

Edit: I want to say that I’ve found a few more interesting amps here like Topping L30 and Pro-Ject Head Box S2. However I don’t think any of them are worth to buy.

I don’t have a great experience with DACs but I noticed consistent differences only when I switched technology, like old Wolfson or BB to akm and ess, especially in dynamic currently I have a focusrite too the claret that should use an akm and a toneboard that uses an ess I found the toneboard a little more clear but someone will describe it as sharp, I don’t think is really worth spend money on a DAC except if you start to look for something exotic like r2r tube DAC ecc that’s way I was thinking to sell the toneboard is just that I too cheap so is not worth sell it.

Thank you. In terms of setup I think the most important part are the headphones, then amp and lastly the dac.

1 Like