Canuck Audioholics Anonymous CAA Reviews & Fun Banter

KZ PR1 PRO - A nice well tuned IEM Planar or not.

Solid bass, more thick Dynamic Driver like than the Timeless I had.

Stage is better too as is Vocals.
A worthy IEM

1 Like

Anyone get QoBuz working in Canada?
Seems even VPN can’t get past it?

1 Like

I tried the HarmonicDyne PD1
1 DD and 1 Planar.
That was a horrible effort.
I liked the Tri I3 pro.
So, if planar hybrids trend in 2023, I have some faith there could be some great offerings.

1 Like

I liked the PR1 pro. Very good for the price bracket imo.

1 Like

Going to try the IE200 if Timmy can get this curve with DUNU S&S tips . I am down. Be here Tuesday we will see.

1 Like

OMG flashback I was working in Car Audio at this store back then and where I met my future Wife. She was selling the latest Walkmans Love at first site.

As I am ever still grateful she understands my passion for Audio even more to this day. :heart:

1 Like

HHHmmm, only have heard and own the original PR1. I’m sure the Pro is an improvement.

1 Like

Different driver and shell with the PR1 PRO but they graph almost the same. I cant see alot of differences between the two.

I said in the video some thought the tuning was not great on the original…
Having not heard the Original not sure why KZ was so fast to replace the PR1so quickly?

1 Like

When Qobuz wasn’t available in the US yet, I used a VPN for the first year and they got very good a sniffing that out. Eventually you had to use the web player as well as a vpn or a VPN and DNSCrypt to use the app. I haven’t tried it since it became available in the US, but you can download InviziblePro for Android from the play store and set it up to use only Tor nodes and DNSCrypt servers in countries where Qobuz is offered. That used to work when I was doing it a few years back. I have no clue if it’ll still work now, but it might be worth a shot.

3 Likes

Wow thank you very detailed. Sounds like us Canucks still not feeling the love from Q. Or will be anytime soon. Much appreciated the info. Thanks J.

2 Likes

No problem. I hope it works for you! :crossed_fingers::metal:

My non shilling of KBEAR Storm.

2 Likes

I hear if you buy the Penon Totem cable for $700 and use it with the Storm it will sound like your favorite TOTL IEM. If you can’t afford the whole cable they make an adapter from the same cable as the Totem for like $100 or something and if you use that with the Storm it’ll bump its performance up to $1k range. This info came from totally legit reviewers…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face::rofl:

4 Likes

Ahh wise you are . READ Head-Fi you do!
yoda_smoking_weed_by_pointlessartist_dhoru9-fullview

2 Likes

I actually hadn’t checked the discovery thread in a while. At least the cable he’s shilling today is only $150 lol! :joy:

2 Likes

AudioSense DT600
$285 usd retail.
6 BA. 2 Low, 2 Mids, 2 High
14 ohm impedance
106 +- dB sensitivity
20Hz-22kHz frequency response

Thanks go out to King Nubian for opportunity to experience the DT600.

AudioSense DT600 was released summer/fall of 2021 so it’s been around now for a little better than 2 years.
There are already numerous reviews on line.
But, here is my take on them.

• Stock, no impedance adapter
  • 75 ohm adapter
  • iFi iEMatch adapter by

I received only the earpieces. (and 75 ohm impedance adapter)
I’ve chosen Moondrop spring wide bore tips, and Campfire Audio Smokey Litz SPC mmcx cable terminated 4.4mm balanced.

Build is very good, nice smooth resin shells with a “wing”.
Faceplates are attractive (subjective).
The resin nozzles have a moderate flange on the end, so ear tips stay firmly in place.

Fit is very good for me.
They are comfortable in ear for extended sessions.
Nozzle depth and angle are good, I have no problems with seal or anchor using the Moondrop tips.
Fit is of course subjective, and personal. But I have larger ears and they fit very well for me.

Sound evaluation will be using my Astell & Kern SP2000T in OP amp mode.

• Without Impedance Adapter:

Good sub bass and extension, doesn’t pull extremely deep or have much rumble, but adequate. Sub bass has some bloat, it fills the head stage and subdues other frequencies.
I does have decent thump.

Mid bass and lower mids are recessed.
Sub bass just lurks here.

Mids recover, are moderately elevated, and have decent clarity and detail, they present well but sub bass veil prevents them from really standing out.

Vocals are only slightly more elevated but do present forward. Despite also being veiled to some degree, vocals do present accurately with an added hint of “smoky” husk.

Highs don’t elevate much above mids limiting the presentation of air.
Good macro detail but lacking in micro detail, cymbals have good “tssshh” but lack air and shine.
Highs are subdued and polite, certainly not harsh or sibilant.

Head Stage lacks openness but is overall good.
Width is slightly outside the head. Height is good, sub bass doesn’t pull it overly low, and lack of air prevents it lifting high. Limited top to bottom layering.
Depth is average vocals and mids do present somewhat forward, but overall it lacks a sense of front to rear dimension.
Imaging is decent left to right.

I critiqued kinda hard on the DT600 in its “raw” configuration.
In truth it sounds pretty good, all things considered.
I was expecting a higher resolving and detailed sound from an all BA IEM, but instead got a pretty laid back non energetic listening experience.

• With 75 ohm Impedance Adapter:

Still has good sub bass presence but tighter, more refined, and stays in its place. Instead of permeating the head stage it stays lower and instead of being “boomy” has some defined rumble to it.

Mid bass and lower mids remain recessed, maybe even more recessed. But they are more open and spacious, with less sub bass bloat.

Upper mids have considerably more clarity and detail and are elevated more in the head stage. They also present more forward.

Vocals have more clarity and are more articulate. They still have a mostly natural tonality. Opposite of the smoky veil, they can now be crisp and bright to the point of being a bit thin on the upper registers.

Highs really shine now. They are crisp clear and detailed with much better air.

Head stage is more open with improved spaciousness.
Width is the same, still slightly outside the head.
Height is better with improved air and sub bass extension.
Mids and Vocals present more forward adding some front to rear depth.
Separation is better providing more individuality for instruments.
Imaging is improved, accurate placement of instruments left to right, top to bottom, and front to rear is very good.

The proverbial “sounds like a completely different IEM” is applicable here.
Adding the impedance adapter transformed the DT600 from a bass veiled hazy presentation with subdued details and clarity, into a highly detailed and articulate presentation with fast tight bass.

• With iFi ieMatch, high sensitivity setting:

Sub bass gains back some prominence in the head stage, but also retains a somewhat tighter and refined extension.

Mid bass and lower mids carry more warmth but remain more open.

Upper mids, the “veil” is back, but to a lesser degree, detail and clarity are reduced a bit, but some warmth is added. A more natural tonality, but also less elevated and forward than with the 75 ohm, imo.

Vocals also somewhat veiled again. Trade off between clarity and articulation, and a warmer more natural tonality.

Highs loose some clarity and crispness, but are able to compete well against the added warmth in the sound signature.
Still have good air.
I’m slightly treble sensitive, and for me, these somewhat subdued but still very present highs are close to perfect.

Head stage doesn’t change a whole lot from that of the head stage with the 75 ohm adapter.
It is not quite as open and spacious, so separation and imaging are impacted to some degree.
Otherwise, still a very good head filling presentation.

Summary:
After spending several hours with the DT600 my personal preference lies with using the iFi ieMatch. As is often the case, the synergy can vary track by track, but overall I found the ieMatch to provide the best “all round” experience for my personal preference.
For those who prefer a more detailed “monitor” sound the 75 ohm, or similar, impedance adapter would be the ticket.
For those who prefer a warmer, thick and “bassy”presentation, straight out of the box is the option.

3 Likes

Great review Krusty , you have me thinking about what would happen if I used the iFi IEmatch on the GS Audio SE12 ?

1 Like

If it is a high sensitivity iem. The ieMatch can work wonders.
I actually tried it on ultra sensitive after I finished my review. Should have gone there, it was even better.

1 Like

3 Likes

PR1 PRO On its way in the Tour!

1 Like