🔷 Cavalli Tube Hybrid

It can be done, but you’ll need a 12AU7 to 6922 adapter (https://www.tubemonger.com/12Axx_to_ECC88_Adapter_Plug_Play_NOVIB_1960s_p/12axx-ecc88-adap-novib-mcmurdo.htm) as explained here: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/tube-rolling-12au7-to-6922-adapter

Thanx for that, ao the bottom 9pin layout if different then I take it

Just stick to 6922’s, 6922’s have a 6.3V heater supply, 12A?7’s are 12.6V.
Generally unless you know something is a direct replacement, or understand what to look at in a datasheet, just pick a tube someone else with the amp is suggesting.
Just because it fits in the socket does not mean it will work and worst case you can damage the amp.

2 Likes

Thanx will do

So… I bought a bunch of tubes for this to play around with and… none of them work!?! I must be missing something. Can anyone direct me to some basic information on tubes? How the heck do I know what tubes will work in this thing?

Here’s one of the tubes I bought:

Where’d I make my mistake?

Define “not working” that’s the right tube type, the 6922. Those particular tubes will take a good long while to burn in, they start out fine then get really fat and muffled and then they start getting better again but will need hours and hours, 60+ or more.

Sounds like you’re just not getting sound or what do you mean? Does the stock tube that came with the amp work?

1 Like

Stock tube works. I also got an unmarked tube when I bought the amp that works. With the new tubes, I’m getting no sound. A couple of them are the 12ua7 - so I’m guessing those aren’t the correct tubes, but I did order an adapter that hasn’t arrived yet.

I’m wondering if the Gold Lion is busted? It doesn’t light up or anything.

The other tubes need the adapter? I guess I was surprised because they fit… So what exactly does the adapter do?

Not a SME but I know that people can and do use the 12AU7 tubes and 12AX7 tubes with pin out adapters but they aren’t the tubes the amp was designed for. They’re used because they’re cheaper and more plentiful. Stick with the 6922 for no fuss rolling though.

In the end, the different tubes are noticeable but not anything that dramatic IMO.

So, do you think the Gold Lion needs to be returned? It should work without issue? It was a rather expensive tube, so I don’t want to eat that cost.

If it doesn’t light up, and other tubes do it’s dead.
It can take a few minutes and it may not be very bright, but you should at least see filament glow.

So, all of the tubes I ordered, including the Gold Lion, ended up working with this adapter:

I guess they must have sent the wrong Gold Lion tube?

I had my tube crack and it burnt out. Didnt notice at first but yea it only made static noise, maybe check if the tube is still fine.