Cheap android phone for use as a DAP?

C’mon now you have to use it lol

1 Like

By the way. They’re getting smaller and smaller, and cheaper and cheaper… as always.
I remember paying 50$USD for a 64 megabytes SD card. The last SD card I bought was on sale, 50$USD for 256 gigabytes. And it’s a MicroSD.

These are more or less 125$USD for 1TB. Both SSDs too so if you drop them… they’re not automatically completely destroyed beyond repair.

1 Like

That is an option, getting a dongle to use something like that and strapping it on the back of a phone, but it’s not the simplest setup

Blu-tac! :slight_smile:
And phones are so damn small now, you may find it better to use it and text with it after adding thickness to it, god dammit.

Still a fan of thick phones with decent bezels lol. I really dislike notches, glass backs, super slim phones, curved screens, and very small bezels. Also no user swap-able batteries no headphone jacks, and more and more lol. Don’t like where phones are heading

4 Likes

Just bought a new V20 for $164 and got a 512gb sd card. Should be here by the end of the week. Pretty excited, never messed around with android os before either, so this should be a cool learning experience too. Also, anyone noticed how many fake phones from china are being sold on ebay D: Took me some time to nail down a phone that seemed legit.

Lol yeah I don’t buy much from China. Ebay + China + Smartphone = No thanks.

I got my smartphone from a US eBay seller (years ago).

1 Like

Okay, got everything set up, and just about everything disabled that was unneeded. Didn’t root it but I did flash the latest Android 8 stock rom for it. Never used AndroidOS before but I’m pretty impressed with it, next time I get a new phone (for actual phone use) I might move away from iOS. The dac is no kidding, really good, and I probably won’t be needing to use my NX4 with it. The ES100 also pairs and works through LDAC as I wanted it to. Briefly tried UAPP last night and I’m liking it so far (man, is it pretty or what?), only thing I’d like to change is that multi disc albums are being listed as separated by disc and I don’t want that. There might be a setting to change, though, so I’ll have to play around with it tonight. For a 3 year old phone, it feels premium as hell, I definitely feel like I got something way cheaper than what it was worth. I’m really happy with it. :smiley: Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and recommendations. And to anyone new to the thread, as an owner I can now rec the V20 too.

4 Likes

You could edit the metadata of the albums in question so they all are listed under the same album without something like cd1 or cd2.

Also glad you like it :+1:

Also nice wallpaper

Yup. :slight_smile: “Oh there’s a new one, therefore the other one, which is 90% similar, is old and has to be for sale for 1/4 of the price!”

Found the problem, there was an option to ignore the paths of folders and just go off tags and after clearing the database and rescanning, it’s fixed now. Perfect app.

I really like UAPP, and wish I could get it working on the m11

It’s crazy, unless the hardware fails somehow, I could see myself using this for years. The perceived value of the device isn’t reflected in the cost at all. I guess I should be thankful that that’s the way the market goes for phones though. If its value was reflected in the price, I probably wouldn’t have afforded it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What’s the issue with UAPP and the M11? I heard Amazon Music wouldn’t work on it either.

Since there is no google play support, you can’t install it on the m11. I have covered this on the m11 thread and other threads if you are interested

Just read up through the threads, you definitely went on quite the odyssey to try and get uapp working on there. :anguished: I had looked at but skipped over the M11 because Amazon Music apparently doesn’t work properly for it. It’s a device I would’ve maybe looked more into if not for that, but I didn’t know about the play store. I just assumed since it was android based it’d have it. I guess there is always the possibility for an exploit, hopefully.

Lol yeah it’s not a lost cause, but I don’t have any free time to keep messing with it

I’m thinking about using my Pixel 2xl as a DAP. Pixel 4 comes out in less than 2 weeks and I’m due for an upgrade. I’d have to fine a decent DAC though

How much are you looking to spend for a dac and amp combo?

I was debating on the Monoprice thx portable. It will be a few weeks though before I make any purchases. I still have to pick up the new phone first