Choice between BTR3 and Shanling UP2?

Cool! I hope you enjoy it. Feel free to share your thoughts on it when you get it.

1 Like

@Soren_Peregrine
A bit too early to really rate the UP2; but my first thoughts are: Wait… I don’t need an IEMatch when I hook up my FA1s? if I connect them to the E10K or RC-BT they will hiss, not with the UP2. Also the device feels nice, it’s a bit shorter than I’d expected, but it has just the right weight to it. Haven’t been able to connect it to my PC yet, but there’s a firmware upgrade that has PC support in the list of fixes so can’t complain about that until I did the upgrade. Then I can also try the companion app, though I find it kinda sketch that it’s an APK file included with the firmware download in stead of an app I can download through the play store…

2 Likes

Sounds like you are liking it so far. That’s great!
Many apps for companies that are not very well known such as this one do not upload their apps to the play store. Don’t worry if it is an APK file, I have had to use those for many things and they are totally okay.

Well I did the firmware update. The app is quite nice, can’t say I hear the difference between the filters but I’m not sure I would. The 5-band eq is kinda nice though, for if you just want to add a little bass. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to get this to work stably on Linux. However, I’m hopeful there’ll be a fix at some point, though Shanling has mentioned in the thread on head-fi that they don’t have a Linux PC so I’m not hopeful there’ll be a fix soon :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

Update: I have been able to get the UP2 working on Linux (Ubuntu 18.04) with a fairly simple fix I found on head-fi. Basically I needed to change the default sampling rate from 44.1 to 48 khz in the pulse daemon config and everything’s working excellent now.

2 Likes

Awesome! Sounds like it is a great piece of equipment for you.

Just leaving random thoughts here in case anyone happens to wander here lol. I tried the app; It feels like an unpublished app that you install through an APK :yum:. But it’s pretty decent in functionality. I have to say the UP2 with a bass boost through the app and the Moondrop Starfields sound very nice. I’m not much of a bass head but I do really appreciate the bass of this set-up. I cannot for the life of me tell the difference between the filters though…

2 Likes

After using the UP2 for a while I have to say it works pretty good with Bluetooth and IEMs, but you really shouldn’t be using it for anything else.
I feel like the UP2 has a hard time driving anything but IEMs, though it could be me. Whenever I listen to my porta pro, ksc75 or HE400i it will give plenty of volume, but sometimes it sounds like it’s struggling and it looses it’s balance. It sounds like it’s not able to supply enough power, even though I’m not running it at full volume yet.
I’m not sure whether this makes sense, if anyone knows what’s happening I’d love to know so I can pick a better solution for when I get back to the office.