[CO] headphone like the Hifiman Sundara?

That is actually pretty interesting to have a headphone that is so moddable it can take the place of other headphones… I was gonna say out the box photos and what not make it look ultra cheap but then I just found out the argons are also just a mod haha. Maybe for another time I will look into that

So a slight update since I been playing around with some of the available pads that I do have. The Dekoni Elite Hybrids pretty much sounds almost exactly the same to me. I do get a slightly better seal on them so I hear slightly more bass while wearing glasses. Without glasses they sound the same roughly. They do feel better to wear on longer stretches. Thou the only downside is the price.

The Brainwavz XL Large Sheepskin adds a bit of soundstage and bass. The treble is a bit more tamed overall.

1 Like

Definitely not worried on price of pads buddy. Not to brag, but I definitely work a job that makes me plenty as required for someone in his hobby hahaha. If the pads are larger, fit the sundara, and either make the sound better or keep the same sound I am definitely sold on them. Could you do a size comparison and let me know? You said the elite hybrids from dekoni almost sound the same but would you say those Brainwavs xl are better? I did order some brainwavz XL perforated leather just recently they have yet to come in

Dekoni inner ear is 58mm the brainwavz is 65mm
The sundara pad is about 55mm

It’s hard to say if it is better soundwise but it is certainly not a bad option

2 Likes

hmm, now I am curious as to what the best sound would be as far as the pad type is concerned… Leather sheepskin perf velour etc… Thank you for this… the Brainwavz being 65mm I think is just what I need it not I will go the Dekoni route once I measure my own ear to see what I need. I have ordered some other planars to audition but if it comes down to my not liking them Headphones over there recieved a new shipment for sundaras so I managed to snag a new copy for $250 and hifiman took back the previous two I tested and proved defective. So works for me. It’ll be a gamble though as provided Sundara works out I still have to test pm-50, Aeon Open X massdrop, and Edition XX from massdrop. all of which are more expensive.

So, I got the dt 1990s in today and I sat down with them… noticed the pads being a tad uncomfortable and needed broke in… plugged it in figuring eh… itll be just like my 990s… but sure lets try them my friend swears by them(he sent them to me to trial). Good Lord was I wrong! These things are fantastic! They play music of multiple genre way better than my 990s do and have a different sound signature that isn’t as potent as the 990s. Will get the pm-50s probably tomorrow or friday. For now going to sit with these and listen to the 1990s

1 Like

Which pads are you using, balanced or analytical?

Analytical right now I havent tried balanced yet. Going to sit with it for some time to get accustomed to it a bit more… I am enjoying this a lot more than the 990s though to the point I am considering these my replacement for them.

Nice, my personal preferred is analytical, the balanced kinda mess with the sound too much imo, kinda make the bass flabby and also reduce it’s spatial capabilities a tad

Pretty solid cans, but you also pay for that lol

Yeah, your not kidding on the price point… Though I did see quite a few on head-fi for like $300 or so… It’s in my price bracket and the 990s I own now are still within their return period. debating if I can find a good pair of these I will exchange it. I just love the sound that much more these are fantastic. I have a few others to try but these are definitely on my go to list. Actually really happy that I got to try these out.

Glad you are enjoying them, really solid shit, I had mine for awhile and thought they were pretty great for the price

Well, my primary issue with the 990s is I didnt like how they represented the music in rock and alternative style music it had a good beat but it was overall too thin to make it sound good to me meanwhile electronic edm and other music was pretty solid, especially like… orchestras and others where those highs really pop in the sound. The 1990s fixes my issue with the 990s and really responds well to more genres and responded really well when I put them on my equalizer all the while staying incredible for gaming cause it still has that great staging and imaging with the more 360 degree sound I can still hear foot steps and explosions from distance just fine

The 1990 is more neutral bright, whereas the 990 is more w shaped almost at times, so I can see why you would think the 1990 is a better general all rounder. Also a step up in technicalities as well, staging and imaging are impressive for the price

I can see it being neutral bright, which if you remember is what I have been looking for and why I enjoyed the Sundara so much. I find it more comfortable than my 600 ohms as well honestly… idk something about that head clamp imbalancement threw me off a bit. I do love my 990s but I just overall enjoy the 1990s a lot more.

can already say you’ll prolly like the 1990s better than the PM-50s. If you like the brighter / clearer sound sig the PM-50s will throw you for a loop. They’re not super clear and go for a more comforting / full / musical sound than the beyers that I have. Then again I don’t have 1990s so I might just be mouthing off for no reason.

Lemme know what you think after a day of wearing them :stuck_out_tongue:

I will be sure to scream AHH MY EARS for the hell of it. Nah I am sure they will be fine and I look forward to giving them a good listen.

Also, fair warning, they definitely have a break in time of at least two days of full listening. I’m a week in and I’m still adjusting. The pads finally got fully comfortable two days ago (like no fatigue / issues wearing them at all). Same with the sound. I find myself reaching for these constantly instead of my Sundaras for almost any song. Prolly cause I like their signature more, which is all personal preference.

Thats fine, I wanted to give each of these at least a 2 day trial period anyway. I know normal burn ins say like 150 hours or some crap but if I use it for 48 hours and I still am not a fan? probably not gonna be the biggest fan after that burn in period either.

Fair enough. After a day of listening I’d say they are judgeable. I wouldn’t say anything before 24 hours had elapsed though.

Imma say again, if you’re looking for a super detailed, crystalline clear headphone, these ain’t it. They are just fucking pleasant to listen to. I can’t wait till I get a real tube amp to drive them. Again, lemme know if you think the same or just think they’re a muddy uncomfortable pos.

lol oh trust me I will be more than glad to let you know how I feel if it’s a pos but I feel thats unlikely… okay you know what no i take that back cause price definitely does not determine quality in this damn hobby. If those are a muddy uncomfortable pos the company needs smacked upside the head for messing up a good pair of planars priced at $500