DAC/AMP configuration for my PC setup

That’s great! Thanks MazeFrame & M0N for the help! Fostex here I come :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: … do not disappoint me :slight_smile:

1 Like

No not this Model.
I find him not good because the Hp A3 is much better in Sound.
The Hp4bl have a pcm Burr brown chip and is not so dynamic as the Hp A3 with the Akm chip inside.
For the Price you find better Dacamp i think.

I see…I really like the balanced output on the HP-A4BL I plan to use it in the future for LCD2C.
I found here some opinions related to the sound of each chip.
Opinion is for the newer AK4490 chip. The one used in HPA3 is an AK4390.

So I have the Hp A3 at home and the Hp4BL I have 2 come and both times you went back.
In comparison, the Hp A3 was simply rytmis ago, more dynamic, more intimate, more open and did not discolor the sound at all.
I didn’t have that at the Hp4bl, ​​it clearly played something under the criteria mentioned above.
Where the Hp A3 was missing the Hp4bl did better and what was missing on the Hp4 bl made the HpA3 better.
What was bad about the HpA3 was hardly worth talking about.
I swapped the Opa on the Hp A3 and tested it. That would also be possible on the Hp4 Bl. Because I think that the Burr Brown is too discolored. I tested the Burson V6 vivid, Burson v5i and a Opa627. And the V5i was Better. And made the HpA3 better. It would be conceivable that it would also be possible on the Hp4BL. To do this, I would have to order another one to test it. I would prefer it have an Akm chip installed and it were a great device. The Akm4470 are just the latest on the market that can still be paid for. Maybe the Questyle cma400i or the Singxer Sda2 would be interesting for you. Or just keep your current Dac and something like Rupert neve or Jan meier corda Jazz ff Then you would definitely be on the safe side when it comes to performance when you buy your Lcd2. The Fostex Hp4BL could possibly reach its limits.

1 Like

Thank you Deleeh for the detailed description.
I checked the Singxer Sda2, and it doesn’t have any digital out (to behave like a passthrough towards my Emotiva TA-100).
On the other hand Questyle cma400i has the Coaxial Out which is great, but hard to find in Europe and where I found it was 650 Euros.
Maybe a combo between Aune X1S (it has Coax Out) & Aune X7S / Aune S7 (X7S or S7 for better amplification than the one in X1S). The combo above I found it at around 470 Euro (X1S+X7S) - 600 Euro (X1S+S7)
Wound that combo be a better option ?

Hey,
I can‘t say how good the Aune is.
I have never listen it.
What do need for In and outputs for ?

The main source will be the PC connected via spdif either usb to the headphones DAC/AMP -> from here it will connect either via spdif out either coax out to my Emotiva TA-100. The reason that I need a DAC/AMP with a digital out connection is because Emotiva TA-100 has a “bug” presented in the youtube video above: if the speakers are connected to the Emotiva , line output cannot be used. To use it, speakers must be unplugged first. And it is annoying.
I saw that Topping DX7s has a Spdif In and Coax Out…it is suitable also.

Okay i understand.
I take a look on the Specs is really not bad i find with the Akm Chip.
But the specs on the Amp section are a little bit low i find for use the Lcd2 later.

The Lcd2 c is 70 ohm,the amp give singelend 640mw on 32 ohm.
And balanced 420 mw on 300 ohm.
When you buy the Dx7 you must couple the 4 pin with the Lcd 2 so you have sufficent power.
For the Singelend i think is two low and not enough.

Another question why you not keep the Emotiva as Dac and biy only a Headphoneamp?
You have the possibilty to connect it from the Emotiva on the Analog output/Main,and connected too the Headamp.

So a Schiit Herasy can be suffisant at first.Or the Asgard 3
Or a Jan Meier Corda Jazz FF is not expensiv maybe better as the Herasy.
Beresford capella cost a little bit fewer not bad is more neutral and clear,really not bad and Britsh who are made not bad Sound.

The Rupert neve the new Headamp are really not bad when i habe Money i would try it.Is a bit expensiver as the Rest who i tell.

Best Dac/amp section i find have the Questyle Cma400i is for sure a little bit expensiv.But question power has end.

I would have kept the Emotiva as DAC, but it has only as Line Out - RCAs. And as I was telling above, having connected the speakers and something else on Line Out, is impossible to have sound on Line Out. I have to disconnect the speakers in order to have signal on the Line Out.

On paper looks promising. I’m thinking if DX7s doesn’t have enough power for LCD2C, to couple it with an amplifier. But this as a future upgrade.
Questyle CMA400i , I really like this (it can be positioned vertical to save some space) , but in Europe is hard to find. I found it for 800 pounds in UK :slight_smile: and around 700 Euros at mp3store.pl. Not sure if it worth the effort :blush:

2 Likes

In Germany give same Shop‘s who you can buy the cma400i.
And some gives an offer when you write it her.
Or denon Salonai.LT sell the Cma400i for 650€ is a good price,when i have it i buy it imentiantly.
Bit i must save the money a little bit.

Is a bad thing with the Emotiva.Is not good.

I wrote to the shop denonsalonai.lt to see if they can ship it to my country. If the transport is not very expensive, then I’ll take the Questyle :slight_smile:

Year nice,
Tell me the shippment was succesfull,please.
I would buy it in few month the same✌️

Short update: I discussed at denonsalonai.lt and they told me that Cma400i in their offer was the exposed one in showroom and sent me some pictures. It looked in good shape and I ordered it.
Final price was 650E + 40E (shipping). Let’s see when it will arrive :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice, curious to see what you think :+1:

1 Like

Yes me too.:smiley:
Is a fair offer i find.
Ihave see another offer on her site with some Headphone and the prices are not bad and fair.

Coming back with an update for the CMA400i: yesterday the package arrived and it was in perfect condition (it was a sample displayed in showroom). It was 650 E + 40E transport.
I quickly connected it to the PC through Spdif and on DT770 Pro (replaced them today with 660s), I noticed some differences:

• sound is wider and warm
  • voices are a bit more sparkling
  • overall the sound was somehow more detailed
    Differences were not huge, but were noticed. Overall I am very happy with the purchase.

Now to link it to my Emotiva TA-100, I saw that the Spdif Out is a digital coax, and I found near me a Qed cable: https://www.qed.co.uk/performance-digital-audio.html - 1 meter should be enough.
I will put it on my list.
To link it to my PC, I would not go to buy another cable, in this case an USB one, because the Optical that I have now (Qed cable) , it will be useless :slight_smile:
Do you think that there will be differences between USB and Optical ? Source is mainly Spotify Premium and a few flac files.

1 Like

I would make sure to not overspend on any cables imo (don’t spend more than like 20 euro on a single cable imo). Also personally I would try using both a digital connection to the ta100, but also try using the line out of the dac as analog into the ta-100, you can see which dac you like better (the one inside the ta-100 or the one inside the questyle)

I would say use usb if you can, but there really shouldn’t be a noticeable sonic difference

1 Like

Thanks M0N! If there are no noticeable differences, I will stick with the Spdif cable that I have and I will buy a digital coax cable to link to the Emotiva (1 meter should be enough: https://www.in-akustik.de/en/cables-and-accessories/home-hifi/digital-coax-aesebu/premium-video-digital-cable-0041403/). It’s around 20 Euros+5E shipping , or Audioquest Forest 0,75 m (https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/digital-coax/forest) , around the same price.

1 Like