DAC/AMP for Hifiman Sundara

I agree too, in a few tracks, this noise make the track more relaxing and rythimic, like in genres like lofi, downtempo, IDM, ambient and louge, so is not problem with that

About de Ifi Zen Dac, I will consider it, I’ve see is a good DAC/AMP start level for a good price, only my doubts were that if it was enough for a optimal sound for this headphones, thanks for you help!

1 Like

Hello again, I reply this because I don’t find DAC/AMP for desktop on stock, I looking for a portable DAC/AMP for now, for PC, phone and Nintendo Switch if is possible, I looking between the BTR5 and Hip Dac
Between this two. What is the best on sound signature? I’ve read the Hip Dac is more warm but best detail and with bass boost, the BTR5 is more analytic and very comfortable with the portable movility
I can pairing with an amp with them? If possible them can drive an amp without problem on PC?

Hi. Get the Fiio K5 Pro. I use it with my Sundara’s and it sounds amazing​:sunglasses::star_struck:

For the record I found that the Sundara’s sound was notably improved when I added the Zen Can to the Zen DAC then just going with the Zen DAC alone.

2 Likes

How is the volume range dynamic, any challenges with them getting too loud at low volume and cranking in lower volume that would have some effect on channel imbalance?

What improvement did you notice? Tighter bass, better imaging (like instrument separation) or wider soundstage?

I find that applying some EQ to pull back pre-amp levels to -7.7db, boosting up bass to +7.3dB at 32Hz and pulling back a little on 8k Hz -2dB helped tremendously a lot to make them sound better.

I have a sundara but no dac or amp right now. I’m considering the jds amp stack(top choice) vs jds amp + apple dongle vs drop+thx aaa 789 vs any other amp dac combo under $250. Does anyone have any suggestions on what is good?

I personally found the Atom stack a little harsh in the treble when paired with the Sundara, though your mileage may vary. Personally, I’ve tried the Ifi Zen stack and thought it paired a bit better (though I would definitely get the Zen DAC AND the Zen Can, as I don’t think the DAC alone has enough power to make the Sundara sound its best). I’ve heard good things about the Magni 3+/Modi stack, but I haven’t tried it myself, though if you’re willing to stretch your budget the Asgard 3/Modi stack would be even better.

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt reply! I had a look at the asgard+modi as well as the Zen stack combo but it’s too expensive. I’m already stretching my budget to $250 as is. Does the modi/magni perform better than the jds atom stack? (was leaning towards jds due to their comments about same product performance but better customer service)

cmd-23 and a douk u2 pro is a super good entry combo dac/amp and with the i2s reclocker it’s about as good as it gets for under $250.

1 Like

Using with my stack of Schiit (magni heresy/modi) and it’s great! Usually high gain and about 1/4 turn on the dial works best for me, beyond that it’s a bit much. I also apply the EQ from AudioScienceReview via Equalizer APO on the PC to tame some highs and boost the lows a bit. Super happy with the setup so far.

1 Like

Thanks for that info! Have you tried or know the comparison of your stack with the JDS stack? Also, have you had any experience with Schitt’s customer service? And finally, if the heresy is prone to the same sort of schiit lottery that earlier magni’s suffered from?

No experience with JDS labs stuff but they seem to put out solid products with great fit and finish too. Also haven’t had any experience with Schiit’s customer support. I did have the hi-lo gain switch get “mushy” on me and replaced with part from digikey since I bought the unit used. Some scratchiness on the volume pot was resolved by blasting with deox-it and it’s been solid ever since. It’s clean, consistent sound and seems like it has tons of room to scale. I don’t think you can go wrong with either setup.

1 Like

Note that the Heresy supposedly sounds like the Atom Amp, while the 3+ is warmer and smoother. I have not tried either, however.

1 Like