Dac/Amp for passive speakers under $500?

Yes it helps, thanks! I also really would appreciate a sub output as well. Not sure whether I will use it, but it will be pain to not have it when needed though. So that makes the DA-9 amp as a top choice for now. I can even use it on my JDS Element 2, right?

Yessir, I believe you could go from the DAC to the Element to the DA-9 or the amp of your choice via RCA connection. I wouldn’t want to lose the big volume control either!

I hear you on the Sub out. The DA-8 doesn’t have one either. But I think the work around for that would be to get a sub that has speaker outs on it, so you can go from the amp to the sub and then out to the speakers. There is some good info out there on how to do that. But I hear you, the integrated sub out would be a nice thing to have.

It may be way over my budget now, and for just an amp, but… can Schiit Aegir power those speakers nicely? I’m not even sure if the SVS towers are highly efficient for that, because the Aegir has only 20W per channel, but of course Aegir could sound way better than the DA-9 for triple the price?

I don’t really know much about Schiit equipment or the SVS towers, so I can’t really say for sure if that is a good match. But I would think that despite the seemingly low output numbers, the Aegir would drive them OK. Seems to me though that most of the reviews I see involving SVS tower speakers also involve amps driving them that spec out at 100W per channel or more. That said, that is a lot of money for something you may or may not be happy with. Sure doesn’t fit my use case. And you still can’t get one now anyhow, which is just absurd.

the aegir will power them, im sure well, just not super loud. but you can double them up to get more juice down the road. its a fine amp, but better as a mono block then stereo.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just can’t figure out the matching specs and maths between these towers and Aegir. Reviewers mention that just 1 Aegir is better for highly efficient speakers, so I was wondering if the SVS ultra towers are such, by specs? 2 Aegir’s are for more inefficient speakers, they say.