DAC / AMP to listen to Tidal Master with headphones?

Hi, @Krycek, welcome to the forum. Are you US based? If so I think @donjklassen pretty well summed it up, grab a Schiit Asgard 3 and either an Earmen Donald DAC or iFi Zen DAC. The Zen has a bass boost which you may want for the Ananda because they won’t be as bassy as you’re used to with the DT990.

I would also suggest exploring Qobuz. They have a trial period. If their library works for you then you don’t need to worry with mqa and your options open up dramatically.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Okay I will try to explain it to you briefly and concisely.
If you take a Dac regardless if it can read Dsd or not and plug it into a pc it will output over pcm depending on how good the source material is.
So if tidal in flac format plays 24 bit on 44.1 khz the dac can usually do that, which is one corner better than cd format.

Now your Dac X Dsd with the software you have to buy called Audirvana which only supports tidal and qubocz account can be redirected to the Dac and the Dac will do the whole upsampling in a quality that depends on how it is set to say Dsd 256 then the title is 256 times better than the cd and plays bit accurate.
In the case Qualitativer. in principle it is only extrapolated.

If you already use a monster like the Hifi man you said I tell you honestly if you use a Dac that is musical and not analytical it would be a waste.
If you want to have analytical it is also a lot cheaper.
A Thx 789 from Massdrop, jds Labs Atom for example, is enough to get there.

If it should be musical then the Questyle Cma 400i, Singxer Sda 2, Topping E30 would not be wrong with Asgard 3, they have enough power reserves.
And they also have the sound to lean back and enjoy.

And if you really only want to test it, there’s nothing wrong with Ify, the only thing it might lack is power.

1 Like

I probably should have mentioned it, I’m from Canada and Qobuz is not yet available. There is however Deezer Hifi which steams the music in FLAC format.

Attention
Deezer of course supports Hifi but only on hardware like streamers etc.

Deezer does not support Audirvana which makes the Hifi subscription useless for them.
This is a pity, because Deezer is from France just like Audirvana.

With Deezer you are bound to their software platform just like Amazon and Spotify.

If you want to use Audirvana then you have to use Tidal and Qubozz and Hi res, although the latter is not so great.
Everything else does not support Audirvana and vice versa.

Why this is so is probably because it has to do with money, which doesn’t necessarily belong here now, that would be off topic, but I just wanted to mention why this is not possible with Deezer and Co.

There is nothing else at the moment except this possibility to bind one to the other if you want to use it.
Of course this is not a must but a pity if you have a Dac but the Dsd can’t be used to its full potential.

Thanks Deleeh,
I think I am starting to understand the advantages of DSD. As Qobuz is not available in Canada, I am staying with Tidal.
In short, I have to get Audirvana so I don’t have to worry about the MQA format, because the music will be transmitted to the DAC by Tidal via Audirvana, then upgraded to DSD 256 or 512, if it is supported by the DAC.

Tell me if I got it right?

Now I have a Beyer DT990 Pro at the moment, have try and read HiFIMAN Ananda reviews and am planning to buy it. I admit that I don’t understand when you mention that a musical DAC with Ananda would be a waste. Can you tell me a little more?

I’ve been using amazon music hd in Canada for the last little while since it’s been available to us and it’s pretty great. As good as tidal to my ear and no mqa needed. HD tracks are 16 bit and ULTRA HD tracks are 24 bit with no decoding necessary.

Food for thought.

Edit: it’s also less expensive.

1 Like

Hello,
Yes, you got it right about Audirvana.
You can test it out with a month’s trial first.
But that will fit.

No, I thought it would be a waste of the Hifiman if you went in the analytical direction.

But it’s a matter of taste.
I like it warm Musically and true to detail. I like it when you hear how the instruments end at the end, similar to an LP record if you’ve ever heard it.
And don’t just disappear behind the black curtain.
That’s too unspectacular and cold for me.

Although there are headphones that also like to dissect, you have to say that the Denon D9200 is supposed to do that and if you add a rather analytical Dac it can destroy the whole music picture.

That’s why I would personally go to something musical if the hifiman already has a very good resolution, then it cancels one with the other and doesn’t experience a disaster.
But then also experiences a full-bodied, melodious sound.
Like when you enjoy a good whiskey or gin or whatever other delicacies you can find in Canada :wink:.

If you are really just starting out, I would take small steps in hardware.
In the end, this also relieves the wallet.

Stupidly speaking, you can test cheap Dacs with different chips like ESaber, Akm, Burr brown, regardless of whether you order from Amazon and send it back or elsewhere, or listen to a sample in a good hi-fi shop, just don’t buy anything there.
Just to get a feel for what you like and get to know your preferences.

Later you can also buy a better Dac that is a bit cleaner in the circuit and can also drive the performance with the desired headphones.
It usually goes in the direction where you say that is exactly what I was looking for. This is how I imagine my sound as it should sound.

1 Like

You can probable order Qobuz to Canada by using a VPN to England and pay with PayPal. It does not require the VPN after you have made to account.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification. I understand better. My thinking is moving forward thanks to all of you! :grinning:

I have come to the conclusion that I will cut the budget of a few bottles of wine :wine_glass: to put $ 300 more on my DAC / amp heaphones! So around $800.

I found based on your comments to all that I was limited and that these additional $$ will allow me to move to the next level!

Some of you have lied to:
SMSL SU-9
Topping D90
Singxer Sda-2 (less known to me, but looks interesting, @Deleeh, you seem to particularly like it?)
Pro-Ject Pre Box S2
Questyle Cma 400i
etc.

I know that by changing the budget I am restarting the discussion. However, as mentioned, I don’t want to stay hungry and regret in a few weeks / months that I haven’t paid for better.

So, without limiting yourself to the above list which is up there as a guide, with my new budget (around $700 -$800), do you have any new suggestions to identify 2-3 finalist for DAC / amp? :thinking:

I am staying with my DT990 Pro, and buying new Hifiman Ananda for December.

1 Like

Hello,
Yes, of course this changes the situation.
To the Smsl that is still relatively new, there would rather wait until there are more reports of it.
Topping I didn’t have myself, project box rather tends not to go wrong but it works better.
Questyle and Singxer give each other a minimal amount of equipment.
Questyle has a small gain circuit but no remote control.
The Singxer does, and runs in the Dsd under Nos and pcm it has 6 filters that the Questyle does not have.
Both are very close in terms of performance.
The Questyle plays a little bit more musical than the Singxer but not as sophisticated.

For me personally the Singxer was exactly what I was looking for and found in the end: It has a remote control, it plays musically enough, it is well made and with the C version it is galvanically isolated which eliminates the hum noise directly.
Compared to the other toys I had before, it was the first toy that could still satisfy me after months.
And the desire to buy something new vanished.
I am still very satisfied and happy with the purchase and have never regretted it.
I think it’s really great and it’s always fun to put on the headphones and enjoy it, with or without whisky.

For the money I can say you get a lot of audio, which will be similar to the Questyle.
I would say that if the choice of the two was limited, you don’t do anything wrong.
Because both are very good.
And to say it exactly from the construction of the circuit and the price it is as it should be and the homework was done by both manufacturers.
In my opinion Singxer has added a technical improvement to eliminate the humming noise which makes a possible purchase of a Usb Jitter unnecessary and offers a C version or Advance for an additional charge, which is without galvanic isolation of the Usb port for 630 $.

Both would get along with the Hifiman very well and bring it to its limits.

The Topping D90 is in that 700-800 range new.

You might want to wait for others to chime in, but under $500, you have a few options…I think the SMSL SU9 looks great, has a nice feature set, passes the ASR test, and sounds solid to good like most SMSL products. There are a few other options like one of the DragonFly dongles, a Zoorloos, and a FiiO option, ifi but for a desktop, SU9 is nice among a series of solid options.

Under a grand, you might still be looking at Topping D90. The D90/A90 combo is highly regarded. The new ifi NEO iDSD that just came out looks like it could answer your question, too, but I, personally, have not listened to it. Its a DAC/AMP combo with MQA capability and ifi is pretty great.

I think - and again, I’d wait on some other responses - you’d take the next step up to well over a grand before you get much better than the Topping like the Mytek Brooklyn (over 2K), Auralic (over 2K)

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions @BoxingRobes . The D90 needs an additional amp so for the moment a little over budget.
However, I read that he was more analytical, less musical. Do you agree? Any comments?

I found quite a difference in Topping D90 and Denafrips Ares II in my system (Musical Fidelity M6si and Klipsch Heresy IV).

I did blind AB test where I level matched the DACs with SPL meter. I had two Rpi 4:s running Ropiee feeding the DAC:s, Then Roon was playing the same song to the both endpoints same time and I could just switch the input prom the Amp.

My friend was doing the switching for the blind test and I found the D90 to be quite a bit harsher in the high frequency notes. It was not bad in any sense, but produced listening fatigue in my system. (the Klipsch Heresy IVs are really dynamic and revealing) Ares II was really pleasing to my ear and that was the DAC that I kept.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the discussion.

So I am looking to buy my Hifiman Ananda in the next few days.

I read about the Topping DX7 Pro and the Singxer SDA-2C then finally …And I just put the trigger on a order for the Singxer! Thank @Deleeh for the recommandation! :grinning:

1 Like