DAC to pair with powered speakers

Use case: desktop PC – daily driver; watching Youtube, listening to music etc. I do not game on this station as I have another dedicated gaming only station. So, no need to worry about mic inputs etc.

I picked up a pair of 1700BT, I feel that I might be better suited if I had DAC too, but I am unsure what to pick up, as I am noob only dabbling in this for the moment and not looking to dive head-first to full audiophile mode. Although, this could well be a gateway to that end… and if so, I will dedicate another system to that when the time comes, after I learn more about what I want.

I was looking at the ZenDac. I like the price point and dig it’s looks, but what I am on the fence about is that I would prefer to use the optical out of my PC vs. USB. Not sure that’s a thing, or just me personally, but If I have the fiber available why not.

I then saw the Topping MX3 – same price and it has optical in and… Subwoofer out. I could make use of that as I have an old Klipsch KSW-12 not connected to anything, and though perhaps over kill, I think it be neat to resurrect it, and fit in the mix.

Too many options and I’m spinning my wheels…

Tl;DR
I am seeking guidance for accomplishing the primary goal of enhancing my daily driver setup around the choice of speaks I already made, that will enable me to do my normal daily thing and also get back into music – HiRes style.

Thanks

schiit modius

if you only ever plan on dabbling, get the topping. if you feel down the road you will be upgrading, go for the schiit modius.

@joshua_g
Thanks for the input. I looked hard at that and other options, like the Asgard with the 4490 module.
I’ve decided that obviously I have no idea what I really want so, satisfying my basic needs first is where to start, and then see where it leads. In order to help myself stop over engineering everything I’m going to get myself a starter stack. I mean I don’t even have any real headphones… It came down to a Modi and Hersey stack or the Atom DAC and Amp. I am going with the Atom starter set, right or wrong - it will be a place to start.

1 Like