DACs under $1000

Price is in Singapore $ not US $

ohhh… no wonder okay.

Thanks! I may actually go with theirs then… save a bit of money and just backorder one.

It’s probably more trustworthy as well

The Gustard A22 would also be a pretty solid option imo

Do DACs based on one of these AK chipsets sound different to each other in your opinion? As an example… D70 is based off the 4497. I understand architecture is important, but how much does the sound really change?

I think they can sound different depending on how they are implemented imo

There’s the Alex Cavelli AK4499 DAC coming out too soon.

That’s also an option, I forgot about that one

As I understand it, DAC’s with the same chips can still sound very different based on both filtering and “noise shaping” in the digital domain and filtering and the output stage design in the analog domain.

1 Like

At least when it comes to filter options, I cannot seem to hear any differences. Might be because my hearing tops out at 12-13khz.

It’s not really the issue.
The trick with filtering in the digital domain is that filters with fast cutoffs fold interference back into the audible hearing range. The trick that can be done with FPGA’s is to up sample to massive sample rates and build filters that have very slow rolloffs, which minimizes that interference in the audible range.
Then they also so “noise shaping” to in effect move the energy in the noise higher into the frequency band.
On the analog side it’s quality of components, and topology just like any other SS amp.

The chips themselves could do this, and cheap DACs just use the built in functionality of the DAC, more expensive solutions move that processing to external silicon where it can be customized more easily.

2 Likes

Interesting =)
So I have a D90 on the way, so I’ll see how that goes, because I want to compare it to the D70, but right now I am leaning towards trying the Bifrost and Ares as well. Just want to try a few things to see if I’m getting the best synergy for the RNHP + Clears… might already be good with the Topping DAC 70, but doesn’t hurt to try a few things.

I’m honestly in the same boat, I want to try some higher end DAC’s, my solution is to go used.
Pick something considered “good” in my case a used Gungnir multibit, then pick up alternatives and sell what I don’t prefer.
The nice thing about used is you can pretty much get what you paid minus shipping and tax.

Yeah… either going to go used… or carefully take advantage of return policies to be able to audition things. Just need to listen to a few things to see what I really want.
In the case of the Ares… should be easy enough to resell at cost, given the low availability.

That sounds like it was a good deal. =)

FWIW the only negatives I could find on the Are’s were multiple failed USB chips and a pretty bad measurable channel imbalance.
But almost all the reviewers still seemed to like it.

It’s about average for the used ones I looked at.
Seller was relatively local.

how much, if you don’t mind my asking?

$850, I was looking at a Bifrost 2 but it’s not that much more.

1 Like