Daps better than my Iphone with dongle?>

Ok, Audiophiles of the world. I need a list of recommended DAPs that won’t break my pocket and yet sound better than my iPhone with an Apple dongle for my IEM’S. So far I’ve picked wrong and ended up with some pretty generic-sounding DAPs.

That’s hard to do. A lot of audiophiles think daps are useless. Mark from Super Reviews likes the daps. He gave the new hobby m300 a 5 star rating, his first ever for a dap. That’d be my go to. But what do you need it for? The phone might be fine.

1 Like

Amazon.com: USB C to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter - USB Type C to AUX Audio Jack Hi-Res DAC Dongle Cable Cord Compatible with iPhone 15 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy S23 S22 S21 S20 FE Ultra S20+ Plus : Electronics
Don’t know which iphone you have, but I have been very happy with this, for my Samsung galaxy 23. Very good sound for very little money, imo.
Plays up to 24/192

1 Like

that’s why I wrote this…because I ordered that same dap after seeing that review and it’s was complete trash

I have the iphone 14pro and it sounds amazing. The only reason I was interested was because I see so many people using them over their phones that I assumed that they presented better sound quality.

1 Like

Ok, I understand. I have no experience with daps, as I seldom do music on the go. Wish you the best with that search.

1 Like

a lot of the ones that have good sound have crap specs, I got a deal on a secondhand Hiby R6 Gen3 and am pretty happy with it but ymmv, IMO a BT or portable dac/amp is the better way to go (depending on your use case)

2 Likes

I prefer dongles over daps. It is more economical, financially and time-wise. Why spend time fiddling with another operating system on one more device? The Cayin RU6, Moondrop Moonriver 2 TI, L&P W2…They work great with an iPhone.

2 Likes

I think a lot of the time the appeal of a DAP is a dedicated device that is focused and used only for music. I don’t use a DAP but I’ve considered it just because it seems like it might be nice to have something to focus on music on, not have the battery drained, etc. But then I generally find I can solve those issues mentally and it’s easier not carrying a second device

1 Like

There are pros and cons to DAP use…no drain on phone battery…keeps it freed up for what it was intended for and more power usually because most phones are single ended whereas DAPs usually have balanced along with 3.5…I personally use both my S23 and an Aune M1p for truckin…I have a larger DAP (DX300 & M17) for couch use and a desktop for uhhh…a desktop

As good as my phone is amped or running the show by itself…to my ears…if my phone and my Aune got into a beef…the S23 would leave with a hole punched in it’s chest

Aune is Class A architecture… no frills with no album art and non-Android based…simple UI but I like it like that…it’s a purists piece if all you like to do is listen to music

1 Like

If you prefer to use a dongle with your phone, you’re not really missing out as you can get some really good dongles.

I do prefer daps though, I hate having a dongle attached to my phone and furthermore adding additional drain to the battery.

At home I use my R6P2, when I’m out I use my M300, as it’s smaller and lighter.

1 Like

Question, why not a amp/dac? Not hating on DAPs just wondering why go that route specifically
Something you can both connect with cable or go Bluetooth like a FIIO BTR 3/5/7 or maybe a Muse m4 (i have an BTR 5 and a muse m4, both great)

For me firstly, I use an iPhone so restricted with AAC codec only, which is pretty poor.

Secondly, using the m300 isn’t much different to using a BT dongle? Probably not much of a huge difference in size, except now I have a dedicated unit that isn’t requiring use of my phone at all.

Thirdly, at home, streaming from my phone is still adding additional battery drain and The R6P2 is a nice device to use and sounds good.

I’ve recently bought a Khadas Tea and I’ve been pretty happy with it. Uses MagSafe so attaches to the back of the iPhone, making it a little neater than a dongle. Uses its own battery so isn’t draining the iPhone battery.

2 Likes

I did consider that a while back, when I was getting tired of using dongles but before I purchased my first dap.

I personally just much prefer a dedicated audio device though. It’s personal preference of course.

1 Like

The batt drain on a primary device also bothers me. The FIIO KA17 and Muse M4 (also BT) have separate charging ports, which I like tho it’ll adds cables and separate batt so not ideal for ultimate portability.

I wish there were more high quality self-powered options. Mojo2, just about right size but needs adapter for 4.4mm (if it’s needed), not the easiest interface, and batt replacement was expensive on mojo1.

Generally, still finding it hard to get all features in one package outside of a fully featured dap (so far). I have the Q5k (for eq) but not bowled over by its sound so often don’t bother using it. The ol’ simple apple dongle is perhaps ironically the most convenient when it comes to on the go as its the least amount of faff before pressing play.

1 Like

I do a lot of portable listening, alternating between a BTR7, iFI Gryphon, a FiiO Q7, and a FiiO M11 plus DAP. I thought about getting a ‘big boy’ DAP , but the M11 plus seems great to me. What I like over the other options, all using my phone, are some of the nice audio touches: different gain, the ability to upgrade to DSD, the ability to tame harmonics. The EQ isnt good on my model, but I understand more expensive options have better EQ, interchangale amp cards, etc. So, for me, my DAP guves me a bit more ability to adjust the base sound. That said, I love my Gryphon. The X-bass and X-space options are well done and actually make an noticeable difference.

Get a better dongle is my advice if you are fine navigating with your phone and/or prefer not carry two gears around. Some dongle that has more power, with balanced output and with more dynamic range/THD. The apple dongle is actually very decent but not very powerful.

2 Likes