Desktop Setup (Speaker + DAC/Amp)

5in bookself with a sub in a desktop system might be the sweet spot.

1 Like

Yea that’s what I’m thinking. 5in bookshelf with a 5in or 8in sub if I need one!

What are some of the 8in subs available ?

I was looking at some Fostex subs, they also have a 5in sub if 8in is too much for my room.
KEF sub would also compliment the Q150 if I choose it over the Triangles.

I would say a 10in sub is the min. anyone should purchase. But i dont own a expensive sub so maybe others on the forum can offer better insight.

I feel like a 10in would be overdoing it considering the size of my room, and the fact that houses in Japan are relatively close together, so wouldn’t want to disturb neighbors.

Either way, I don’t plan to get a sub at the same timing as the speakers; I’ll first try out just speakers and see if I actually need a sub!

Dont turn the gain up too high on the sub. I like japan hopefully if the world opens i will take the overnight layover. Life is too short.

I will definitely be careful with the sub, looking forward to playing around with EQ too.

Head over to e-earphone in Akihabara if you are looking for any headphones/IEMs, they have quite a good selection and their service is great.

1 Like

Thanks! Japan is like our HIFI holy land.

1 Like

@Shuna For what it’s worth, I am running the Triangle BR02’s and I love them. I am currently driving them with the SMSL S-8 stack. The S-8 stack is doing a great job, but somehow I think the speakers have a bit more to give, so I am considering an amp upgrade, though I haven’t decided on which amp yet. Point being the BR02’s are really good. I wanted the BR03’s really bad but I just could not pull them off for my desk, whereas the BR02’s fit my space perfectly. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input. Good to know that the BR02’s work with the S8 stack without any issue.
Do you have any other speakers, possibly the Q150?
Also, how do you have your speakers placed on your desk? (how far away from the wall and ears?)

No, unfortunately the only other speakers I have tried with the S-8 stack were some Neumi BS5’s and a pair of older Wharfdale bookshelf speakers. They both did a very good job in their own right but lacked the bass response, detail and depth of the BR02’s.

I do have them on my desk, yes. They are about 1.3 meters apart, half a meter from the wall and One meter from my ears as I sit. I have them placed on foam risers that sets them up about 40mm with a slight upward incline. However, there is a sweet spot at about Two meters and slightly above my sitting ear level where these things really give it to ya! Signal chain is as follows:

Source (PC/Amazon Music HD) > Wyrd 4 Sound USB re-clocker > SMSL SU-8 > SMSL DA-8S

Overall I have to say that I am very pleased with this near field setup. I also live in a place where there are neighbors close by, so I have to be careful about sound levels etc. and so far I have had no complaints.

Thanks for sharing your setup, will keep note as reference for my own setup.
I plan to have the speakers around the same distance apart from one another and same difference from my ears. Not sure if I can get half a meter distance from the wall though.

Still trying to decide on a speaker, but as mentioned above, the BR02 even at the $300 discount is the same price as a locally sourced Q150 without discount due to shipping and taxes, so I’m leaning towards the Q150 atm. Even more so if I can get the Q150 for the discounted $300 price point in Japan.

1 Like

I read good things about the topping PA3S
budget amp.

I’m actually looking at the SMSL AO200 atm, possibly pair it with the SMSL DO200 that was just released.

1 Like