Dialogue/Doc work...what monitors?

Yes, you need to build out a special room and then make sure everything is in line for the specific speakers you are looking at. I was (well still am lol) considering a pair of ATC SCM45As and a pair of SCM0.1/15SLs for my studio, but ultimately decided to only consider it if I decided to move where I can build out a room for them

That’s why dsp room correction for other speakers is so nice and can really help for less then ideal setups

I’m building an editing rig (for fiction, animations, board work and hopefully commercials) and have settled on the dynaudio lyd 7 as my mixing monitors.

1 Like

Ah yeah I completely forgot about the lyd, as I was only thinking of the core monitors which would have been too expensive

Also a great choice if they are available where you are

So! Sorry I couldn’t get back to this for the day. Got tangled up.

The Yamaha HS coming up as dry? even in the 8in version? I thought they would be boomy. Or is that “boomy” in the context of studio monitors?

Ah…the lyd 7s. They would be getting into Neumann territory price wise there. But, I believe maybe the Lyd 5 would be more up the alley for the work monitors? I say this because from the previous models listed by @M0N are 4" (KH 80, 8320A,), 5" (Gen 8330, KH 120) and as I read that the MSP 5 had better mids than the 7s, I imagine that 5" is where I would benefit the most of rmy use.

Now understanding that position, I have also come to find other monitors second hand or on offer now that may fit my budget for work monitors, albeit I am not able to read too much into whether their sound would be fitting: Focal Shape 50 -700 a pair (5"), Pioneer RM-05 -600 a pair (5", allegedly very good), Kali LP-6 (6", allegedly what the JBL 305/306 could have been), Genelec M040 -700 a pair (like 8040 but more modern sound?)

Sorry for the bombardment. I hadn’t looked at smaller monitors before because I didn’t understand well how my needs could be translated into what type of monitor would suit me best.

To be perfectly honest, as long as you get a good speaker that can represent sound accurately and understand it’s drawbacks you can work with it just fine.

Talking about the Yamaha I was mainly saying it was dry for a demo pair that you would use for clients. The fluids are a bit sweeter imo.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Truly, really appreciate having a good guidance on how to proceed. In regards to your last post, I gotta say it reminds me of what some people write that regardless of what (although has to be good enough) monitor you use, once you learn the sound and how things are meant to sound on them you are able to mix and master appropriately with them.

I don’t know why I mentioned the DT1770 in the first place, when for the past year (because I have been moving countries) I have used the Ety ER4SR as my workhorse when I had to do basic video work. Maybe it’s because I have been using them a bit more now that they are out of the boxes…

I think that, in order to not really dig into my bank account, and for starters, I am going to get the MSP5 for work. I found them for 380eur for the pair second hand. The price difference with the other options will easily allow me to get good stands (I will have them just behind my desk - likely triangle distance of ~1.5-1.8m between them and my listening position)

Once again. Thank you very much for all the gems of wisdom. I hope you don’t mind if I ever come back with some other questions! :sweat_smile: In case you ever need some other words of wisdom on video or photo, I’ll be haappy to return the favour.

I will update this once I have made some progress so in case someone else lands here in a similar situation to mine, they can see where I landed.

1 Like

Well I hope everything works out for you, good luck :+1: