Do you think measurements can be interpreted to reveal whether a DAC / Amp is warm?

Oh I’m going to watch from the side, but I have no more comments on the subject since I don’t really dabble in the technical side of things and I don’t really think I have much more to add lol, measurements aren’t my thing

@Polygonhell that’s an awesome link. Thanks!

I’m seeing a paradox here.

People say 2nd and 3rd harmonics sound pleasant, yet they say they’re inaudible. So… can we hear them or not?

How can people hear hum/noise from a THX amp when the measurements show the hum frequency intensity is -or should be- inaudible.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/apparently-the-thx-789-is-a-noisy-amp-i-call-bs.13392/

I suggest you follow the wormhole from the above link.

Also, lets say that hypothetically the THX really has no noise to hear. If people consider 2nd and/or 3rd harmonics pleasant, then the general view that THX is “too clinical” or “dry” (as in: not necessarily enjoyable) is appropriate and fits the above argument.

I have no proof of any of this of course - just making an educated hypothesis based on the information available. I may be completely wrong.

1 Like

That would be true but Topping A90 measures even better than most THX amps (if not all of them) yet it doesn’t sound too clinical or dry.
Guess THX messes with the sound somewhere. Could it be phase issue since it does have a strong feedback?

It’s possible :man_shrugging: