Does "Audiophile" USB cables make a diffrence?

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t there a limit for USB transmission? Something like 5’?

I saw these and for a second thought they were Rupert Neve cables…

Turns out it was A Nope.

1 Like

Well i did say i wanted something longer lol

This cable looks cool. i a little expensive and neon green unfortunately. 6ft 45$ Silver plated OFC (Oxygen Free Copper)

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/oyaide-neo-d-series-class-b-usb-cable/h89556000001000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjw88v3BRBFEiwApwLevQUwjColqPdP2IKg5lDj-Lo5lmQgfYeobUS5QoVkPefviZE93dQAIxoCUGwQAvD_BwE#productDetail

Heres one from Roland! They manufacture keyboards. think they would know what their doing. and its 5ft. unfortunately its orange. only 13$ thought. not sure how legit it is. no OFC. “Like all the Black Series cables from Roland, this cable is made from multi-strand copper wire, ensuring precise signal transmission and the elimination of unwanted interference.”

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RCC5UAUB--roland-rcc-5-uaub-black-series-usb-a-to-usb-b-cable-5-foot

Same thing but this ones green thank god:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RCC5UAUM--roland-rcc-5-uaum-black-series-usb-a-to-micro-usb-cable-5-foot

Not that I’m aware of. Over 50ft I know there can be signal loss in networking cable depending on the spec.

Standart USB printer (type a to type b) cable limit in 2.0 is 5m / 16ft.
You probably get data loses etc. Also audio might corrupted.
Charging PS controller over 20ft / 6.5m cable, so at least that works.

USB -C
1m (3.3 feet) — USB 3.1 Gen 2 SuperSpeed Plus
3m (9.8 feet) — USB 3.1 Gen 1 SuperSpeed:
4m (13 feet) — USB 2.0 High Speed:

1 Like

Your supposed to use active repeaters for USB over about 16ft, but I wouldn’t worry about it if it’s working.

1 Like

To expand on what others are saying, the beauty of digital signaling is either all the bits get there or nothing does. There is no degradation of signal so boutique USB, Toslink, and digital Coax cables are all pretty much snake oil, that’s not to say there isn’t value in getting something decently made with a decent jacket to protect the cable and such, but just an extra couple dollars over the cheapest thing available will get you that.

Some of the high end USB audio cables have not even been made a cording to USB-standards.
They might have “better” material inside, so being “better”.
So they might not work tech.correct between devices, device recognition might not work, speed is totally off what it should be and other data issues.
2$ printer cable made with standards might work more correctly.

Monoprice makes a pretty nice cable and its cheap too. 13.39$ for 6 foot. check out this description:

• 23AWG solid-core silver-plated signal conductors for low loss and higher conductivity
  • 22AWG oxygen-free copper power conductors for better power delivery
  • Advanced foamed polyurethane dielectric for low signal loss
  • Quadruple shielded for rejection of RFI and EMI
  • Signal conductors have separate aluminum foil shield
  • Overall oxygen-free copper/tinned-copper braided shield
  • Overall double-sided aluminum foil shield
  • Silver content solder joints
  • 24K gold-plated connectors for best electrical contact
  • Nylon braided sleeve for tangle-free handling

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33463&gclid=CjwKCAjw88v3BRBFEiwApwLevarVx4uN3LAoabB4qeEXtk35x9qDDhk_cbcZnJPGVAOkYEK6hclK3hoCtJEQAvD_BwE

1 Like

That’s correct with a file. If a bit isn’t there, the packet is corrupted and dropped. The transfer is stopped and a new request for the data is made. Not so with audio - it’s essentially a stream. A missing bit = dropped packet = sound degradation. There is no request for re-sending of bad data from a DAC to the source.

Over a single point to point connection that is running a typical length (less than 10 feet) assuming the cable is of some reasonable spec you absolutely are not experiencing any packet loss at the receiving end. I work on computer networks every day. USB has stayed around so long because it’s an incredibly reliable bus for point to point communication. Trust me, there is zero difference in data transmission between a $15 cable and a $95 cable. None. Audiophiles are always in search of better, we can have a fantastic system and we go, hmmmm, what if I did this, and that’s what these snake oil salesmen count on. There is not such thing as an audiophile grade USB cable.

3 Likes

Cool, thanks for that real world perspective on the subject :+1:

I use optical, I mean everyone knows the speed of light is best. :wink:

2 Likes

I have used printer cable, Amazon basics, and audioquest. There’s no difference.

3 Likes

Year me too,have teseted printer Cable vs the Inakustik usb cabel over 50€ and have heard no difference.
Only thing where is good and suffisant when the cabel are Hf restistend and are shielded in my eyes.Need not more.And can find it for 30€/$.

Better yet - use coax. 2 less signal conversions for potential error introduction (electric → light, light → electric).

1 Like

@Rorogo just wait till you wire your full system…interconnects, HP cables/speaker cables etc…you’ll not sleep for weeks instead of just listening to the music?

1 Like